Solihull Moors v Torquay United - Tues 6th August 19:45 KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can't really blame Johnson - its early in the season and he's rotated the squad, although he's got four strikers so don't really see why he played Evans up front.

Booing the team off is totally ridiculous. I've spoken to someone who was at the game who said that their player dived for the penalty (which was probably the key moment in the match) . He also said that the referee in drag was pretty poor all round.

I thought that there would be goals in the game because our defence isn't up to much, but I also thought that we would score goals as well. It certainly seemed that we had some chances in the second half but didn't take them.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

If the players were still in "champions" mode, they certainly aren't now. Back to the reality of the hardship of the National League. It may only be one league above the NLS, but it's a completely different ball game. I was surprised to see Keating in the Starting XI? But GJ's interview is worth a listen, brutal, but needed and deserved. Onwards and upwards.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 00:11 Can't really blame Johnson - its early in the season and he's rotated the squad, although he's got four strikers so don't really see why he played Evans up front.
Yeah ..... you're probably right. However, good as he is, I don't see Opi Edwards as starting games just yet. Bring him on second half as GJ did against BW. Also - where is the other loan striker from Newport ?
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

I thought we were totally outplayed by a physically stronger side in the first half. We didn't help ourselves with poor passing and basic mistakes. I think everyone heard GJ frustrations taken out on McDonald after about 5 consecutive kicks went out of play. Couldn't work out the second half formation from where I was but it looked like 3 at the back when Lewis went off. We created a bit and on another day Reid could have had a goal in each half so absolutely no need to hit the panic button. We do need to toughen up as I felt their strikers bullied us and got away with it. Solihull seem like a club on the up with a lot of work going into the ground. Will need better parking arrangements if their fan base increases as cars were abandoned everywhere including the grass central reservation of the main road.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Well that was a frustrating match to watch tonight, should have been 1 up within 2 minutes, how did Reid miss it god knows. Solihull had there first attack on 6 minutes and goal, I personally felt McDonald should have saved it. As for their penalty I thought it was a definitely the right decision. 2-0 down after 9 minutes. Our passing was atrocious, decision making atrocious and we constantly gave the ball away and didn’t clear the lines, which all summed up there 3rd goal, everyone just froze as it was so easily avoidable. So I disagree that booing them was wrong, they bloody deserved it from the magnificent support tonight. Second half Solihull I don’t think had a shot on target to my knowledge, as it was a case of we couldn’t pass the ball and they wasted so much time, but who can blame them. What was more frustrating is that in the final 15 minutes we could have won it had we been more clinical and some wonderful saves from their keeper. Fitness is not the issue, it’s mental and decision making that truly let us down.
McDonald was awful tonight, can honestly see him being dropped for Saturday. Keating was very poor equally. I see from Gary’s post match interview, there scheduled day off tomorrow is cancelled, I don’t think they will be eating popcorn watching the match video. An extremely bad day at the office.
As for car parking, yes it was a little crazy, but we don’t have car parking facilities at Torquay.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

tomogull wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 23:52 I slightly question GJ's team selection tonight. I would have expected the same starting eleven as Saturday, except for CLE in for Manny Duku. But then, what do I know? Tough throwing in Joe Lewis for his first game against one of the fancied sides, but I suppose his height was the deciding factor against a big side. How did he do, by the way?

Can't believe that the team was boo'd off the field at half time. They didn't deserve that in only the second game of the season. This is the team that got us out of the National South and we cheered them all the way against Boreham Wood. Fickle fans, or what ???

I was quizzical about the selection too but its easy to reflect on that after the event. We lost, we accept it, we move on. Whilst I was not at tonights match I will be at Bromley with 3 others so hope to see a better display.

Whilst I don't condone the act of booing, there is no way around it, as booing will always come naturally during a game where your team are playing piss=poor. Let's face it, it may sound bad sitting on the couch listening to the radio commentary but when loyal travelling supporters have journeyed 360 miles and paid good money you at the very least want the team to turn up. When they don't, it's natural to wont to let them know your displeasure of their performance. Fickle fans? I think not! just frustrated supporters whose loyalty knows no bounds and will still support the team through thick and thin till the end of the season.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Very unorganised ground and staff, it was clear it was their first home game, £2 packet of chips were awful,small,cold, coffee was cold from the food outlets, the burger van around the back wasn’t much better and the toilets were trailers, The ref was a woman and she was shite, that’s my opinion and I’m sure there is a lot thinking the same! Didn’t hear the call “ the referee’s a wa@ker though? I wonder How that would that have gone down? She was awful and deserved it. The car park attendant was unhelpful? He just said the parking was all reserved and didn’t advise where we could go? He was defo a wanker!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Fred Perry wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 23:34 Brand new Main Stand.

Ground now meets Football League standards. :clap:

You have a designated Away bar area at Moors.

Roof coverings on all 4 sides of the ground.
None of which where open tonight, in fact half the Porto loos where shut which pissed off many of your natives as well at half time, car parking as you stated is limited but frankly as it’s on a busy dual carriageway it’s an accident waiting to happen need to have some stewardship during match days. No sour grapes, but would hardly call plastic roofing a roof, where’s the away bar if still no official away end. Friendly stewards though.
Lucy
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

That was poor last night, not Gary Owers poor, but poor. Out muscled to every ball, no 2/3 passes completed, no enthusiasm to attack in the first half. Hall and little struggled in midfield, reidy had no chance against their big centre backs. Could of been different game if reidy had finished early. They attacked twice in first 10 mins and got a goal each time, first one, he had an age to take a shot, no one closing him down, second a dubious penalty. The referee wasn’t great and I wonder if it was her first game at that level. Second half improved a little, I’m hoping they got a rollicking at half time but Solihull had already won the game. The boos at full time I think were justified, when people travel to away games on a Tuesday night, you expect a bit better, at least to string 2 passes together. On to Saturday and the bounce back!
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Glad someone else thought the pen was a dive, report suggested clear foul, will have to see it back. In fairness Andrews won a free kick doing the same thing so can't condone that either.

The one positive I'd take is that we could and possibly should have scored 3 despite playing so poorly. Probably could have conceded 6 though.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Can't believe in our most successful year we haven't won any of the 3 games I've made it to.

One final comment - after hearing a lot about how poor Niate is (including from the bloke behind me after he got booked) I thought he was the only defender winning any balls and trying to fight their big strikers, my MOTM.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why is it we have to have a woman referee anyway? - Why are there not men refereeing games at the womans world cup?
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Seems to be alot of " sour grapes " from Torquay supporters.

The better side won.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fred Perry wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 08:45 Seems to be alot of " sour grapes " from Torquay supporters.

The better side won.
Don't mistake criticism of your facilities with sour grapes. Just about everyone has said that you were the better team.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Gary Johnson on 3-0 defeat to Solihull Moors :
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"