Torquay United v Yeovil New Year's Day 2020

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I got that wrong , I thought we would have enough in attack to score today considering they have conceded 7 in the last 3 games but not today not even against 10 men. I think they would have won with 9 men. They were far quicker and stronger, actually seemed to control the game with 10 men although we did improve later on. I can see them winning the league, far better than Barrow unless they have improved. There can be no doubts now that we need new players.
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by wbw »

And a new manager
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by wbw »

Men against boys.
And boys who had no direction or organisation
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I thought Paul Mulhearne summed it up accurately on Radio Devon. He implied it was men against boys, that the team were clueless as to how to take advantage of a man extra and the entire defence, including goalkeeper, needs to be cleared out in the transfer window.

The defence put on a truly woeful display. Players getting themselves needlessly booked after the Yeovil sending off thus putting defenders under extra pressure - indeed I remarked at the time of Niate's booking that almost the entire defence was treading a fine line and could see another dismissal. So it proved when the aforesaid gave the referee the opportunity to even the numbers up with a totally unnecessary second yellow. His general display after a good game against Woking was the worst of a very poor defensive unit.

The midfield was not much better with only Whitfield showing any quality. This meant that Keating and Reid had almost no service and Reid, in particular, had to drop deeper and deeper to get in the game.

It is not as if Yeovil had to work particularly hard for their win. They went to a compact 4-3-2 after the sending off and never relinquished a stranglehold on the match. They were rarely under pressure - we had only 7 attempts all match, only 4 on target and only one of those actually extended their keeper (a very good save from James late on). We could have played on all night and not have scored. In contrast whenever Yeovil came forward, especially from set pieces, they looked like scoring. It is a sign of our defensive frailties that we look so unconvincing when under pressure.

Their second goal - a sucker punch if ever there was one - came from a clueless ball forward from the back with everyone up and allowing Yeovil's front two to break clear and score a good break-away goal.

At least Aaron Downes in his report acknowledges the defensive problems but what responsibility does he bear for this when he is defence coach?

Well, we will be without Niate for the next game - having run out of midfielders before Christmas we are now running out of defenders. This must be addressed as a priority - not with yet more green youths with potential but some experienced hands.

D&R are another team with a dreadful recent record. The next match has become a must-win affair.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

I see there is no MOTM thread for this game. Suggest we shouldn't bother starting one - no one deserves much credit. Except for the crowd that is - 4,165 is highly creditable on such a dank day.
Phil

wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by wbw »

Niate was a dickhead BUT everyone except Johnson could see it was an accident waiting to happen.
Last edited by wbw on 01 Jan 2020, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Just shows how far away we are, outstanding performance from Yeovils 10 men, I think they would have won with 9
Much quicker and stronger than us
I thought we would have enough in attack to trouble them but we didn't. Several new players needed.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Beaten by a far better team today as some have posted. Fair play to their management. As soon as we went to 3 at the back they brought on Murphy to cause us problems and Niante gets sent off. I still don't think a massive overhaul is needed. Our problem is we have no full backs to support our two wide players. How many times did Lewis/Cameron get the ball in wide areas and not have a clue what to do with it. Afraid or reluctant to move forward and create something. This makes us very one dimensional and easy to defend against.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think I am more annoyed by Downes post match comments than the team today. We were Naïve and they were more experienced so states Downes who actually had the balls to face the press, Well just to remind you, it was you and Johnson who signed these naïve and lacking in experience players when the majority of us throughout the season have been stating forcefully that we lacked players with experience. But you are the management team you obviously know better than us, Increasingly it seems you don't. Knee jerk signings from the ninth tier were never going to work, if they were any good,teams with proper scouting systems would have snapped them up long ago. Players that haven't played for a year, really, and for your next trick, play gilbert up front.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It was what it was men against boys but there were mistakes that should never happen at a professional football club on a regular basis. I would have left Lewis on in the centre-half position as he is a better balanced player.

Yeovil were the better side from start to finish but we had chances and could have won the game. The officials were very poor and how the referee can blow up when a player is fouled outside the penalty box, he lets him play on, then he gets fouled again in the penalty area, :red: blows his whistle and takes the play back to the first incident outside the penalty area.

Garry need a big strong defender.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Yes that was a penalty. Ridiculous decision by another referee who wanted to be the centre of attention.
Agree surprised Lewis was taken off and Niate left on , only to be sent off minutes later. Johnson quite often subs if a player gets a yellow
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

There was also a cast-iron penalty for handball before that. It looked like both hand and ball coming together and not the usual get-out of ball to hand. But let's be fair - we were beaten by a much better side and didn't deserve anything out of the game.
Phil

Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Good comments from Yeovil manager about going down to 10 men. He was saying how often in a move do you need 11 men? Not often. So going down to 10 men isn't that difficult in his eyes.
Fair play to them. Much more streetwise and more physical presence all across the park.
Surprised the away following was fewer than what we took to Huish Park. If we were in their league position I think we would have taken 1500 up there.
January is here, time for some changes. I personally think we need more physicality. Looking a soft touch in areas at the minute.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Really awful performance and beaten by a better team. What dissapointed me is that we could not keep hold of the ball against 10 men and made it so easy for them. We lack quality in all areas of the pitch (not just in defence). Cameron's distribution was terrible. How was Whitfield meant to win those long diagonal balls? Niate is truly out of his depth and a liability. I like Keatings attitude and enthusiasm but unfortunately he is not good enough for this level either. He has a poor first touch and for a striker he doesn't make the right runs.
GJ has been far too loyal to some of these players. He obviously realises that and I do back him to sort it out. However, don't expect it to happen this season, it's surely a case of building for next year.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

In front of a bumper crowd of 4,165 we witnessed a terrible game, lacking in any quality, and punctuated by what seemed a foul a minute.
When Dagnell received a Red Card on 11 minutes I thought we should at the very least get a point but as usual our kamikaze defence enabled Yeovil to take the lead just 4 minutes later.
Niate is a total liability and way below National League standard.Every game you are just waiting for his next crucial mistake. He is a monster of a man but his head is a along way from his feet. He frequently miss kicks and has made a habit of getting the stupidest yellow cards. Before he got his second yellow he was arguing with his Captain Kyle Cameron. Never a good sign.
When we get Ben Wynter and Liam Davis back we will still have a problem unless we get a big strong no nonsense Centre Back to play beside Cameron.
I think Sean McGinty is better than some think at least he gets rid and has 2 more years experience under his belt.
When Little and Vincent are back midfield will be stronger but we badly need a strong player alongside Reidy because Lewington is not the answer if we really mean business.
A massively disappointing day just when we had the chance to impress a big crowd.