Barnet v Torquay United 26/08/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

To be in complete control in the first half and away from home with a 2-0 lead and the addition of a Gary Johnson half time team talk, it’s almost criminal for the lads to throw it away. They need to learn quickly at this level to grind out a result.
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

One point gained and 2 lost

Steady away will do at the moment
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 21:39 One point gained and 2 lost

Steady away will do at the moment
Watching Eastleigh play out the game just now, is why we have a few questions to ask. We should have not allowed Barnet to get back into this game. Definitely 2 points lost
Lucy
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

It’s simple..... we are great going forward and will score lots of goals ..... but we are just not strong enough defensively. We will continue to leak goals with this defence. I have no doubt Gary realises that and will make the necessary adjustments. A couple of experienced “old heads” at the back is all we need in my opinion.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

CP Gull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 22:22 It’s simple..... we are great going forward and will score lots of goals ..... but we are just not strong enough defensively. We will continue to leak goals with this defence. I have no doubt Gary realises that and will make the necessary adjustments. A couple of experienced “old heads” at the back is all we need in my opinion.
With the risk of sounding repetitive...
We need some experience at the back, pronto..
Golgo
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Armani Little

Post by Golgo »

Teigngull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 17:12 Who gives a frig about them to$$3rs ? They did the same last season & couldn't sustain it.
I suspect the same thing'll happen again this year, don't forget they're still a part-time team.
Coyy
Good point lads proud of you.
Yep that’s 18/51 points and the difference this year is survival Vs promotion, but who knows where the Cards will finish with this group of players, fantastic spirit and some good quality loans now in as the part timers stay top... it’s dreamland at the moment and your ex favourite is playing out of his skin! Looking forward to our game and nice to see both Woking and Torquay doing well with no obvious stand out teams...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes watching Kamikaze Ben and a few others jump into the crowd after a late winning goal and celebrating like they had won the league. Pathetic really.

In reality they huffed and puffed and eventually overcome 10 men in searing heat.

Gerring really is the thinking mans footballer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 22:22 It’s simple..... we are great going forward and will score lots of goals ..... but we are just not strong enough defensively. We will continue to leak goals with this defence. I have no doubt Gary realises that and will make the necessary adjustments. A couple of experienced “old heads” at the back is all we need in my opinion.
Agree totally Chris. I dare say Kyle would improve dramatically with a dominant and experienced centre back alongside him. I feel he's the better prospect out of two currently playing there.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Decided to take the trip up to Barnet yesterday. I think there's a common theme; we were simply brilliant in the first half. We had great shape, great movement and scored two very good goals, Little's being a cracker! It looked like we were going to win by 3 or 4! However, the second half came and a silly early mistake by Cameron cost us. It was obvious from that point onwards that the boys would sit back, soak up pressure and eventually Barnet would score. The heat made it very difficult to chase the ball and defend for 45 minutes. We were a bit unlucky with their second, but a draw was a fair result, no matter how frustrating it came about.

I hate to get on at players or the team in general, but Keating offers nothing to this team. To be fair to him, playing him on the wing is a bit like playing Reidy on the wing. I don't mind Keating coming on for the last 10 up the top putting pressure on defenders, but for him to be a replacement for Kalala is ridiculous. GJ may have wanted to display some old school nonsense to Kalvin because he wasn't doing enough, but he is certainly a bigger threat than Keating. Overall, a poor substitution, in my opinion. In order for Reid to be effective, he needs service, he won't get that from Keating.

Having said all of that, I would have taken a point before the game started, we go again on Saturday at home. Draw the away ones, win the home ones and we'll be up there.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 10:04 Decided to take the trip up to Barnet yesterday. I think there's a common theme; we were simply brilliant in the first half. We had great shape, great movement and scored two very good goals, Little's being a cracker! It looked like we were going to win by 3 or 4! However, the second half came and a silly early mistake by Cameron cost us. It was obvious from that point onwards that the boys would sit back, soak up pressure and eventually Barnet would score. The heat made it very difficult to chase the ball and defend for 45 minutes. We were a bit unlucky with their second, but a draw was a fair result, no matter how frustrating it came about.

I hate to get on at players or the team in general, but Keating offers nothing to this team. To be fair to him, playing him on the wing is a bit like playing Reidy on the wing. I don't mind Keating coming on for the last 10 up the top putting pressure on defenders, but for him to be a replacement for Kalala is ridiculous. GJ may have wanted to display some old school nonsense to Kalvin because he wasn't doing enough, but he is certainly a bigger threat than Keating. Overall, a poor substitution, in my opinion. In order for Reid to be effective, he needs service, he won't get that from Keating.

Having said all of that, I would have taken a point before the game started, we go again on Saturday at home. Draw the away ones, win the home ones and we'll be up there.

As long as we can turn Plainmoor into a place the opposition gets absolutely nothing, we'll be there or there abouts I feel.
However, as Southampton Dave correctly says, an experienced centre half along side Kyle would, more than likely, stop the majority of the silly mistakes occurring.
We will, & have already, get the odd crappy result @ home, even the likes of Man city do from time to time but stick to our guns & it'll be just fine.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Unfortunately I wasn't at yesterday's game but according to what people are saying, including Gary johnson is that we were totally dominant in the first half and awful in the second. I think that the manager was wrong in his post match comments in singling on Kalala for criticism, those comments should be kept in the dressing room. What I don't understand is that Gary johnson has signed 2 youngsters on their first ever professional contracts, they may be stars of the future, while in the 7 games we have played so far, most supporters are crying out for johnson to sign an experienced defender or two. Surely, although not on massive contracts, these youngsters eat into the playing budget meaning it's less likely that we can afford the defenders the team so desperately needs.
LoudmouthBFC
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Darren Currie

Post by LoudmouthBFC »

Barnet F.C. 2 v Torquay United F.C. 2 | You just made The List! | GAMEDAY! Vlog! (26/08/19)

numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

We wernt awful in the second half. The game would have played out very differently had we not given away that goal in the first 5 mins. Cameron with another mistake, thats 3 due to him that I can think of that ive seen (2 at Bromley). Suspect Gary's words afterwards might have been directed towards him as well as a few others. When you look at it again, hes just not strong enough after being in the boss seat.
1st half excellent, best ive seen for a long time, then at 2-1 stands to reason they are going to throw everything at it. I thought we'd done enough thought and then they scored. It was ridiculously hot though and the pressing and harassing in the first half took a bit out of them.
TUST #324
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have just watched the highlights and we certainly looked very good in the first half.

Armani Little showed he can hit the target even with a defender in close proximity. Great goal.

Kyle Cameron who has been outstanding will learn from this that there are times when you just lump it into touch because if you do not and their is a lack of cover you run the danger of the opponent nicking it which is what happened. I well remember Aaron Downes who stood on no ceremony and hammered the ball into touch rather than risk losing possession.

Who am I to suggest anything to Gary Johnson but I will! We need to work more on set pieces.These are scoring opportunities and we have some very good players to take advantage BUT WE ARE NOT BEING CREATIVE ENOUGH
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dead right - that mistake form Cameron cost us three points. Just don't give them anything at the start of the second half. That goal changed the result.