Chorley FC v Torquay United, 23rd November 2019

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Could someone who was at the match tell me if Duku missed to clear cut chances in injury time or were they half chances at best?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It doesn't matter does it - Duku hasn't scored all season so is lacking in confidence. We had lost the match before he came on. That's the difference with missing a fifteen goal striker and a player who has not had any game time. No point in blaming him anyway.

Until we get some players back it looks unlikely we will win any games.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The last 3 games against 2 bottom of the table teams and a mid table nat south team , we have been second to every ball and no doubt at all those three teams wanted the result more than us and were more up for it . End of.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

desperado wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 17:34 The last 3 games against 2 bottom of the table teams and a mid table nat south team , we have been second to every ball and no doubt at all those three teams wanted the result more than us and were more up for it . End of.
To put a ‘positive’ spin on it maybe it is better to lose against teams that are not around so you don’t lose so much ground :-|
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Can't say I buy this 'they wanted it more' and were 'more up for it' line.

I bet all managers would wish it was as simple at that. Every manager would simply need to be a skilled psychologist. No need to worry over coaching, tactics, fitness, playing abilities, financial backing etc etc.

Let's be honest we are currently going through the mangle. Week after week we are having to play a weakened team and the situation is if anything has worsened and worsened during November. The last time we went through this we struggled to buy a point anywhere and the Manager ( Nicholson ) very quickly lost his job. Let's just a deep breath and hope December is a little fairer.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

A line from a song from my favorite 80s band, ABC pretty much sums up Gary Johnson at the moment. Excuses have there uses but now there all used up ( Tears are not enough ) For the last 3 weeks Gary johnson has told us how good his squad is and the unacceptable performances against Sutton, Maidstone and Chorley have been pathetic. We have Peter Johnson who is probably on a decent wage as a talent scout and what players has he brought to the club ? Last season we had national league premier squad playing in the national league south. i said in a posting last January that i thought that it was a mistake to sign virtually every player on extended contracts and throughout this season ive seen the warning signs. In this league you need experienced players who know how to win ugly on boggy pitches in the middle of winter. Apart from Asa Hall and Amarni Little, Torquay lack such players. To be successful in this league and Gary Johnson has success at this level, makes me begin to question his motives in becoming the manager. It all seems a little to cosy to me, Gary Johnson coming to the end of his working life, keeping in the family by employing his brother, uncle Clarke making him probably one of the highest paid managers in the league....... It all seems a little cosy to me
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

dawlishmatt did you actually listen to Gary Johnson's interview after the match today?
He did not make excuses, he did not say how good his squad is, what he did say, more than once,
was that the performance of the team was not good enough. He has told the team how disappointed he is with them and is now saying he is going to have to look at the transfer market.
We are now in a 3 match loosing run and clearly he now realises that some of the squad are not good enough for this level.
We all know injuries to key players have not helped but this is when the Manager discovers how good his back up players are and Gary now knows for sure that two or three are not fit for purpose.
We cannot lose Reid, Little, Lemonheigh- Evans and Vincent and not be affected.
Gary knows what he has to do and he will act.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

brucie is right. It's simply a matter of too many injuries.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi portugull. Yes i have seen Gary Johnson's interview and listened to his many excuses. All season and most of last, Torquay have been successful because they score a bucket load of goals. Johnson himself said during a post match interview recently that he was frustrated that in order for Torquay to win football matches, the team need to score at least 3 goals. Take from September for example. we beat Harrogate 4-2, Ebbsfleet 4-2, Barrow 4-2, Halifax 4-2, Wrexham 1-0 and Fylde 2-1 and won 4-0 at Stockport. We also lost 2-0 at Notts County. Thats 23 goals scored and 11 conceeded in 7 games. Fans have got to be realistic. There are times when all clubs go through goal droughts and that's whats happening at Torquay at the moment. All supporters knew from last season that Torquay had problems leaking goals. Weston-Super-mare finished bottom and yet scored 5 goals against us and and Truro scored 4 against us and were also relegated. Gary Johnson has never addressed the shambles of a defence we have had throughout his reign as manager and unless he does so and quickly, all the early season promise will quickly evaporate and we will find ourselves as an average mid table team.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with Portogull, Johnson actually said that several of his players were deluded and while they may have been good enough for conference south they are not in this league, throughout this season most of us have known our centre half's are struggling, our midfield,in my book probably the most gifted in the league does not have the muscle or maturity to hold its own against seasoned pros , our forward line relies solely on one man and that cannot ever bring long time success. I listened to the commentary today, not the garbage that radio devon supplied but the Lancashire version which was a lot more honest about our weaknesses.
Not before time, Johnson was brutally honest about our shortcomings, now lets see some action , either in the market or a reaction on Tuesday.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Good posting culmstockgull. the thing that im most frustrated about is that Gary Johnson said that this team was good enough for the play-offs when clearly they are not. Gary Johnson has been in management for roughly 25 years, surely a manager of his standing should know if a player is good enough after a few games. Take Mick McCarthy as an example. A few seasons ago, Kieffer Moore couldnt get into Forest Green Rovers team and was successfully loaned out to Torquay. When he returned to FGR, Torquay were in advanced negotations to bring him back on a permanant basis, when suddenly out of nowhere, Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy made an offer for Moore and he became an Ipswich player. Recently, Kieffer Moore, having been transfered from Barnsley to Wigan for a fee believed to be around 4 million quid.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

If you’re looking for a reaction from the players on Tuesday then unless we get players back you’re kidding yourself. The team today was quite frankly abysmal bordering embarrassing. Duku is a complete waste of time. That performance today was shocking.
Lucy
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

dawlishmatt wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 21:15 Good posting culmstockgull. the thing that im most frustrated about is that Gary Johnson said that this team was good enough for the play-offs when clearly they are not. Gary Johnson has been in management for roughly 25 years, surely a manager of his standing should know if a player is good enough after a few games. Take Mick McCarthy as an example. A few seasons ago, Kieffer Moore couldnt get into Forest Green Rovers team and was successfully loaned out to Torquay. When he returned to FGR, Torquay were in advanced negotations to bring him back on a permanant basis, when suddenly out of nowhere, Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy made an offer for Moore and he became an Ipswich player. Recently, Kieffer Moore, having been transfered from Barnsley to Wigan for a fee believed to be around 4 million quid.
The messiah that is Mick McCarthy!

please temper your nonsense posts with some realism

It seems you, culmstock - or whatever it is - are reveling in the team in losing the last 3 and are loving at getting the knife in Johnson's back
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 19:50 A line from a song from my favorite 80s band, ABC pretty much sums up Gary Johnson at the moment. Excuses have there uses but now there all used up ( Tears are not enough ) For the last 3 weeks Gary johnson has told us how good his squad is and the unacceptable performances against Sutton, Maidstone and Chorley have been pathetic. We have Peter Johnson who is probably on a decent wage as a talent scout and what players has he brought to the club ? Last season we had national league premier squad playing in the national league south. i said in a posting last January that i thought that it was a mistake to sign virtually every player on extended contracts and throughout this season ive seen the warning signs. In this league you need experienced players who know how to win ugly on boggy pitches in the middle of winter. Apart from Asa Hall and Amarni Little, Torquay lack such players. To be successful in this league and Gary Johnson has success at this level, makes me begin to question his motives in becoming the manager. It all seems a little to cosy to me, Gary Johnson coming to the end of his working life, keeping in the family by employing his brother, uncle Clarke making him probably one of the highest paid managers in the league....... It all seems a little cosy to me
I love you Clarke boy.
Praising Osborne and giving GJ a hard time.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 21:15 Good posting culmstockgull. the thing that im most frustrated about is that Gary Johnson said that this team was good enough for the play-offs when clearly they are not. Gary Johnson has been in management for roughly 25 years, surely a manager of his standing should know if a player is good enough after a few games. Take Mick McCarthy as an example. A few seasons ago, Kieffer Moore couldnt get into Forest Green Rovers team and was successfully loaned out to Torquay. When he returned to FGR, Torquay were in advanced negotations to bring him back on a permanant basis, when suddenly out of nowhere, Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy made an offer for Moore and he became an Ipswich player. Recently, Kieffer Moore, having been transfered from Barnsley to Wigan for a fee believed to be around 4 million quid.
Well done.
Mick McCarthy - (who I know quite well) took a punt on Kieffer. with the sole intention of making money - which proved to be the case.
Now, Kieffer, was good for Barnsley - in League 1, but has been dog sh1t for Wigan and plays better for Wales....
Go figure.
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 24 Nov 2019, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468