New Year Reflections.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Is it possible to make money from any football club? At the top level the money goes to players, Agents and Managers.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Sometimes it is not about money. It is about wanting to help your Club because it is dear to your heart.

If I won £10 million on the Lottery I would buy Torquay United and accept that I would certainly lose money UNLESS I got very lucky.

However the thrill of owning the Club I have supported since I was 10 years old would be mega and if it took £5 million to get back to League 2 it would be money well spent.

The History of dozens of Clubs is littered with people who have spent millions on their Local Football Club with mixed results.

In the 1950's Pro Footballers played in front of huge crowds for absolute peanuts. Today it is the opposite with Premier League players earning silly money.

Grass roots Football is important in this Country but it still relies on folk with cash available to keep Clubs going.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi everyone. On reading the many posts concerning the fantastic transformation of our beloved Torquay United and everybody on a high, I'm a little surprised about the doubts many people have about Gary Johnson's long term future at the club.
When he became manager, Johnson said that he had spoken for 48 hour's to Clarke Osborne about his five year plan for the club. Johnson said that he was Very impressed by Clarke Osbourne's plan which if you remember was to take TUFC back into the football league. This tells me that he's here long term. Also the massive amount of finance that this must be costing Clarke Osborne and the fact that Gary Johnson is already signing on players for next season is clearly a huge statement of intent. What happens if we don't get promoted this season? We will probably again be the only full time club in the league. We must acknowledge the huge contribution that Clarke Osborne has made in the amazing transformation we have seen since Johnson's appointment.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Anyone would think you were on the payroll...........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton gull. No I'm not on the payroll. I make my comments by facts and statistics. As all regular supporter's would agree, we are playing the best football in years. Fact:- we are getting an average home gate of well over 2,400. This is more than we got in the national League premier and even beats the attendances in league 2. Our away support is mostly over 500, more than what we were getting in league 2. Fact:- we have probably the best manager in the lower leagues including league 1 and 2. I remember when we were a league 2 side that at least 10 away games per season, the supporter's club coach was cancelled because only 20 - 30 people put their names down. I have in my lifetime seen Torquay play at 78 different grounds and have never witnessed the fantastic away support that we get today. Like him or loathe him, the Torquay United of today would not be around if it were not for Clarke Osbourne's financial commitment to the club
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Here's a FACT for you. We're at the lowest level we've ever been as a professional club.

Here's another FACT for you. OUR club is in debt to your mate through various'loans' so let's not kid ourselves eh?
Dave

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 23:55 Here's a FACT for you. We're at the lowest level we've ever been as a professional club.

Here's another FACT for you. OUR club is in debt to your mate through various'loans' so let's not kid ourselves eh?
Dawlishmatt keeping up his 100% Osborne propaganda posting rate.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 22:39 Southampton gull. No I'm not on the payroll. I make my comments by facts and statistics. As all regular supporter's would agree, we are playing the best football in years. Fact:- we are getting an average home gate of well over 2,400. This is more than we got in the national League premier and even beats the attendances in league 2. Our away support is mostly over 500, more than what we were getting in league 2. Fact:- we have probably the best manager in the lower leagues including league 1 and 2. I remember when we were a league 2 side that at least 10 away games per season, the supporter's club coach was cancelled because only 20 - 30 people put their names down. I have in my lifetime seen Torquay play at 78 different grounds and have never witnessed the fantastic away support that we get today. Like him or loathe him, [highlight=yellow]the Torquay United of today would not be around if it were not for Clarke Osbourne's financial commitment to the club[/highlight]
As I have tried to point out to you on several occasions, Uncle Clarke is a businessman with -
1. No interest or idea about football - as he said himself by the way.
2. He is protecting his financial investment when he called in a loan owed to him by the previous board.
3. He has no history of building any stadium for any sporting venue that he has been involved in.

Frankly, I could do without your Uncle Clarke love-in.
I (and many others) don't trust him.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

dawlishmatt wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 22:39 Southampton gull. No I'm not on the payroll. I make my comments by facts and statistics. As all regular supporter's would agree, we are playing the best football in years. Fact:-[highlight=yellow] we are getting an average home gate of well over 2,400[/highlight]. This is more than we got in the national League premier and even beats the attendances in league 2. [highlight=yellow]Our away support is mostly over 500[/highlight], more than what we were getting in league 2. Fact:- we have probably the best manager in the lower leagues including league 1 and 2. I remember when we were a league 2 side that [highlight=yellow]at least 10 away games per season, the supporter's club coach was cancelled because only 20 - 30 people put their names down[/highlight]. I have in my lifetime seen Torquay play at 78 different grounds and have never witnessed the fantastic away support that we get today. Like him or loathe him, the Torquay United of today would not be around if it were not for Clarke Osbourne's financial commitment to the club
Average attendance 2,139
Very rarely take more than 500-WSM only game i can think of.
Can't see this as they take a minibus if not enough to cover a larger vehicle.
I can't remember them missing a match thru lack of support . Not in our recent history anyway.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Compare this side to the dross that was signed by Farcegreaves and then Nicholson.

Mr Owers laid the foundation by assembling a fit for purpose squad. Unfortunately for whatever reason he couldn't match his excellent squad building by results on the pitch.

Say what you like though - he brought in some excellent players and Mr Johnson hasn't needed to change the squad much.

Imagine if Mr Johnson had inherited Nicholsons lottery winning squad - he would have kicked all the feckers out!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

You do have a convenient memory over Owers, Brucie. Some of the summer signings have been very useful, a similar number have left the building. Nicholson signed Reed, Davis and Keating. Are we to say we should build a statue to him as well. Coming to think of it he is might be more deserving. At least we didn't get relegated under Nicholson.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Dazza wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:59 You do have a convenient memory over Owers, Brucie. Some of the summer signings have been very useful, a similar number have left the building. Nicholson signed Reed, Davis and Keating. Are we to say we should build a statue to him as well. Coming to think of it he is might be more deserving. At least we didn't get relegated under Nicholson.
Here we go again
Lets all hail, St Nicho the Klown of Kernow, the patron saint of bus drivers.
We are where we are because of the continued failure to arrest the lack of proper investment within , not only on the pitch ,
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Dazza wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:59 You do have a convenient memory over Owers, Brucie. Some of the summer signings have been very useful, a similar number have left the building. Nicholson signed Reed, Davis and Keating. Are we to say we should build a statue to him as well. Coming to think of it he is might be more deserving. At least we didn't get relegated under Nicholson.
Here we go again
Lets all hail, St Nicho the Klown of Kernow, the patron saint of bus drivers.
We are where we are because of the continued failure to arrest the lack of proper investment in not only the playing side but off the pitch too.
Every manager / coach or whatever he was called between Lingy & now GJ have ,for one GOOD reason or another failed , whether that be because of a lack of funds, direction, knowledge or even luck & quite frankly it has been a right old shitty time of it for all of us !.
It's time to put all of that behind us & enjoy it ffs, but as Dave so rightly says , beware of the sheep in wolf's clothing lurking within the boundaries.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Rjc70 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 00:12 Dawlishmatt keeping up his 100% Osborne propaganda posting rate.
Here's a historical fact:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

[font=cursive]Joseph Goebbels
Reich Minister of Propaganda
[/font]
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Teigngull certainly bought it. Mind you, he does shop on his own these days 😀
Dave