(H) V. Woking 28/12/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

How did Gerring perform?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Really pleased for Keating
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

wivelgull wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 16:54 How did Gerring perform?
Not great
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Dave_Pougher wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 17:11 Really pleased for Keating
Proved his worth hopefully he will get a run in the starting line up now!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

It was a real pleasure to be at the game today.

I was nervous after we conceded the first goal but you could see the team rallying each other which was exactly the kind of spirit that was needed to trigger the fight back.

It really was a cracking team performance with some standout individual performances to create the magic

The midfield looked very well organised today and Whitfield, Keating and Nemane looked a constant threat down the flanks, and Conor and Hall controlled the middle. It really was a delight to see the combination of Conor and Andrews when he came on, added a whole new energy and dynamic to see us through to the end.

The backline of 4 centre backs looked 100% committed and worked as a unit to keep Woking at bay, you can see their confidence has taken a beating of late but they all showed resolve today.

Reid and Keating were playing well off each other and Lewington added some additional power when he came on.

Well done lads
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 17:35 It was a real pleasure to be at the game today.

I was nervous after we conceded the first goal but you could see the team rallying each other which was exactly the kind of spirit that was needed to trigger the fight back.

It really was a cracking team performance with some standout individual performances to create the magic

The midfield looked very well organised today and Whitfield, Keating and Nemane looked a constant threat down the flanks, and Conor and Hall controlled the middle. It really was a delight to see the combination of Conor and Andrews when he came on, added a whole new energy and dynamic to see us through to the end.

The backline of 4 centre backs looked 100% committed and worked as a unit to keep Woking at bay, you can see their confidence has taken a beating of late but they all showed resolve today.

Reid and Keating were playing well off each other and Lewington added some additional power when he came on.

Well done lads
Cheers for that BG.
Sounded a great game on TUFC radio! :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Crisis, what crisis?

At 0 - 1 we looked shaky for a while. Lewis, who seemed to me to have had a good game, epitomised the defence though by shepherding out their left winger who was on a mazey run. From there we went up to the other end and, at last, we got a lucky rebound as Hall's shot was deflected past their keeper for the equaliser. Our second will repay another viewing as their keeper seemed to make a mistake and then palmed the ball up into the air for an almighty scramble on the line. Eventually, Reid toe poked it in.

Overall, we were worthy leaders at half time, the first half being broken up by a succession of fouls from Woking with a number of players getting booked.

It was more of the same in the second half until Poku their 14 lunged in on one of our defenders. Play carried on as we broke with the ball but Nemane ran into a blind alley and it went for a goal kick. Durkin then ran the length of the pitch back to our goal mouth to book and send off Poku who had been booked in the first half for persistent fouling. Either their manager or his translator then got a yellow card for persistently mouthing it off at the relevant lino and the fourth official.

As Woking left more gaps at the back we got glimpses of Evans back to his most incisive best and one lovely dummy sent two defenders the wrong way in the box but his cross wasn't converted. It didn't matter though as we were good value for two more goals and, if I'm being critical (who? me?) we could have scored more as they tired. Keating's late blast was a peach into the top corner and he had time to do a forward somersault in celebrating.

A final word for Durkin who had a good match.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Well that was an enjoyable afternoon.
It looked ominous for the first 20 minutes as Woking were causing chaos in our defence with high balls but we were still making chances and once we scored were the better team for the rest of the match.
So glad Keating scored at the end as his energy & commitment deserved it.
I posted a couple of weeks ago that we'd raise our games for Woking and it would be the turning point - let's hope it continues.

And for a change the ref had an excellent game. Kept it flowing, willing to play advantage but rightly booked quite a few players (although Keating's was very harsh).
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 17:35 It was a real pleasure to be at the game today.

Well done lads
Agree with that assessment!!! Nerves seemed to pass in the second half. Total commitment from everyone was so different to Boxing day. Hall was immense in the middle. 4 centre backs lack pace but clueless Woking kept hoofing the ball up in the air which played into our hands. Great feeling tonight and GJ, AD and the players will feel a lot better after that performance. Something to build on!!!
Shot By Both Sides
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Alex Finney

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

Now THAT'S more like it Gulls!

Sat on Woking station on the way home from our game and just seen your score.

Obvs anyone thrashing Woking is great news for us and at least you have halted your worrying slide!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

That was a fantastic performance to stop the rot! Excellent pressing from Reid and Keating, lots of committed challenges across the park, good chasing back and a real team spirit evidenced when we went 0-1 down!

There were nervy moments here and there and we could have been 0-2 down but overall I think the win was fully deserved.

Get in!
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Getting it right in the centre of midfield is obviously always really important and sounded like the combinations of Hall and CLE and then CLE & Andrews were both really effective today.

Andrews is by his own admission a centre midfielder and whenever I’ve seen him play there he’s looked really effective. Understand that him and Connor have grown up playing in the middle together too so would be good to see them both in there more often - although appreciate Hall’s battling qualities are invaluable in a very physical division.

Combinations of those three, though, are what I think our centre midfield should be based around with a combination of CLE and Andrews utilised towards the end of games when the opposition are tiring - allowing them to really put teams to the sword.

Sounds like a great performance all round today though so kudos to everyone involved and same team to start against Yeovil on Wednesday, please.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Great win today. I thought CLE ran the game today and would have been my MOM. Great to see him in midfield and alongside Asa.

As has been muted if Woking had been able to attack our flanks I think we may have been found wanting, that is not to say the back four weren’t committed and dealt with most Woking threw at them.

Glimpses of some of our slick passing today which opened them up at times.

Thought Woking were a horrible niggly side who got what they deserved including a booking for their assistant Manager

One last thought the ref was good today, a young Derkin I understand so hats off to him
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Whydoibother »

Having Haĺl in midfield rather than at the back was a big factor. Whitfield and Nemane caused problems all afternoon and Reid and Keating gave the defence no peace.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, I echo much of what has already been said about the performance but I really have to praise the officials who were all excellent.

I guess its easy to say that when the opposition have a man sent off but there was nothing one-sided in the decision-making and the Woking defender has only himself to blame for lunging in on Whitfield when he was already on a yellow. I particularly liked the way the referee dealt with the keeper who rushed up to the Bristow's lino after our second goal and the yellow for their gobby assistant manager.

Keating was deservedly MOTM and has staked his claim for a regular starting berth - something I have been arguing for for several weeks.

No one had a bad game although the defence still looked dodgy when under pressure.

I still think we will struggle against Yeovil on Wednesday but at least it won't be the shoe-in that it looked like after the Boxing Day game.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!