Torquay United v Chippenham Town 08/09/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

kevgull wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 20:22 If you don’t like what you are seeing, don’t turn up.
I'm almost speechless at that comment. Do you not understand people's anger and resentment.

Are you defending these weak, spineless and pathetic performances. You're as much a clown as Owers
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

sgf wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 20:31 I'm almost speechless at that comment. Do you not understand people's anger and resentment.

Are you defending these weak, spineless and pathetic performances. You're as much a clown as Owers
You’ve got the wrong end of the stick sgf.
Hit Osborne where it hurts, boycotting is the only way to bring about change.

Cash is king to Osborne , if isnt coming through the turnstiles changes will have to be made.

Unfortunately with 1400 ish fans turning up every home game, even when the product is consistently shite, why change it.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

kevgull wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 20:56 You’ve got the wrong end of the stick sgf.
Hit Osborne where it hurts, boycotting is the only way to bring about change.

Cash is king to Osborne , if isnt coming through the turnstiles changes will have to be made.

Unfortunately with 1400 ish fans turning up every home game, even when the product is consistently shite, why change it.
Do you honestly believe that 1,400 coming through the turnstiles is making ends meet?
Embee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Embee »

If you think this league is shit wait til next year.

Highlights include:
Hartley Wintney, Swindon Supermarine and the Met Police works team who frequently manage a double digit attendance.
Enjoy!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

gateman49 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 21:04 Do you honestly believe that 1,400 coming through the turnstiles is making ends meet?
Of course not, never said it did. My point is that you can turn up and protest as much as you like but these guys don’t give a shit.
What will hurt them is if you don’t turn up at all. Save your cash and spend it on something more useful.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

kevgull wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 21:25 Of course not, never said it did. My point is that you can turn up and protest as much as you like but these guys don’t give a shit.
What will hurt them is if you don’t turn up at all. Save your cash and spend it on something more useful.
Unfortunately it's too late for many of the people there today. A large chunk of the 1400 will be season tickets. If all of this is some sort of master plan do you not think he would have taken the dwindling of attendances in to account? He'll be fully expecting it, so it won't be hitting him in the pocket at all long term

This is a classic case of speculate to accumulate
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Just like Osborne is killing the club off the field, Owers is killing the club on the field.

Neither are going anywhere.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Cruisinho wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 21:38 Just like Osborne is killing the club off the field, Owers is killing the club on the field.

Neither are going anywhere.
I think this has been obvious for some considerable time. Obvious to anyone with any modicum of intelligence that is. Obvious to anyone with even the most basic ability to read between the lines. Least it should have been.

sgf makes a great point about Osborne possibly already having factored in the loss of revenue from lower crowds as his plans continue to progress over time. With this in mind then that really would be the last remaining option (boycott) for fans to make it uncomfortable for Osborne gone.

This is all now down to the Mayor / Council now. The hope being that in the passing years whilst owned by Osborne the club at the very least continues to maintain it's NLS status. If it sinks any lower and no sign of Osborne exiting then the prospect of a phoenix club will seem more and more appealing to an increasing number of fans.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As things are going AFC Torquay in the South Devon League is not far off.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We made our best start of the season until they scored then we were clueless for the rest of the month.
Don't blame their time wasting which started as soon as they scored we have seen this loads of times as we slide down the leagues.
Don't blame the officials who were dire, again the lower the league the poorer the officials.
Blame all the 14 players who pulled on the shirt and got paid for that dross from 25 minutes onwards.
Owers is going nowhere and we will be nearer relegation than promotion this season.
Surely we can't get relegated again, can we??
I can see nothing to make me bet against it at present.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

As has been said by many on here. Given the track record of Owers as Torquay manager then it's clear to see to any football fan that a manager continuing to retain his position in possession of such an atrocious record could be considered to be extremely unusual and frankly bizarre. His position has been untenable now for some time and becomes even more so each passing week and the only sensible course of action for any club owner genuinely concerned about his football club and concerned about how it would affect his business would be to dispense of the manager.

It is like an NHS Hospital boss overseeing a safety record where every patient being admitted ends up dying and yet the surgeons get to keep their jobs and get to do more operations. It defies belief and defies logic.

The fact that Owers continues to brush aside incessant poor results and incessant poor performances (apparently - i've not seen any myself :} ) and the fact that Osborne continues to allow this to persist clearly indicates to me that both are actively pursuing the deliberate destruction of the football club along with a few select others. Perhaps Martin Kuhl did have a conscience after all?

Owers being sacked would be the only thing that would go some small way into trying to convince me otherwise but of course it won't happen.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 08 Sep 2018, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Whilst I don't profess to second guess the motives of Clarke Osborne I can say, as I speak with him after most games, Gary Owers is doing his best to bring us successful football. I do agree, though, that, for whatever reason, he is seriously falling short.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

nickbrod wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 22:22 Whilst I don't profess to second guess the motives of Clarke Osborne I can say, as I speak with him after most games, Gary Owers is doing his best to bring us successful football. I do agree, though, that, for whatever reason, he is seriously falling short.
Of course he's not going to tell you that he's NOT trying everything he can to turn things around is he? With all due respect to you Nick and i don't wish to offend you but part of the problem at Torquay is some fans simply being too nice and trusting for too long whilst people responsible for the clubs continued demise only need to trot out a line or two in casual conversation and they are believed and given far too much rope when it is rarely warranted.

It's the way i'd prefer the world to work though for sure. Everyone who says something genuinely meaning what they say and being straight down the line but human beings aren't straightforward and they often lie, cheat and manipulate in order to curry favour and divert flak.

Again though Nick and to other fans. No criticism intended. We all think differently .
Donuts76
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Donuts76 »

Owers - trying his best, just not good enough.
Osborne - Mission = make money. Not destroy TUFC (there are many logical arguments for this but essentially it is to do with assets). However with the aim of making money the future of TUFC is only safe as long as the freehold is secure away from Osborne. The two big threats to TUFC are a new stadium is built and we are shafted for rent (like Coventry) or (more likely in my opinion) Osborne realises he isnt going to get land to develop somewhere from the council and walks away calling in his loans leaving TUFC needing either a new owner with deep pockets or an administrator. In the meantime the team are potential assests that currenly largley have no value and for this reason Owers' job is incredibly insecure at the moment.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 22:13
The fact that Owers continues to brush aside incessant poor results and incessant poor performances (apparently - i've not seen any myself :} ) and the fact that Osborne continues to allow this to persist clearly indicates to me that both are actively pursuing the deliberate destruction of the football club along with others at the football club.

Owers being sacked would be the only thing that would go some small way into trying to convince me otherwise but of course it won't happen.
That statement about Owers is basically non sensical crap. Owers is only 50 yrs old, when this crap is over he will need to find another job, the only area he has worked in is football. He is extremely unlikely to find alternative employment if it was believed he deliberately sabotaged a football club.
The basic truth about Owers is that he is typical of many people who find themselves in a position well beyond their capabilities. It is not his fault that he finds himself in this position but it is of those who put him there.
Your last paragraph seems to suggest you are willing to trust Osbourne if he sacks Owers. That is delusional, 100% of the current crisis is down to Osbourne; he hired Owers, he thought we could get promoted with a team of full timers that no other full time club wanted. As a previous poster stated it is about speculating to accumulate, the football side of things is just a distraction.