TUFC v Chesterfield - 21/12/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Janneh sent off as the ref appears to see something that no one else has. Yet apparently gives Chesterfield free reign to time waste and does nothing.

You couldn't make it up.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Well, this is bizarre. Chesterfield have been blatantly taking the piss with repeatedly kicking the ball away, picking up the ball and walking off with it, etc, and the ref has done bugger all, whereas he's sent Janneh off, presumably on the basis of the word of a Chesterfield player. Ref obviously saw nothing amiss and neither did the lino, but the ref's waited two minutes and belatedly sent Janneh off for something no one's seen.
TUST member 203
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Commentators saying we should have a penalty......and Wynter gets booked for diving.

You can say that luck evens itself out over a season but jesus it doesn't look like it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Chesterfield score from a corner........taken whilst the keeper is flat on his back in the goalmouth
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

10 men or not, we should not be down 3-0 to the 2nd from bottom team. We’re making relegation candidates look like champions at the moment. The back line need to be held to account and changes have to be made. Get Lewis in at CB and drop Niate & Cameron. Why is CLE being played out of position? What’s the point in signing another striker to have him on the bench when our target man is out? I’m losing faith!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Scores irrelevant really. Reid injured again and the loss of Janneh has really cost us today.

You do have to wonder about referees. It seems that a Chesterfield player has just punched the ball when already on a yellow card. This constant theme of only seeming to apply the rules to one team seems to go on game after game.

Lewington isn't good enough - when Reid and Janneh palyed last week we could have scored ten. Enough said.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Absolutely dreading the Woking and Yeovil games. We are literally a turkey waiting to be carved up by those two.

If a dogshit relegation fodder side like Chesterfield can put three past us without reply, those two are actually going to bum us to death.

So, so frustrated with this.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Last we’ve seen of Janneh at plainmoor. Reid also on his way out. Its about to get a lot worse.
The gulls are going up
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We need to get back to basics the goal in the first minute would never of happened it we were awake from the kick off. We tend to all go forward and leave the back wide open. The wide areas are space that can be exposed and they were Winters side was wide open.
The officials were very poor including the fourth official who never took part in the game where he should have and the linesman was thinking Maguire was elbowed so making it up as could never have seen it as he went back to the half way line with play as did the referee. Their substitute should have been sent off for deliberate hand ball and a foul for stamping.

We could have done so much more better.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Dismal officials ruined that as a game

However poor first goal to concede

Cameron was useless today, he's not stepped up at all in this league

Evans should not be playing up top and why Keating didn't come on at half time is beyond me. Him and Lewington might have forced something if they had45mins together

How many corners with 0 efforts created?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Well, that was just not playing the game ,scoring in the first minute when everyone knows our defence doesn't usually turn up for the first twenty minutes and all too often for most of the game. Yet again we came up against a team stacked full of experienced pros , regardless of their league position they knew when to kill a game and waste time just sufficiently not to get bookings. Our referee was not only bad but actually his interpretation of the laws was bizarre, never the less playing one up front is a mistake especially with two forwards warming the bench, Lewington is a ninth tier footballer and it showed. As for the comment that this is the last time we see Janneh, I would be very surprised if we do not appeal his sending off, I am more than convinced that Reid will not leave in January, it is obvious that he is carrying an injury and if it his toe then its surgery, who is going to take him on until that is fixed. All in all another poor display with questionable team selections and tactics. See you at Yeovil.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Defensively at the back we are not good enough. We do not have enough quality or experience and that just about sums up their first goal. Until we resolve the centre back pairing and get Liam Davis back we will always concede. I don't think either GK is up to this level or capable of playing at a higher level. I think GJ knows this too hence the constant rotating.

I thought Lloyd James is a good fit and the kind of player we need.

I didn't see why Janneh got sent off, the referee didn't see it so I have no idea. The officials were dreadful today.

2nd half we really tried and you have to give the lads credit for their effort.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Several players tried really hard today but there is no semblance of a defensive system any more - they are playing as individuals and look like conceding most of the time. At times it looked as though they didn't even know each other and it was no surprise that Chesterfield threatened or scored whenever they could bother themselves to get forward rather than time wasting. They had three really good chances, including their goal, and hit the bar before our only attempt of the first half - a sliced shot from Evans.

Janneh then let the side down by apparently elbowing one of their defenders at a corner (didn't see it myself and nor did the referee - he was called back about 30 seconds later by the lino) and the wheels just flew off after that.

Kalala looked like making a difference when he came on at half time but a total of only 5 attempts in the second half with only two tame efforts easily saved by their keeper says it all - we were so lightweight.

I thought James looked the pick of the bunch in midfield until taken off - yes, another injury.

This team looks like they have forgotten how to win a game or keep a clean sheet. I have to wonder what Aaron Downes actually does as defensive coach. Disorganised at the back doesn't even get close.

The manager implied in his comments that some just aren't up to the standard for this league. If so why do we keep recruiting diminutive wingers when we need experienced defenders - Cameron in my opinion just doesn't fulfil the role of either defender or captain. It seems that no matter who plays alongside him we leak goals. Time to get an experienced defender in!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The absolutely ridiculous decision made by the referee to send somebody off after a three minute break virtually gave the game to Chesterfield. You can only imagine what crowds in other places would have made of this. To avoid national riots I would recommend this 'official' be protected by never being allowed to 'officiate' again in his lifetime. His bottling of a decision later in the game to do likewise to a Chesterfield player virtually fisting the ball in air a minute after being booked for fighting showed he was incapable of being neither being consistent or neutral.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

It’s a crazy situation to be in - if we’d won the past 6 (which I believe we actually are more than capable of doing!) we’d be top by 5 points, if we’d won only the past 4 we would be 1 point off the top!!

IF.

There are players who haven’t stepped up and others who consistently work hard but aren’t actually displaying the ability or form required to contribute to a winning side.

Some tough decisions need to be made and some loyalties need to be severed.

We also need to see the players who have match changing ability in the starting line up - people like Kalala don’t always track back but can change the game in an instant, the same is true at the very top level but you build a squad that can ENABLE the talent at the front to do what they do best by ensuring the remaining members of the team hold the line.

Hope the lads rise to the challenge of the bigger games over the Christmas period.

I’m normally always an optimist but I lost it for a moment today.

I trust in GJ - he will do what is right but tough love is necessary now, even for our regular starters.