Ian Twitchin

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Ian Twitchin

Post by merse btpir »

It's ten months since the passing of a United legend
what have the Club done about it?

The news today of the naming of the new grandstand at Exeter City after Adam Stansfield prompts me to ask ~ 'what's happening to the general desire to name a Plainmoor stand after Ian Twitchin?

Don't fob him off with naming a suite after him as I was told was the offer from the Club; nothing less than a stand for the local lad who gave his all for them, day in, day out for so many years and without ever being that well paid for it!

I get the feeling that his family have been fended off with platitudes over this, and was of the impression that the matter was left in the hands of less than senior Tim Herbert who has now left the scene anyway. I think it's time to get a groundswell of opinion going on this subject again and tell the Club that not only doing something such as naming the Popside stand after him is the least they should be doing but doing it pretty damned quick now too!

Shouldn't TUST be taking up the baton on this; the current sponsors Thatchers or the Club's 'Presidents for Life' after all what else constructive are they doing for the legacy of the Club now?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the senior staff at the club know little if anything of our history or the lifelong service someone like Ian gave.

Perhaps TUST would could or should take the lead on this.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Yep, absolutely shocking , Twitch was a one man club who gave EVERYTHING for TUFC only to be thrown away when he was regarded less than useful at the end of his career.
A club legend of my era & I'm with Merse & Dave on this one we cannot allow this to continue on & on until it conveniently ( for some, not all at TQ1 ) .
THE IAN TWITCHIN POPULAR STAND sponsored by THATCHERS. What's wrong with that ?
Get on board & let's make it happen.
And one more thing
Thanks Merse :)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Hang on a minute, can we pause and reflect.

A few days ago I read that there is a reaction to the proliferation of blue plaques on buildings as it now seems that a minor celebrity had only to have had a drink or meal in some pub or restaurant for there to be a campaign to have one put up. Indeed, I’ve often crossed a road while visiting a town to read a plaque and, sometimes have felt that I’m not sure why I did that.

This has nothing to do with my respect for Twitch but what should be the selection criteria?

Should it be a player
Should he have been a one club man
Should he have been a record goal scorer
Should he have gone on to play for his nation
Should he have been a great keeper with the most clean sheets
Should it be a player in recent memory

Etc etc

So why not Denis Lewis, Sam Collins, Robin Stubbs, Mike Mahoney, Kevin Hill?

It’s all very subjective, we’ve only got four stands, we may not stay at Plainmoor and the only one to choose is presumably the owner for the time being.

Let’s celebrate our heroes, and keep them alive in our memories with such debates together with the occasional book on the history of the club.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

gateman49 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 08:53 Hang on a minute, can we pause and reflect.

A few days ago I read that there is a reaction to the proliferation of blue plaques on buildings as it now seems that a minor celebrity had only to have had a drink or meal in some pub or restaurant for there to be a campaign to have one put up. Indeed, I’ve often crossed a road while visiting a town to read a plaque and, sometimes have felt that I’m not sure why I did that.

This has nothing to do with my respect for Twitch but what should be the selection criteria?

Should it be a player
Should he have been a one club man
Should he have been a record goal scorer
Should he have gone on to play for his nation
Should he have been a great keeper with the most clean sheets
Should it be a player in recent memory

Etc etc

So why not Denis Lewis, Sam Collins, Robin Stubbs, Mike Mahoney, Kevin Hill?

It’s all very subjective, we’ve only got four stands, we may not stay at Plainmoor and the only one to choose is presumably the owner for the time being.

Let’s celebrate our heroes, and keep them alive in our memories with such debates together with the occasional book on the history of the club.
Twitch beats all those other very good club servants hands down in respect of the number of games he played for the club. He went to Plainmoor as a 13 year old schoolboy being coached by the legendary Don Mills (surprised he wasn't on your list as he was the most talented footballer ever to have played for the club). He was a regular in the reserve team in the Western League from 15 years of age (playing against some teams our first team play against now). He made his Football League debut while still a youth player in the days when our first team was one of the better teams in Division 3 (now League One). He played for the various Torquay United teams first, reserves, youth, plus the nursery club of the 60's over a period of just about 20 years. His total number of games in a yellow shirt beats any other player we have had by a country mile.

A true club legend.......and he did represent his country.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Spot on, Stefano, I appreciate all of the points you make and, no, I didn’t list Don Mills, nor have I listed Frank O’Farrell or Tony Boyce. That’s where the interest lies, everybody has a legend.

Let’s continue the debate.
Boots + Laces
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: Alex watson

Post by Boots + Laces »

The corridors of Plainmoor are lined with historic pictures from the past , I have tried to keep Boots a little more in recent times ( Wembley appearances , Barnet & Southend) however anyone who makes 400+ games for the club deserves their place on the wall . Ian is proudly placed next to kevin Hill in the main corner by the pool table , i have yet to hang photos of the other 3 in the 400 club ( Dennis Lewis , Tommy Northcott & Ron Shaw ) if anyone has a photo I would much appreciate it so they can take their rightful place ,
Stewart
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

It’s a tough one, and and we all have our bias. Personally, nothing against Twitch, I don’t want the Pop Side called anything different than just the Pop Side.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:35 It’s a tough one, and and we all have our bias. Personally, nothing against Twitch, I don’t want the Pop Side called anything different than just the Pop Side.
It's already called ' the Thatchers popular cider stand ' .
And did you call plainmoor the Launa Windows stadium ? I didn't & I doubt you did too .
Surely Twitchs's name could be incorporated amongst a corporate sponsor as a mark of respect ?
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Bxm Foxy »

The Thatchers part is a joke, I certainly wouldn't ever call it that, or anything before Plainmoor!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It's not a joke; it's a revenue stream...

No-one's asking you to call it anything; it's what the club accrue from it that is important.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 08:26 The Thatchers part is a joke, I certainly wouldn't ever call it that, or anything before Plainmoor!
So according to your philosophy, let's get rid of a modest but important way of drumming up revenue & stick to 'tradition' .
And people call me a moron ..... what a joke..& a sad indictment of your support if you cannot see relevance of keeping a fine servant of our club alive through the small matter of naming a stand after him.
Incidentally what do you call Bristows bench ? And why is it ok or not with you ?
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Revenue stream fair enough, I just said I wouldn't call it anything different. And as I said early on, that's nothing against Twitch at all.
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Post by laura twitchin »

Well look like we going to continue fighting for dad then, thank you for all for your comments. Yes my dad started at 13 years of age, got international honours for his efforts for England. Plainmoor was his base second home for around 20 years, he is the most loyal servant ever and it will never happen again. I am willing to help to get more if we can . The suite was opened 9th February to be honest it's taken a lot to get that and I gave up a bit, it shouldn't of been hard after what he gave to Torquay United.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Great little video,

sure many on here will recognise those pictured