Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond 25/08/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:22 Isn't this part of the problem Dave? The fact that people are upset by a bit of bad language whilst the club is going to the wall should be enough to anger everybody but to be offended by it strikes me as being a little precious.

I despair at the fact that there are threads inviting people to make lawful protests at 1pm............who the hell is at the ground at 1pm to take any notice? Even if the protests took place, how many people are we talking about? Twenty?

Charlton fans threw crisp packets onto the pitch on Saturday. Result = lots of media attention.
Coventry fans boycotted games when they were moved to Northampton. Result = lots of media attention
Personally agree with you BUT we are public so do have to ecercise a little caution.

I've said it before, if Osborne can shaft a fan base like Bristol Rovers have, what chance do we have? Kind of defeatist but I said this when Osborne took over and it's proving to be very true. We've never been a militant set of fans, I don't think we ever will be.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

greb46 wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:24 Yes this site is well run ,just missing his abrasive style!
He was attacked regularly so probably got bored of it. Personally speaking, I've fallen out with him more than most but you can't deny his knowledge or his dedication to the club, he just rubs people up the wrong way like I do, like me he really doesn't care either as it's just desserts for poking our heads above the parapet way back when everyone else was defending the Owners.

I miss his contribution too!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:25 Personally agree with you BUT we are public so do have to ecercise a little caution.

I've said it before, if Osborne can shaft a fan base like Bristol Rovers have, what chance do we have? Kind of defeatist but I said this when Osborne took over and it's proving to be very true. We've never been a militant set of fans, I don't think we ever will be.
and Osborne knows this so he knows he can keep GO in charge until it becomes really untenable.......I don't think we're there yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we won tomorrow and that buys GO a few more weeks.

The fans will moan, but not swear, whilst sipping their cups of tea and will reminicse about better times.

I just wish everybody would stay away one Saturday and watch a local game. Plainmoor with less than 100 people inside would send a strong message. Do it for a second home game and Osborne would start to take notice. Do it for a third and the alarm bells would really start ringing.

Think how angry you all get when you witness a poor display and just imagine how much more relaxed we'd all be if we did something else. I went to watch Argye yesterday. There was a time when I would never ever dream of going elsewhere while United were home but times have changed and whilst I brought no luck whatsoever to the Green Army, I still enjoyed watching the game and not feeling any anxiety over the thrashing dished out by the opposition.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:28 He was attacked regularly so probably got bored of it. Personally speaking, I've fallen out with him more than most but you can't deny his knowledge or his dedication to the club, he just rubs people up the wrong way like I do, like me he really doesn't care either as it's just desserts for poking our heads above the parapet way back when everyone else was defending the Owners.

I miss his contribution too!
Agree as much as I disagreed with his views his knowledge was broad and it was obvious he had the club's best interests at heart unlike the present incumbent
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

lambadaboss wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 21:06 Having just saved themselves from relegation the club should have dispensed with Mr Nicholson and looked for a manager who could consolidate and keep the team in the National League.
That's exactly what we did my friend and spent 6 week in the process finding a person who apparently 'ticked all the right boxes'. Except this grand appointment has resulted in the cataclysmic end to a once proud football league club.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Mellow Yellow - But I do not consider appointing somebody from a division BELOW TUFC as being a good appointment or as ticking any of the boxes. If you are looking at getting back up into the Football League you need someone who has the pedigree having worked at that level NOT someone who comes from a lower level than that you are already playing at.

I understand GO came from Bath City a National League South club. So for him coming to TUFC was a step UP. The odds were against him from the word go, but he was not going to turn that job down. You needed a manager who had worked at a level that could conceivably look upon managing TUFC as a step DOWN so getting back to his former level he would take TUFC with him ie UP A DIVISION. If you want a good Xmas dinner you buy a turkey, not just a slice of it.

Look at who clubs in the Premier League have turned to to save them from relegation in recent years - Allardyce, Pulis, etc. These clubs didn't recruit managers from the Championship as they wanted to stay up not go down.

Yes different levels of football but same principles. Proof is in the pudding.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

lambadaboss wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 00:08 I do not consider appointing somebody from a division BELOW TUFC as being a good appointment or as ticking any of the boxes.
Point taken - even if it is 12 months behind the times. Current topic is how do we get rid of him.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

I think the most prudent questions are why is it the owner cannot see that he is not the person to help the team? And how can the club persuade a decent manager to put his reputation on the line in working at this pretty poor level? A good executive has to be strong and sensible enough to admit when a wrong decision has been made and rectify it before it becomes fatal. In TUFC's case I fear it is already at that stage.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Regardless, Gary Owers is just a former good professional footballer who has not been able to make the necessary step up to becoming a good manager but he doesn't deserve some of the criticism I have read on here about him. The world is full of former pro footballers who have not made it as coaches and managers, the same as many good coaches who cannot succeed when given the chance as managers. Best example probably Steve McLaren. A supremely gifted coach. But awful record as a manager. Check the stats. Yet he was appointed England manager! So mistakes happen even at the top end of the scale, not just Torquay!

Probably the only thing to help now is for the club to make some decent money available for the manager to sign some decent players and try and keep the club in the top 3 or 4 in this Division this season then take another look next April. And I do mean decent players WITH EXPERIENCE. The country has plenty of pros around 33 - 35 that could do a good job for a year or two and give the club the experience sadly lacking on the field right now. A couple of decent experienced defenders, two experienced midfielders, one a ball winner and the other a playmaker. And of course an experienced striker. Yes they won't come cheap and they will not have any allegiance long term to TUFC but if the owner wants the club to survive he must cough up some funds as there are players out there.

So don't blame GO for all the problems. They existed long before he came to the club. It is simply that he has become a cog in the tragedy that is happening right now. I remember so many fans getting at Mike Bateson when he was Chairman, not wanting to know that he was bankrolling the club out of his own pocket while the other directors simply looked grand in their blazers and ties, eating and drinking before, during and after matches. He kept the club in the black year in and year out and he certainly wasn't afraid to make those difficult decisions which need making now. I well remember him sacking my great friend Don O'Riordan after that thumping 2 - 8 loss, even after everything that Don had done on a shoestring budget. I had the utmost respect for Mike Bateson then, as I still do today, and I only wish he were walking into Plainmoor tomorrow as Torquay United's chairman. For sure the club wouldn't be in the basement like it is today. And I guess the fans would still be criticising him though.

Sometimes in life you don't appreciate what you had until you don't have it any more. I feel the same way about Mike Bateson and TUFC. He doesn't need TUFC. But TUFC could certainly do with him right now!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

lambadaboss wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 01:17 Regardless, Gary Owers is just a former good professional footballer who has not been able to make the necessary step up to becoming a good manager but he doesn't deserve some of the criticism I have read on here about him. The world is full of former pro footballers who have not made it as coaches and managers, the same as many good coaches who cannot succeed when given the chance as managers. Best example probably Steve McLaren. A supremely gifted coach. But awful record as a manager. Check the stats. Yet he was appointed England manager! So mistakes happen even at the top end of the scale, not just Torquay!

Probably the only thing to help now is for the club to make some decent money available for the manager to sign some decent players and try and keep the club in the top 3 or 4 in this Division this season then take another look next April. And I do mean decent players WITH EXPERIENCE. The country has plenty of pros around 33 - 35 that could do a good job for a year or two and give the club the experience sadly lacking on the field right now. A couple of decent experienced defenders, two experienced midfielders, one a ball winner and the other a playmaker. And of course an experienced striker. Yes they won't come cheap and they will not have any allegiance long term to TUFC but if the owner wants the club to survive he must cough up some funds as there are players out there.

So don't blame GO for all the problems. They existed long before he came to the club. It is simply that he has become a cog in the tragedy that is happening right now. I remember so many fans getting at Mike Bateson when he was Chairman, not wanting to know that he was bankrolling the club out of his own pocket while the other directors simply looked grand in their blazers and ties, eating and drinking before, during and after matches. He kept the club in the black year in and year out and he certainly wasn't afraid to make those difficult decisions which need making now. I well remember him sacking my great friend Don O'Riordan after that thumping 2 - 8 loss, even after everything that Don had done on a shoestring budget. I had the utmost respect for Mike Bateson then, as I still do today, and I only wish he were walking into Plainmoor tomorrow as Torquay United's chairman. For sure the club wouldn't be in the basement like it is today. And I guess the fans would still be criticising him though.

Sometimes in life you don't appreciate what you had until you don't have it any more. I feel the same way about Mike Bateson and TUFC. He doesn't need TUFC. But TUFC could certainly do with him right now!
I enjoyed reading this and agree with the sentiments and suggestions. Leaders needed on and off the pitch, somebody has to make those difficult decisions.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

Thanks Nick. I am just trying to add a different perspective to things rather than let emotions come into play too much.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Don't blame GO for all the problems? Who is blaming him for all the problems? Blame him for all the problems ON THE PITCH yes.

He signed the players, he manages the players and he is responsible for results.

Owers took the club down and is continuing to oversee a culture of failure and total shitmess. For all we bemoan CO. There ain't nobody to blame for that other than the bloke who picks the team and manages the team.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 12:08 Don't blame GO for all the problems? Who is blaming him for all the problems? Blame him for all the problems ON THE PITCH yes.

He signed the players, he manages the players and he is responsible for results.

Owers took the club down and is continuing to oversee a culture of failure and total shitmess. For all we bemoan CO. There ain't nobody to blame for that other than the bloke who picks the team and manages the team.
What I think Lambada is saying is that Owers, and Nicholson before him, should never have been appointed as managers and it is the respective owners who are to blame. Owers was offered a position for which he is not qualified and you cannot blame him for taking it. At the end of the day the buck has to stop somewhere and it has to be with the person who takes the major decisions.
So what if Owers went, can you see Osbourne appointing a suitable candidate in his place?
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

The buck stops with the manager, yes, but problems off the pitch, most of which the ordinary supporter has no knowledge about, are having a detrimental impact on performances. Mr Owers has no money to sign decent players so he has to work with what he has got and being perfectly honest the current crop of players at the club just are not good enough. Whether he is a good manager or not will not be validated until he has better players to work with. And I don't think that will happen.

So I don't think you can pin all the blame on GO even for what is happening on the pitch.
lambadaboss
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lambadaboss »

For example, get rid of Gary Owers and what then? The same status quo will continue, no money, no decent players coming in and nothing will have changed except a different manager will be struggling away against all the odds and getting unfair criticism from so many people. You have an enormous problem at your club. You cannot solve that with a stop gap solution, ie sacking the manager. You have to accept the problem is not GO. It has been building up for a number of years now behind the scenes, long before GO came to the club. I do not believe GO was the right person to get TUFC out of the mess they are in on the field, but then again, WHOEVER took over as manager would still face the same behind the scenes problems.

And just who would want to manage TUFC? I certainly wouldn't, for one!