Seating issues

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

wivelgull wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 11:14 Although a popsider, there was never this trouble in the great days. With a smaller ground (it seems now anyway) and with regular 10,000 attendances (sometimes 13000+) there was never the difficulties we seem to be having with 3000!
With a smaller ground? During the sixties and seventies various football annuals always listed Plainmoor as having a capacity of 22,000.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

That was because on 29th January 1955 we had a gate of 21,908 against Huddersfield Town in a 3rd round FA Cup Match.
We lost 1-0. I was at this game aged 11.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

gateman49 just to say I am a season ticket holder in Bristows. At 2.30pm yesterday the queue was about 75yards.
I entered via the Family Stand Turnstile because the line was much shorter. No problem for me BUT the 2 guys in front of me got turned away because they wanted seats in Bristows and the Steward wrongly told them they could join any of the 4 queues.
I predict utter chaos on New Years Day when EVERYONE has to pay CASH!!!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

portugull wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 16:09 gateman49 just to say I am a season ticket holder in Bristows. At 2.30pm yesterday the queue was about 75yards.
I entered via the Family Stand Turnstile because the line was much shorter. No problem for me BUT the 2 guys in front of me got turned away because they wanted seats in Bristows and the Steward wrongly told them they could join any of the 4 queues.
I predict utter chaos on New Years Day when EVERYONE has to pay CASH!!!
Just think of it as an away game and blame Truro but then thank them for saving you all that fuel and a few hours up and down the A38.

But, seriously, I know that the club is doing everything it can to keep the wheels in motion. The big gates are great but, apart from one or two exceptions over the years, fans don't seem to get to the gates early and regulars and new faces seem to turn up in the last half hour before kick off. Whether that is because they have to park further away and the walk takes longer I don't know. On Saturday it was quiet on the pop side for quite a while and only by about 2.30 did it get busy.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Rose-tinted spectacles for me, Mr. Gateman - haven't you? I remember there being two turnstile entrances on the pop side. One near where the old bogs used to be and the other at the further (Babbacombe) end. I think they were both regularly used.
Reply to Mr Super: no, I'd rather be in 1966!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I was told on Saturday that the club bars will not be open as it's their home game and I imagine that means the food hatch as well as they are not open when Truro play. It will be strange paying at home for an away game. :)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 22:15 I was told on Saturday that the club bars will not be open as it's their home game and I imagine that means the food hatch as well as they are not open when Truro play. It will be strange paying at home for an away game. :)

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Torquay United fans to visit Tin-Pot club for game on New Years Day......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

wivelgull wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 22:09 Rose-tinted spectacles for me, Mr. Gateman - haven't you? I remember there being two turnstile entrances on the pop side. One near where the old bogs used to be and the other at the further (Babbacombe) end. I think they were both regularly used.
Reply to Mr Super: no, I'd rather be in 1966!
Yes, there were the stiles at the old social club end (I would listen for the pitter patter of tiny feet on my roof and then smartly step out to catch those trying to bunk their way in) and at the Warbro Rd end (the old greenhouse stiles). They were used when this Boxing Day's attendance would have been considered to be a very small turn out. Having quoted 1966, that was the year in which I started and that was a baptism of fire because we had an average home gate of over 7,000 (the next season it was even higher at over 9,000). Happy days.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 22:15 I was told on Saturday that the club bars will not be open as it's their home game and I imagine that means the food hatch as well as they are not open when Truro play. It will be strange paying at home for an away game. :)
The club have already confirmed that the bars and food kiosks will be open.

https://www.torquayunited.com/truro-cit ... ch-update/
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

It's only an 'away game' by name as far as we should be concerned.
We gotta treat it as an extra 'home' fixture, every other team in this league would bite your arm off to have an extra game on their own patch.
We've been given an unexpected advantage.
Let's make it count,create a loud singing intimidating atmosphere bordering on a (sporting) toxicity never known.
They don't like it up 'em captain.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

MatchDay Announcer: "....today's attendance, including 3800 away supporters, is 3865 thank you for your fantastic support." :clap:
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Will be interesting to see who is voted man of the match, assume it needs to be a Truro player?!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Very good Nickbrod ! Bet they won't print many programmes either
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

desperado wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 10:05 Very good Nickbrod ! Bet they won't print many programmes either
On sale outside only, according to OS.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Ha Nickbrod, that's brilliant. Best thing I've seen for ages, funny.