Barnet v Torquay United 26/08/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Its a point !!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 2-2.
would have took that before the game, but disappointing to give a sloppy goal away and let barnet back into it.... :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Agree with you there Supes !!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Before the game started I thought a draw away in hot weather would be a good return …… got my hopes up though boys didn't you !!

But on reflection a draw is not a bad result at Barnet, defence continues to sound suspect at times though?
Last edited by Gloomy Gull on 26 Aug 2019, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Disappointing to drop a two goal lead but a decent point nonetheless.

Possibly the Cameron error early in the second half was the key moment and their second goal was a deflection by the sounds of it. That said we nearly won it in injury time.

All in all a decent result.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Bloody Woking have won again !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Woking played against 10 men for the majority of the second half - a major advantage in these sort of conditions, and won with a very late goal.

Things are going for them at the moment. It will all change soon enough.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Dutchgull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 17:03 Bloody Woking have won again !!
Who gives a frig about them to$$3rs ? They did the same last season & couldn't sustain it.
I suspect the same thing'll happen again this year, don't forget they're still a part-time team.
Coyy
Good point lads proud of you.
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

Not a bad result but now expect a win on Saturday against hartlepool
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

The old cliche - a tale of two halves!

We absolutely ruined them in the first half, Barnet didn’t know what day of the week it was! The second, an absolute peach of a goal, not only for the finish, but build up play as well totally knocked the stuffing out of them. We could easily have gone in 3 up at half time as we had some decent chances right at the end of the half too.

Second half, we just didn’t get going. The ball should have gone into row Z from Cameron for their first and once they’d scored it you could tell we’d be hanging on. The second was actually a neat finish, Cov stood no chance of reaching it as it was tucked right in the corner.

At 2-2 anyone could have gone on to win it. Couldn’t really see the goal mouth scramble as it was up the other end but apparently Asa had one cleared off the line!

I would have taken a draw before kick off but if I’m being really honest, at half time I would have settled for nothing less than 3 points going back to Devon!

Just to note, I really liked their new ground, but twenty quid to get in is daylight robbery!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Regardless of the result ,and personally it does feel like two points lost ,the heat was brutal and if Johnson tells us that some of his players are suffering from heat exhaustion I would not be surprised. There was no way on this planet we could have kept up the intensity of the first half, a premier league, super fit and conditioned player could not have coped better than our players, the three amigos, Lemonheigh, Andrews and Little were brilliant first 45 and Kalala was playing for fun so much so Barnet subbed their young player who was having a footballing lesson in how not to deal with a tricky winger and this is where I start losing the plot, I saw Johnson giving him some serious verbal's first half and then he lasts ten minutes of the second half, unless he has an injury you do not bench him, he certainly seemed to have plenty of energy left, as result we lost our obvious outlet and instead of sitting on our lead knowing full well that Barnet would come after us with the kitchen sink he brings on attacking players as subs, teams are now aware of this ploy and it has ceased to have any advantage, I felt sorry for Reid who had a torrid afternoon doing a holding job he does not like, he never got a sniff the full 90 minutes, Covolan played well and seems almost serene compared with Mcdonald. Cameron will have to take his mistake on the chin, it was schoolboy error stuff, without their goal I reckon we would have held on for the points. I think our lack of a goal difference may come back to haunt us later in the season.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

tufc-si
Couldn't agree with you more. 1st half they couldn't string 3 passes together, and we were dominant. 2nd half, it looked like we didn't come out.
£20 a bit steep, but if you see a goal like Armani scored, worth every penny. :bow: (£)
Cockney Cockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Cockney Cockers »

We absolutely mashed them in the first half. Almost to the extent of showboating. Looked like we would go on to score four or five. Second half different picture. They decided to play with the same intensity we had in the first half. We just couldn't hang on in the end and looked absolutely shattered. I have supported TQ for over forty years and have not seen many more dominant first halves. They did not have a clue how to deal with us (Man City of the national league). But we just ran out of puff. Great effort from the lads, 2 points lost rather than one gained though. Good times, great turnout.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 20:07 the three amigos, Lemonheigh, Andrews and Little were brilliant first 45 and Kalala was playing for fun...
I think that was the issue culmstockgull - Kalala playing for fun rather than putting his shift in - well and good playing a fancy bit of footwork but you have to do your running off the ball and defensive cover if you are to be considered a true professional. I don't know if you saw but Connor Lemonheigh-Evans had a right pop at him during the match - I think it was pretty much down the lines of 'pull your finger out'.

I enjoyed the match - yes we played Barnet off the park first half but they were not a bad side and have some talented players so no surprise to me that they got back into the match after Camerons error - it was the turning point. Easy in hindsight to criticise but at 2-0 up you don't need to try and play the ball out of defence just hoof it into row z. I expect he may learn that today. So an away point it is then. At this stage of the season I'll take that.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Yep just heard Johnsons post match and Kalala was pulled off for not doing his job, and perhaps that in hindsight was right but he did terrify them not doing what he should, goodness knows what he will do if he does stick to the script.