Torquayunited v St Albans 13/11/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Controlled the game ,a bit unsettled the first 20 mins but after seemed like men against boys
Northampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruari keetings

Post by Northampton gull »

Fantastic game today very impressive from the boys they gave there all and played amazing kept the ball on the ground and played some really good passing football and some really good movements I have to say the difference between the team managed by GO and GJ is night and day fantastic attacking style of play
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great result and some good entertainment St Albans actually came to have a go at us and we went at them and the better side won. A really open game and St Albans missed chances to score early in the second half but the young United team did well creating lots of chances.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

Just back from the game, Reid excellent up front, worked really hard and deserved his two goals which he took well. Andrews and Evans controlled the midfield and Cameron was great at the back.

Felt that Wynter had a poor game, Niate grew into the game but for someone of his stature he loses so many headers by not timing his jumps. Kalvin was good on the left when he was given the ball but if he had to work for it or gamble I didn’t think he looked interested.

Overall a good win and well controlled game, could have been more and with Edwards, Hall, Dickson etc not available we’ll have a strong side when they’re all back.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Crazy start to the game, wondered whether we were for a 7.6 scoreline, caught cold from there long throw, and our defence was all over the shop at times in the first half, however a thoroughly deserved comfortable win.

Much improved tempo and intensity about our play, pressed them, some sharp passing and movement, and for once chances taken, set the bar high tonight, got to keep it there now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Agree that our performance in the second half was much better. First half too many wayward passes. We need to ensure we do the simple things well.

I do need to say that St Albans were a really poor side and we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves. I am still concerned that whilst we have playmakers in midfield, we do not have a ball winner. Ugly though it is, a number of sides (as was the case with Billericay) will throw larger more physical players into the midfield to win the ball and I wonder if we will be able to compete.

Also agreed the scoreline could have ended up 6 or 7 if we could have stayed onside.

I think Concord will be a different proposition on Saturday after their 3-0 win this evening,

Well done Jamie Reid for working really hard this evening and your great finishes,
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A long time since we dominated a game to this extent AND scored 4 goals.

Gary J got them in on Sunday for intense training and we are now seeing the difference a top Manager makes.

Every time we lost the ball there for 4 or 5 yellow shirts busting a gut to get it back.

Make no mistake we are going to be hard to beat if we keep up this pressure on teams.

Kalala was a revelation absolutely unplayable at times and looks like he could develop into a valuable player.

Roll on Saturday lets get 2,750 inside Plainmoor. Bring a mate to see the NEW TORQUAY UNITED. COYY.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

A good win and we were well in control throughout. However, I think we were made to look better than we really were by a very average St Albans side. Woking (and Billericay) were much stronger sides. Once we scored our third, we played a good, quick passing game, but there were still too many passes throughout the game that went astray and somehow the defence didn't look in total control at times. But perhaps I am being too picky and expecting too much. These are the games we have to win and we did it comfortably once the third goal went in.

But as others have posted - what a difference from the Owers days. We are now watching entertaining football.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A quality performance and St Albans were saved from a 10 - 1 shellacking by their excellent keeper.

I'm not sure whether St Albans were the worst side I have ever seen or they just couldn't live with us. Kalala was amazing. Janneh is quality.

Niate won every ball in the second half and played like he was smoking a cigar at the same time. Interceptions, headers. They never got over the half way line cause he won everything.

It was just a question of getting the third and once we did we were in cruise mode. And what a goal it was.

Niate has sand wedged a forty yarder out to Kalalas feet on the left wing. Hes cut inside given it to Reid who has banged it in the corner - His second finish from outside the box. Its quite astonishing that people are still carping on about him not being good - quite ridiculous.

And we did it minus Hall, Dickson and Edwards. Why start worrying about Concord Rangers. From what I've seen tonight they might as well not bother turning up.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 00:35 A quality performance and St Albans were saved from a 10 - 1 shellacking by their excellent keeper.

I'm not sure whether St Albans were the worst side I have ever seen or they just couldn't live with us. Kalala was amazing. Janneh is quality.

Niate won every ball in the second half and played like he was smoking a cigar at the same time. Interceptions, headers. They never got over the half way line cause he won everything.

It was just a question of getting the third and once we did we were in cruise mode. And what a goal it was.

Niate has sand wedged a forty yarder out to Kalalas feet on the left wing. Hes cut inside given it to Reid who has banged it in the corner - His second finish from outside the box. Its quite astonishing that people are still carping on about him not being good - quite ridiculous.

And we did it minus Hall, Dickson and Edwards. Why start worrying about Concord Rangers. From what I've seen tonight they might as well not bother turning up.
Can't cope with all this positivity brucie, but your right why fear concord rangers. Having both played tonight, fitness will play a part on Saturday and hopefully to our favour. Well done Torquay, the bond/relationship Johnson has with the fans is what we have been craving for
Lucy
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Thoroughly enjoyed that performance. I wasn't sure how we were going to react after saturdays loss but GJ has certainly picked them up.
I wasnt sure if St Albans just had a bad night or we were just so superior especially in the 2nd half. Probably a bit of both.
Have to mention Kalala, I ve been critical of his performances especially at WSM where he was very poor. However he was virtually unplayable last night, what a complete transformation!!
The goal we conceded was poor defending and something we need to work on. Naite's performance in the 1st half wasnt great however 2nd half was excellent. He needs to be at that level all the time. The ball he pinged out to Kalala was top draw. Wynter still concerns me.
Concorde will be a tougher challenge but i cant see them being able to deal with are pace and movement for 90 min.

Well done to the travelling 11 St Albans fans for a long midweek away game.

Its great to see GJ interacting with all the fans particularly the pop side at the end, you can see he is really enjoying this as much as we do.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Agreed - well done to the eleven St Albans fans and the one director who turned up and, to be fair, who was very gracious in defeat shaking our hands at the end.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

We were at it from the start, I don't think St Albans were that bad , certainly not going forward, they were the top scorers in the league, but agree dodgy in defence. I wasn't happy or comfortable until we got the third, our players confidence soared then . Easily Kalalas best game , he is way above this level as are a lot of our players. If we can really gel , tighten up defensively and cut out the mistakes we can win this league. Still think Woking are the main threat , maybe Billericay but when you see Wealdstone in second place there is nothing to fear. Don't know how long the loanees are here for but we cannot afford to lose them especially Connor Evans, incredible energy he has and hard to dispossess
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

There was a doppelganger playing instead of Reid last night, as probably his fiercest critic who ever that was wearing his shirt was outstanding, first half they could not handle him, his runs wide were causing countless problems and he actually finished two good goals, If that was Reid then he needs drug testing because what ever he was on needs giving to the whole team, he was, what we pray he can produce each week but rarely see a forward, confident and a touch arrogant, long may it continue.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You just make yourself look a total buffoon with your co0nstant sniping about Reid. Second top scorer in the league . Wrap up.