Torquay V Woking - Mon. 30th Aug - 3pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

The deluder wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 17:06 Back to the NLS then for 2022/23.
You're living up to your name, moronic post.
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

That is what happens if you sign a load of virtually unknown players
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

We're not even at the end of August and I'm depressed already!
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Starting to think all the talk of 'signing players as good as the ones we've lost' is all just salesman tactics. The team looks bereft of pace, physicality and quality. Our full backs offer zero. These additions look way below par. Need some decent loanees fast!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I would like to thank Circus Extreme who are currently performing various acts on Paignton Green for kindly loaning Torquay United football club 11 clowns for today's match at plainmoor.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Totally bullied out of this game.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

How many days did Gary say he’d give this squad?

Ten? How many are left?!

We still have the makings of a strong squad but lack balance, pace and physicality across the park.

2-3 quality loan signings could tip the balance but we will still lack depth in terms of cover for injuries (or a plethora of red cards?!)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 17:40 I would like to thank Circus Extreme who are currently performing various acts on Paignton Green for kindly loaning Torquay United football club 11 clowns for today's match at plainmoor.
Uncle Clarke needs to open his wallet a little wider ;-)
#5yearplan
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Let’s get the refereeing performance out of the way first, diabolical referee , who, in my opinion wasn't fit, struggled to keep with the pace of the game, more than once had his back turned to play, unaware of what, was going on around him, and the referee was about as consistent as a Bovine with tummy trouble. But let’s make no bones about it, the referee was not the reason why our team were so easily beaten, the referee cannot in any be blamed for this result

Where do I start with performance, I want to happy clap, I really do , but I find myself walking away from Plainmoor for the second game in a row absolutely fuming. You know you’re in trouble when 2 minutes in there's a challenge on Connor Evans, and it happened right in front of me, not complaining about the referee here, whether it was a foul or not he didn't give it you have Connor Evans berating the referee, several other players busily having a chirp at the ref, while Woking crossed the ball over and stuck in the back of our net, basic schoolboy football play to the whistle.

Then, and were still within the first five minutes, from the next cross we've given them all the time and space for the Woking player to sit down and e-mail his mother before planting a powerful header the Halstead couldn't keep out, although the linesman had to signal it had crossed the line, clearly by the reaction of both teams it had crossed the line.

It would only get worse as the game went on, at least v Altrincham we had spells of possession and some good passages of play, at no point in time in this match did our team string a few passes together, or remotely cause Woking any problem at all, 11 v 11 with in the first 15 minutes Woking could and should have been 0.4 to the good, as two further free headers were kept out by some last ditch defending.

And if there's any doubt whether we were architects of own downfall, Woking have possession in their final defensive third, when Johnson comes flying in with tackle he didn't even need to make, at that point they were going nowhere, whether it was a red or not, we've given the ref a decision, to make when there was no need.
Today Woking was fitter, stronger and faster than us all over the park; don’t really want to talk about match anymore.
I do have some questions to ask because I’m fed already. What’s going on at our club, why have we for the third season in a row started with so many players were clearly are not fit?

What was the point of building a squad? We’ve clearly started with at least two players Evans and Hall who look a million miles of being fit to play 90 minutes, watching Hall’s mobility today was embarrassing, surely you’ve to start with 11 players who fit to play 90 minutes of football, they’ve absolutely creamed us in the midfield today.

Once again little was subjected to abuse, what or how some fans do think abusing is going to help his or the team cause ? He is not nor is he ever going to be a ball winning midfielder, so the ball winning midfielder is on the match, doesn’t come on Lapslie so I’m guessing he isn’t fit either.
To repeat my message after the Altrincham game, it is still very early in the season, and we’ve been promoted of more prolonged and worse starts, will say also that I truly believe Gary Johnson is the right man to sort this out, but do wish he’d be a little less stubborn .
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

What an omni-shambles! Two down against a team who scored on their first two visits to our penalty area (incidentally, it was the same against Altrincham) and then the red mist descends for another red card leaving the rest of the game for Woking to choose just when to score again. They could have had double their four except for a MOTM performance by Halstead (again just like Altrincham). We managed no attempts on goal before the sending off and only six afterwards with a solitary effort from distance on target. Admittedly Rogers did shake the bar towards the end but their keeper will never again have such a comfortable game. I am seriously worried about this group - a total of 5 yellow cards today with none against shows that it was men against boys - again similar to previous games. Our disciplinary record is already the worst by far in the division and shows how far out of their depth this squad is. A long season of disappointment seems inevitable.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

How the brain loves to attach itself to negatives - 3 games in and it appears many have now become Velcro supporters of negativity and written off the season. After our poor start it can feel pretty overwhelming to have a season’s worth of games still ahead, but the season is long. If there is one thing I have learnt over the years - it’s not where you start, it’s where you finish.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well that was a horror show I kid you not.

My mate had his grandson with him aged 14 and on the books of Bristol City. The lad said after the game "Grandad Torquay players are not fit Woking were half a yard quicker all over the pitch". I really had to agree with him.
Rogers who came on at half time was so unfit that 10 minutes from time he gave up chasing a Woking player because
he was so slow and unfit. He has ability but so unprofessional to be this unfit. Who is responsible for conditioning?

You cannot compete in the National League which is very physical and demanding with lightweights and tiny players up against tall strong super fit teams.

This will be a real wake up call for Gary & Aaron. We cannot complain 2 games in 48 hours because same for Woking who will not get an easier 3 points away this season.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I thought against Altrincham we were poor.Today, well I think I would have a strong case for getting my £16 back under the trade descriptions act(it it still exists). We were totally inept from start to finish, not for the first time we had no answer against a physical team, the only one who could hold his head up come pay day was Lewis. If any offer came in for him he would be daft to turn it down because the way we are playing at the monent is doing his career no good at all. I will hear no arguements about tired legs or poor referrees, its an excuse, its is part and parcel of this league and they are allegedly pro footballers. Woking had a handful of players that were taller,fitter, wider and stronger than us but we continued booting high balls up against their back line, their centre halfs will not have an easier 90 minutes all season. there is no point in having talented ball players like lemonhegh and little when they get bullied all the time, in the case of Little how he did not get sent off I do not know,whether it is because he is no longer king of the hill but his attitude today was appalling. It was well into the second half before we had our first shot on target and we got another four bookings, soon we will not need to worry about injuries, half the first team will be suspended. If there is not at least three quality arrivals before saturday, not of the untried youth variety then I fear for our season.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 18:16 Uncle Clarke needs to open his wallet a little wider ;-)
#5yearplan
Southampton Gull, Who do you think paid the Circus for the clowns ?
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Yet again shown how to do the basics, whereas we can only hoof high and long; what on earth do we do on the training ground? Apparently not anything to do with teamwork or passing. Comprehensively outmuscled, outplayed, and, alas for our sole tactic, outheaded. How do we expect to control games and actually make scoring chances without the ball when even with 11 on the field we were very second-best all over the pitch?