Gordon Astall

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Gordon Astall

Post by gateman49 »

Let's remember Gordon on this forum as there are postings elsewhere about him and his passing at the ripe old age of 93.

I'm lucky enough to remember his all too brief career as a Torquay player and his incredible goal against Shrewsbury in a home game in 1962. He came to us towards the end of his playing days but, even then, he was one of those players that, when he got the ball, it looked as if it was tied to his boots. We've not had many players like that.

He was the oldest full England international when he died last week.

Thanks for the memories Gordon and rest in peace.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

A great tribute gateman 49. I didn't realise that he was the oldest living full international. I didn't see him play live, just the odd clip.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

At 62 I`m too young to remember Gordon as a player but I do remember him as an insurance representative in the Torbay area around the mid 1960`s I think. A true gentleman. If I not mistaken he used to drive a blue late model Morris Oxford that had numbers 777 in its distinctive number plate. Any of you older than me please feel free to help me out here.