Woking FC v Torquay United 6/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 20:53 If they're not careful they could get overtaken by Welling.
Yeah I’m with you Southampton. Their form has been poor of late and going into playoffs doesn’t bode well. I’ve just listened to their manager praising their dominance of the game but surely he must be concerned with the alarming capitulation at the end.
I think they could really struggle against a form side in the playoffs . We’ve all seen it over the years , it’s the team with form who sneaks in gets the momentum.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Just back from the game. Inferior for 80 minutes but I thought the signs of recovery started from about 65-70 minutes. Gerrings red card was both predictable and probably game changing.

Fair play to woking, I thought they gave it a real go but the last 10 minutes showed maybe why we are top and they aren't.

No doubt we were below par but the hard work was done last Saturday and Tuesday. Roll on party time Saturday, hopefully!
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

I have to say I thought Woking were very unlucky today. They essentially outplayed us for 75 minutes.
Their two up top were quick, full of running and caused our back two plenty of issues. Their midfield picked up the second ball and competed a lot better than ours too.
Not sure why Hall started that game as it was clear to everyone he was injured and not moving well.
We just never really got going at all.
Our midfield was bypassed most of the game and far too many balls went straight to their keeper.

HOWEVER, we never gave up and I have honestly never felt emotion like that at the end of the game because I reckon that realistically confirms our route out of this daft league.

Without that goal wokings tails will have been up going into the last four and I reckon our pride would have taken a dent so who knows what might have happened. It feels like a win now though and I don’t think we can be caught.
Cards fan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Cards fan »

Woking fan in peace.

I thought today was a great advert for football at this level. Great game and atmosphere (apart from a few idiots) with comfortably the 2 best teams in this division all season and I think they showed why today.

In my, possibly biased, opinion I thought we were the better team for most of the game and should have seen it through but Torquay put the pressure on at the end. It's probably what has cost us this season in the end that we haven't finished teams off when we've been on top.

Anyway, congratulations as I assume that you go on to win league now, and I expect you would have done regardless of the result today.

Although the playoffs can be a bit of a lottery I don't think there is a better team than Woking or Torquay this season so hopefully we will be able to see the job through and join you back in the NL next season.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Cards fan wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 21:40 Woking fan in peace.

I thought today was a great advert for football at this level. Great game and atmosphere (apart from a few idiots) with comfortably the 2 best teams in this division all season and I think they showed why today.

In my, possibly biased, opinion I thought we were the better team for most of the game and should have seen it through but Torquay put the pressure on at the end. It's probably what has cost us this season in the end that we haven't finished teams off when we've been on top.

Anyway, congratulations as I assume that you go on to win league now, and I expect you would have done regardless of the result today.

Although the playoffs can be a bit of a lottery I don't think there is a better team than Woking or Torquay this season so hopefully we will be able to see the job through and join you back in the NL next season.
Champions are crowned over the season but individual games are pivotal. I thought you totally outplayed us at home in the first half and we came back to secure a draw!! We did the same today!! Yes Woking have been our biggest rivals but momentum it everything come the play offs and 2 points from 9 is not good form!!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

fred wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 21:55 Champions are crowned over the season but individual games are pivotal. I thought you totally outplayed us at home in the first half and we came back to secure a draw!! We did the same today!! Yes Woking have been our biggest rivals but momentum it everything come the play offs and 2 points from 9 is not good form!!
Let's not get smug yet Fred. He came in peace
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Well what a day that was!!! Couldnt care less about the performance or form today, it’s all about the results until the titles confirmed!! Iceing on the cake Gerrings red card!! He was dying to could reidy at every opportunity!
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by fred »

sgf wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 22:05 Let's not get smug yet Fred. He came in peace
Absolutely not being smug!! Woking outplayed us twice for large parts this season but having just seen Wealdstone and Chelmsford the play offs are a lottery!! They are good sides as are Woking!! So proud of our players today and thoughout the season. WSM/Bath have proved that anyone can beat anyone which is why winning the league is so important!!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

fred wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 22:17 Absolutely not being smug!! Woking outplayed us twice for large parts this season but having just seen Wealdstone and Chelmsford the play offs are a lottery!! They are good sides as are Woking!! So proud of our players today and thoughout the season. WSM/Bath have proved that anyone can beat anyone which is why winning the league is so important!!
Fair point. However, I do think home advantage will be crucial for woking.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We've won 19 out of the last 23 games, and as Johnson said we had a hard game on Tuesday night which obviously told today.

Two early substitutions didn't help and at 3-1 down with something like eight minutes to go we have got a magnificent result. Luck doesn't come into it I'm afraid.

Listening to the commentary as soon as Janneh scored I knew we would get the equaliser.

Predictably Gerring imploded and was done for pace and got himself sent off. That's hardly having a good game its more like being the liability we all know he is.

Being in control for 80 minutes is as much use as a chocolate teapot if you concede two in the last ten minutes.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's like you were there. Or not!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by fred »

sgf wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 22:20 Fair point. However, I do think home advantage will be crucial for woking.
Yes I agree, I would not want to go to Welling !!! It's not over yet for us but I think a win at home to Eastbourne and Chelmsford holding Woking for a draw should see us home!!
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

Seems a large amount of Woking fans aren't arguing with Gerrings second yellow but thought the first was harsh????

I know I was wearing yellow tinted glasses but I thought that first yellow on Keating could easily have been a red in today's climate
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Lloyder5 wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 19:41 Not what I would call trouble. Fans spilled on to the pitch, celebrating the third goal.
Helped by a kindly steward who held a pitch access gate open. Crass
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

sgf wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 22:44 Seems a large amount of Woking fans aren't arguing with Gerrings second yellow but thought the first was harsh????

I know I was wearing yellow tinted glasses but I thought that first yellow on Keating could easily have been a red in today's climate
I agree