Bath Away jan 19th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

grockle wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 15:52 Not unique though!
He was popular with a number of supporters in his day.
ministander
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: willie brown
Watches from: Pop side

Post by ministander »

Thanks ministander please keep us updated as to which away game you will be at next.

I thought it would all probably be the fault of the police.

If our team choked it wasn't because of the occasion it was from those bloody flares thrown by so called Torquay supporters. I expect though somebody has evidence that it was actually plain clothes police officers throwing flares in order to justify having a few police officers around after the game in what is a tranquil sedate tourist city.

It is up to individual pubs whether they allow anybody in and many pubs across the country decide not to allow football fans in after games. Their decision is probably based on experience.

Glad you managed to behave though and that you didn't allow those nasty police to provoke you! ;-)

HaHa, The irony is one of our number is............ a serving police officer!!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Kernowgull wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 22:02 Whereas in the past I've taken many friends and colleagues to Torquay games, and always been excited about what they'd think of our away following/atmosphere, I wouldn't dream of it based on what I've seen this season.
Same here. I've been going to away games for years and years and I always remember our away following with positive memories, the best being the play-off semi final away leg against Shrewsbury in 2011. I was always happy to go with my family. This season though, something has changed. Gloucester, Weston and now Bath have just been embarrassing. Kids jumping on the goals and throwing smoke bombs at Gloucester, the same lot doing almost exactly the same thing at Weston and the bin thrown on the pitch, and now all that business on Saturday. I don't remember it ever being this bad in all my time supporting the club. Also I thought the atmosphere was pretty poor on Saturday, neither set of supporters were particularly loud. Maybe it was being on a cold open terrace but our fans never got going even before the match.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I think it was the open terrace that stifled the atmosphere.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

standupsitdown wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 19:50 I think it was the open terrace that stifled the atmosphere.
I’d agree with that. The acoustics of a roof help with atmosphere every time.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

wivelgull wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:21 ....and unusual to have Willie Brown as 'favourite player'.
Slated because his favourite player isn't ' Nicho' or 'Manse' or the likes, I expect.
😇
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

No, Mr. Teigngull. I approve of having the great Willie Brown as a favourite player. Inspirer of one of the better Plainmoor chants, and scorer of perhaps the most preposterous goal EVER to have been scored at Plainmoor, Willie Brown is certainly in my Top 30.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Would that have been one of his goals against Grimsby Town ??
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

wivelgull wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 21:01 No, Mr. Teigngull. I approve of having the great Willie Brown as a favourite player. Inspirer of one of the better Plainmoor chants, and scorer of perhaps the most preposterous goal EVER to have been scored at Plainmoor, Willie Brown is certainly in my Top 30.
Good lad.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

ministander wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 17:12 Thanks ministander please keep us updated as to which away game you will be at next.

I thought it would all probably be the fault of the police.

If our team choked it wasn't because of the occasion it was from those bloody flares thrown by so called Torquay supporters. I expect though somebody has evidence that it was actually plain clothes police officers throwing flares in order to justify having a few police officers around after the game in what is a tranquil sedate tourist city.

It is up to individual pubs whether they allow anybody in and many pubs across the country decide not to allow football fans in after games. Their decision is probably based on experience.

Glad you managed to behave though and that you didn't allow those nasty police to provoke you! ;-)

HaHa, The irony is one of our number is............ a serving police officer!!
If you don't know how to do the quote system then don't do it. No irony that I can see. If your serving police officer agrees with your crass comments in your rant that is up to him / her but don't use a police officer being with you to justify slagging off the police. He / she should be ashamed of himself / herself and not hang around with you any more. As for not being able to go to home games because you all work but you manage to get to 6 away games in a season without wearing colours - you are having a laugh if you expect anybody to believe you. No worry though, just do make sure you let us know when you are travelling away again! ;-)
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

All in all, I thought mini stander's account of the day seemed pretty accurate and decent?
ministander
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: willie brown

Post by ministander »

stefano wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 00:08 If you don't know how to do the quote system then don't do it. No irony that I can see. If your serving police officer agrees with your crass comments in your rant that is up to him / her but don't use a police officer being with you to justify slagging off the police. He / she should be ashamed of himself / herself and not hang around with you any more. As for not being able to go to home games because you all work but you manage to get to 6 away games in a season without wearing colours - you are having a laugh if you expect anybody to believe you. No worry though, just do make sure you let us know when you are travelling away again! ;-)

It appears the assumption that i would be slated was correct, albeit by only one person, and not for my (truthful) account of the day, but because in my naivety of using the quote system. (could also have pointed out my miss spelling faux pas)
My friend does not "hang around with me", he was a childhood school friend, best man at my wedding, and god father to my son.
We have attended Torquay games together for over 50 years, never been in trouble, or caused any, and never will.
The police reaction to the situation was totally disproportionate. (in my opinion)
For your information, Bath is a university city, has all the problems that come with it, regularly host far bigger crowds for rugby games, Not just a sedate tourist city. Try a Saturday night out there one day, and you might have your (blinkered ) eyes opened.
Lastly, if we choose to attend more away games than home, why is that a problem for you?? are you jealous?
And as you are so interested in our next away game, it will be Woking, (there will only be 7 of us for this one, as one cant get away from...work) and yes i expect you will see some more flares go off, potentially threatening life as we know it, maybe some horrible people being over boisterous in the local pubs, and hopefully, a football team that turns up and makes up for the Bath match.
Now i am not saying any more on the subject as it appears to be getting personal, and im far to busy (and important) to get in to a keyboard argument.

:lol:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I imagine that we will be searched at the turnstiles at Woking.
Also the game will be segregated unlike previous visits. I’m not sure what the capacity of the open side terrace is but I don’t think we’ll get as many tickets as we did for Bath.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

standupsitdown wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 12:46 I imagine that we will be searched at the turnstiles at Woking.
Also the game will be segregated unlike previous visits. I’m not sure what the capacity of the open side terrace is but I don’t think we’ll get as many tickets as we did for Bath.
I’m unsure. It’s obviously longer, but much less deep a terrace. With the positioning of high gates, idiots trading punches between that side and other ends through or over them is reasonably well naturally protected against. I think.

Very sad that we are discussing this after the Bath match. We have had such a good reputation as fans up and down the country until this season. It is that we nearly outnumber or do outnumber the opposition that causes this extra faux bravado by a very very small minority, sadly. They will be quiet again when we regularly face bigger clubs if we do have on pitch success. You can set your watch by it.

What on earth possesses a Torquay United supporter to have a billy big bollocks attitude, is extremely hard to understand. There is no point in trying to. It’s ludicrous. We are so not that as a wider group and away days have been good occasions on the whole for years now, despite some of the dreadful football we’ve had. I have seen a few forums where dislike of us is discussed now by supporters of other NLS clubs. It’s such a shame.
Last edited by Rjc70 on 23 Jan 2019, 13:11, edited 2 times in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I just hope Woking have enough stewards and that there aren't too many Police, would hate to see that make us lose again! :} :} :}
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084