Gulls v Halifax

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

An important result. We can look up the table not down now.
Deserved the win I think, although we nearly gave it away in added time.
We started playing some good passing football despite the wind but missed Armani when he went off.
Reidy28
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Reidy28 »

To the fans in popside singing “Stannos is six feet under “du du du “ you are disgusting & vile. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. Bang out of order!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thought we were the better side and passed the ball well and were solid at the back for 95 minute and then phew! in the last minute. Cameron and Candy played well and we got a clean sheet. I thought we missed quality width. Whitfield works hard but very few crosses from wide positions Kalala gave the ball away when he came on. Andrews came on and fitted in perfect carrying on where Little played but switched with Evans to the left hand side. I noticed early that Little was walking with a limp and could see the injury coming on him. The keeper did his job today things are looking up. :keepie:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

My first game since Yeovil on New Years day, boy it felt good to be back on the popside. Game started well for Torquay, with The Gulls quick out of the blocks, good quick incisive passing, Evans and Little linking up well in central midfield, with Armani Little running the show, however Torquay couldn't seem to turn their early possession into chances.

But the cohesion in our teams passing was soon lost as Little went off injured, he's shown in short spells when he's been fit how much we've missed him, hopefully the club can get this lad fit and playing regularly again soon, the team seemed to drift away from the early good football into playing little dink balls forward, meat and drink to a big strong Halifax team, who's keeper was an absolute monster (in a good way) The first half some what fizzled out with Torquay the slightly better side, but neither side creating much in front of goal.

Second half it would be Halifax who came out of the traps quickest, their pace caused early problems, Colovan soon called into action, turning a shot around the post, and from the resulting corner pulled a truly top class save, getting a strong hand to a fierce header keeping the score 0.0

Again Torquay were just about the better side, but Halifax were constantly posing threat on the break with their Pacey front line, it was hard to call which way this match was going, however Torquay took the lead with Azeez nodding home after an impressive save from the Halifax keeper, has to be said Azeez to me had an impressive debut, looking sharp, and was always on the move.

Also to be fair in the last few minutes, plus the 6 minutes of injury time Halifax had us on the ropes, not sure which player it was, might have been Evans who flung himself in front of what would have been a goal shot, but almost right at the death we can thank Wynter, who anticipated a Halifax player was going to hook the ball into an empty net with Colovan stranded, slid across blocking an almost certain goal, with the ball rebounding onto our crossbar, thankfully the team managing the clear their lines.

So in the end, the players hung on for a vital win, that leaves looking up the table rather then down it. Well done all at the club, especially the pre match tributes.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I cannot disagree with anything forevertufc has said in his report.
The key thing for me was that Jamie Reid did not seem so isolated with Ade Azeez alongside him.
I feel so bad for Armani Little having to go off after just 23 minutes. He was playing so well.
I do not think there was a weak link in the team today and some of our last ditch defending was top drawer.
If we can put a run of three wins together on the bounce we will definitely be in with a chance of the play offs so every thing still to play for.
COYY
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Our best performance for some time. I thought Azeez showed great promise on debut and deserved his goal. We were on top for large periods of the first half without taking any of our chances.
What I thought was strange is that Ready was playing so deep. I would have expected him up top alongside Azeez but he kept dropping deeper and deeper. He didn't get much of a look in from a strong Halifax defence so maybe he thought that was his best option?
I think overall we just about deserved the win against a well organised and physical team. However, we have to go on and win next week now to start a run going. I think we will.
Connor was given MOM which I couldn't believe. He looks someone short of confidence to me.
Asa had a good game today. I think we really missed him when he was out injured, a real leader.
Well done GJ, onwards and upwards.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Thought Lewis was very good today and made up for some of the usual Cundy/Cameron mistakes

What a substitution decision as Wynter saved the points along with Evans who blocked a shot very well

Thought the ref was weak in his ability to control the dissent and moaning and 6 mins of added time felt he thought Halifax should get an equaliser
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thought that was a superb performance, tremendous spirit and fight. Only the final pass was missing from us creating more chances. We deserved that win. Fantastic block by Ben Wynter at the end just after coming on after 2 months out. Reidy had a bit of an off day , he is finding it tougher in the second half of the season as teams are more aware of him and marking him a lot tighter but he will come good again. Hard to pick a MotM , a similar performance will be too good for Chorley but we must produce that level of commitment again
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Overall we deserved the points, although after the first 45 I thought we may have squandered our best chances for the win, Covolan had a good game and I agree I don't see why Reid was coming so deep other than having been told to do that by the manager, he is best when he is running onto balls not hovering in front of the midfield, but heh ho Johnson will have seen that strategy does not work and comes up with something fresh for the next game.
A good three points against a top three team although on this showing I am not sure what they are doing there.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 17:06
Why can't people stop trying to second guess the best manager we've had in ages. Let him do his job ffs.
well said.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Teigngull wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 16:05 Armani Little TUFC's version of Andy Carrol.
Its no good being forkin injured fo 50% of the season .
Especially when we're in our position.
Can't afford luxury players at this club, time to rethink his value to the team & at the moment less than useful.
For me Little was different class for the first 20 minutes today !!! Hopefully GJ was not playing down the injury but it looked bad and he seemed not happy. A good performance against an in form side in front of a disappointing crowd. New lad up top looks good. Hopefully we can press on towards play offs!!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Thing is fred, we need Little being that different class for 90+minutes week in week out not just 20-30 mins every 10-15 fixtures.
We're not a club that can carry a player on a decent contract & not deliver week in week out, it's a harsh world in lower league pro football , any other business wouldn't entertain employing anyone who only turns up for work 15- 20 times a year.
A fit Armani Little is an asset to any club at our level, but right now he's not, is he ?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I was worried for Little from the start - he was wearing a hamstring strapping - and so it proved. A slightly miss hit ball and he immediately went down. Hopefully, it will have been another tweak and not a full pull or tear but he does now seem to have a weakness there. He was missed after he went off I thought - the very bright passing game at the outset disappeared although overall it was a good performance - particularly defensively where I thought Lewis was outstanding - against a very strong, well set-up Halifax team.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Halifax Manager having a right old moan that they did not deserve to lose and we had 3 players stood offside when we took the decisive free kick which resulted in the winning goal.
Did give us credit though for our blocks which prevented them scoring.