Torquay United v Dover Athletic Sat 13 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

How some people can say there were praiseworthy performances today is beyond me ! It was dreadful to say the least. Ineffectual upfront Holman looks disinterested and has that shot cone back into orbit yet and Lolos is like a puppy running around and achieving nothing !

Midfield was weak again but thought Lapslie did ok and whilst I’m not an Armani basher he is infuriating most of the time and he is not captain material as his body language is appalling!

We have the basis of a mid table team that’s about it and how do we compete with the “splash the cash”teams in the NL ? If it’s not snapping up good EFL players then it’s appointing EFL managers (Stockport’s new boss)

I have faith in GJ but you can see he gets soooo frustrated at the inept performances.

Finally how poor was today’s ref !! Shocking
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

We are a team in transition, and are finding it difficult to field a settled line-up. It was saddening to see both the angry exchanges between GJ and fans who were criticising the performance of AL, and also the reaction of AL to fans after his goals.
AL is an enigma, obviously talented at this level and wanting to be central to our play; however, he is not a natural captain and is not being as influential from his own half and from set pieces as we all would wish. He is a potential match winner and saver, and his second goal was beautifully controlled and skilful; his first goal showed what we should have been doing from the start, faced with a very young looking keeper wearing no. 20 so not evidently first choice.
Our midfield was dysfunctional, strung out across the park often at least 20 yards from one another, and our 2 central midfielders hardly ever exchanged passes. Hence we were uncreative in the opposition half, although KL and the ever-improving KO were lively but did not get service in the second half when Dover came out of their shell and attacked us with pace and numbers. In the first 45 minutes our front 2 were coming off their markers to link play, but that often left a deserted penalty area as there were not the surging midfield runs to fill the void and create goal-scoring opportunities - a void which would have suited AL on the day and CLE when available.
So, GJ, at the risk of having to re-position some players, we need a shake-up of the leadership on-field plus a tactically more purposeful and co-ordinated midfield.
COYY.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

PL21gull wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 08:47 We are a team in transition, and are finding it difficult to field a settled line-up. It was saddening to see both the angry exchanges between GJ and fans who were criticising the performance of AL, and also the reaction of AL to fans after his goals.
AL is an enigma, obviously talented at this level and wanting to be central to our play; however, he is not a natural captain and is not being as influential from his own half and from set pieces as we all would wish. He is a potential match winner and saver, and his second goal was beautifully controlled and skilful; his first goal showed what we should have been doing from the start, faced with a very young looking keeper wearing no. 20 so not evidently first choice.
Our midfield was dysfunctional, strung out across the park often at least 20 yards from one another, and our 2 central midfielders hardly ever exchanged passes. Hence we were uncreative in the opposition half, although KL and the ever-improving KO were lively but did not get service in the second half when Dover came out of their shell and attacked us with pace and numbers. In the first 45 minutes our front 2 were coming off their markers to link play, but that often left a deserted penalty area as there were not the surging midfield runs to fill the void and create goal-scoring opportunities - a void which would have suited AL on the day and CLE when available.
So, GJ, at the risk of having to re-position some players, we need a shake-up of the leadership on-field plus a tactically more purposeful and co-ordinated midfield.
COYY.
Very pertinent comments about the midfield, I also picked up on the distance between players which suggests something needs to be done about the shape in play, however at times it seemed like players were moving away from the ball to avoid receiving it which reveals something about confidence levels of some of the players.

Energy on the pitch does not necessarily equate to hunger or desire, I’d like to see at least 1-2 players with above and beyond determination to win which will hopefully rub off on other players. Lewis often fits this description but I feel we need someone further up the pitch with the same drive.

The team clearly responded to the crowd when things were getting heated on the pitch, so hope this can be built upon in the next game.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Yes Little was MOM purely because he scored 2 goals and everyone else were so abject.
This should not hide that his distribution and set piece delivery were both poor.
Plus he certainly isn't a captain.
We are mid table and based on what we have seen so far this season is where we will finish.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

We need two things; a strong pacey left back and a robust centre forward who can hold the ball up. The rest of the existing players should dovetail around that. Not sure that Holman will keep his place as a starter.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Didn't attend the game yesterday, extremely proud dad to have taken my daughter up north to her university open day yesterday. Listened to the game on the drive back so got a real idea that collectively the team performance was no where near the level it should have been.

What angered me, was to hear little got booed yesterday, had to turn off Facebook last night also. Why do some fans think that paying the entrance fee gives them the right to act, and react to players in whichever manner they see fit ?

One fan said " we weren't booing Little, just the decision to give him motm" Well then you were booing the player.

Another in response to a post said " Yer he scored 2 goals but that's all he did " Not sure quite when it'll dawn on this person the game ended 2.1 to TUFC , so not for the first time this season, Little individual contribution won us the game.

If we look at the fact little has scored 7 of TUFC's 21 goals I make that, he alone is responsible for 33% of our goals, and Little's 6 assists put him 50 % higher than anyone else on that statistic, will it dawn on the minority of our terminally stupid fans, that little's own contribution coupled with Dover's points deduction are the only two things that have separated TUFC from being sat bottom of the league right now.

Don't think little was anything but totally justified to react to the fans who'd booed him minutes before they cheered his winner, certainly nothing ridiculous or petulant about it in my book.

As a footnote, when you boo a player whilst the match is in Progress, however you want to dress it up, that's 'abuse' no player deserves that, especially not your statistically best as Armani Little is, so don't come to me in person, or on any message board telling me Little shouldn't have reacted in that way , it's nothing far short of pathetic from our fans, it's they not Armani Little who need to grow up.
Formerly known as forevertufc
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

forevertufc wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 09:31
What angered me, was to hear little got booed yesterday, had to turn off Facebook last night also. Why do some fans think that paying the entrance fee gives them the right to act, and react to players in whichever manner they see fit ?

One fan said " we weren't booing Little, just the decision to give him motm" Well then you were booing the player.
While it was very much a small minority of fans (most people seemed to be looking at each other and saying variations of "WTF?" when the booing started), it was disgraceful and absolutely unwarranted. The mentality baffles me. Do these morons seriously think that professional footballers have no sense of when they're having a bad game? You know, like they might think they're playing absolutely brilliantly were it not for the vocal feedback of the tactical footballing geniuses in the stand?

They honestly think that paying for a ticket gives them an unfettered right to abuse and shout at players. If they honestly believe that, then their moral compasses are **** and there's no reasoning with them.
TUST member 203
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

forevertufc wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 09:31 Didn't attend the game yesterday, extremely proud dad to have taken my daughter up north to her university open day yesterday. Listened to the game on the drive back so got a real idea that collectively the team performance was no where near the level it should have been.

Another in response to a post said " Yer he scored 2 goals but that's all he did " Not sure quite when it'll dawn on this person the game ended 2.1 to TUFC , so not for the first time this season, Little individual contribution won us the game.

If we look at the fact little has scored 7 of TUFC's 21 goals I make that, he alone is responsible for 33% of our goals, and Little's 6 assists put him 50 % higher than anyone else on that statistic, will it dawn on the minority of our terminally stupid fans, that little's own contribution coupled with Dover's points deduction are the only two things that have separated TUFC from being sat bottom of the league right now.

Don't think little was anything but totally justified to react to the fans who'd booed him minutes before they cheered his winner, certainly nothing ridiculous or petulant about it in my book.

As a footnote, when you boo a player whilst the match is in Progress, however you want to dress it up, that's 'abuse' no player deserves that, especially not your statistically best as Armani Little is, so don't come to me in person, or on any message board telling me Little shouldn't have reacted in that way , it's nothing far short of pathetic from our fans, it's they not Armani Little who need to grow up.
Will put 👏👏 the lad should of been celebrating the winning goal sad that he felt he couldn't after that abuse,there was some fans at him ten minutes into game. Let's hope we keep him and he not off in January 🙏🙏
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

6667GULL wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 09:28 Yes Little was MOM purely because he scored 2 goals and everyone else were so abject.
This should not hide that his distribution and set piece delivery were both poor.
Plus he certainly isn't a captain.
We are mid table and based on what we have seen so far this season is where we will finish.
Yeah he terrible let's get rid 🥱🥱🥱
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

[qcan anyone answer this why didnt fans boo the motm at the two games we lost 4-0 & 4-1 at home 🤔🤔🤔uote][/quote]
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Unfortunately a stack of games into the season and most of our players are still having "bad games" every game. There's only so much people who've paid good money will sit in silence for. I don't normally say anything during the game, because it's not helpful to players, but I understand those that do.

And they do need geeing up at times, we can't be past the time when a grown man can't take being shouted at!
And no I don't think people weren't booing Little, they were booing the fact the whole team were shocking and no one deserved a MoM. His second goal showed it was the correct decision. Maybe if he hadn't been fired up by the reaction, he wouldn't of been in that position to score at the end.

The problem with statistics is you can still take them subjectively. You could say with a better standard of delivery from another player, we'd of had a similar or better goal ratio. So you can't use one player statistics.

I've no problem with players or manager giving some choice words back to the crowd, if they've had some stick themselves.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Taelee73 »

The reason we didn't boo the other games. Shock I guess. And the fact we were roundly outplayed. This game was against the bottom of the table, and we were terrible. You get a 1-1 away at Wrexham, you expect better.
Younonothing
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Younonothing »

So play better and get beat !! we won what do people want this is the national league 3 points thats what matters
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well of course you can use individual player statistic's, they are vital, relevant and extremely important to professional coaches and managers, who invest a lot of time looking at them, as it obviously helps to alert them to things they may have missed or to confirm an opinion developed during match play, bigger clubs with their money and technology have coaching staff looking at individual players stats during match play. It's also widely known professional scout use FM, because it has over 1,000 world wide researchers, and is known for having extremely accurate player statistics and information.

Anyone who thinks you can't use individual players statistics, would only do so for two reasons, one; they haven't got the first clue what they're talking about.

Two; Want to hide reality, because it's doesn't support their own poor argument.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Taelee73 »

I'd never pretend to have an indepth knowledge of football. I do however know, my interpretation of statistics is as viable as yours, and without the need to question your competance with it. I do also know when a teams played poorly against a side bottom of the league. You only need eyes for that.

I also know data can be interpreted in numerous ways to fit the criteria of what the user is trying to conclude.

As I said before, you can't compare his statistics unless you have someone else in his position to compare them too, and for a period of games. Some good old fashioned empirical data. Although I'm sure his would compare favourably.
If another player scores less, sets up less, then Littles doing well. if another player scores more or/and sets up more from the same position, then you guessed it, Little is only doing ok, and isn't the saviour of our season. It's not rocket science.

Keep nodding your head, sooner or later someone will come along and pat it.