Torquay United v Macclesfield Town, Match Day Thread 23/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Come back Cole - all is forgiven.

Anderson: it worried me that he walked out as Captain vs the Gers on Tuesday. Played OK at CB. But he's a disaster at FB. Should have been replaced by Davis at h-t.

Wrong selection with Reid too. Week in week out he fails to threaten, fails to cross, fails to deliver. McQuoid to start next time?

JMW has been more effective on the left than the right. If Lee comes back, put him on the right flank.

Young was played out of position for me - too deep so no telling attacking balls. Evans must deal with the defensive stuff.

Too little creativity. Too little urgency and pace.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Outsider wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 08:27 Don’t forget, for an average side that you say Macclesfield are, they are only 2 points off top spot, & when they beat Aldershot at home next week could well be top?
Yes, and its a real worry that we are 8 points off safety - no less than 17 teams are within 8 points of top position! Just goes to show how detached we are from survival with 25% of the season gone already.

I think this is now getting beyond "Great Escape III " territory. Another loss is likely next week with two home games to follow against in-form teams. If we get three points out of the 9 I will be pleasantly surprised. I actually think it will be 1 - Maidenhead.

We could be down well before the end of February at this rate. What is the record for the earliest known relegation?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We all hoped for a win yesterday but not too much of a surprise that we got beat really.

Most of the new players have not kicked a ball in anger this season. The ones that are here aren't fit. Even Gowling has hardly played.

We still cannot sort the left back position out which has been our downfall all season.

We need some points but it could be weeks/months before some of these players get match fit.
bornagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: matt elliot

Post by bornagull »

Please can someone tell me what Reid brings to the party and why in the second half did we just pump high balls upto him.
He was useless out wide and no better in the middle
I just can't understand how he's worth his place over keating
KingsGull1983
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by KingsGull1983 »

First game I have seen this season and like most I hoped for much much more. But why are we so disappointed given the start we have had to the season??

There was no fight and no effort, the players seemed disinterested and flat. There are no leaders the captain is an utter disgrace you could see when we went a goal down all the lads heads dropped, at that point the game was lost.

I agree with others Macclesfield were not that good, but they didn't need to be we didn't ask any questions in attack apart from a couple of nice breaks in the first half (one of which should of resulted in the keeper getting sent off). The remainder of the game the ball was lumped up front where we had no arial of physical presence.

Only time will tell but there needs to be changes in personnel and changes in attitude, Owers is making the right noises but he has his work cut out. They both soon quitened down on the bench maybe the realisation of the task in hand has sunk in??
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Man overboard....
May Day, May Day........
We're all going to die!......

:}
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

That's a very optimistic prediction!!!!!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Was it Bill Shankly who said something like 'Football's not a matter of life and death - it's more important than that'!?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

budegull1954 wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 19:11 Was it Bill Shankly who said something like 'Football's not a matter of life and death - it's more important than that'!?
Yes it was but it all depends on your priorities in life.

We've had a new management team for 1 week. 1 week.
There are a handful of new players who have known each other for 5-6 days maybe. They've had 2-3 training sessions together.
Yesterday, after about 3 minutes, Reid got tackled in the corner between the away end and Popside. Straight away, a few people moaned, groaned and commented loudly on "how **** useless he is". That possibly affected him, maybe it didn't. Either way it doesn't help after 3 minutes.

We are adrift and we are not looking healthy but nobody gets relegated in September.
If we're still 10+ points adrift in March, we can all start to slit our wrists, tie nooses or check train timetables. Until then, lets give Owers and Kuhl time and a chance. to assess the squad and try to coach what we have.

:scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Funny how things go against you when you are at the bottom of the league. Havent seen it again yet but it looked
a shocking decision regarding the Murphy-keeper incident. I was more or less level on the popside about 30 yds
away, keeper didnt go for the ball which went the other side but had a quick grab and take away at Murphys foot, why
would he go down if he wasnt touched , wasnt in the pen area, why wasnt he booked for diving if the ref thought that
its either that or a free kick/ sending off, he did nothing. No doubt Merse will come on and say the ref got it spot on
The photo in the paper shows the keeper having a grab at his foot. A goal then and our confidence would have
soared, I think we may have then got another
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Burnhamgull wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 19:34 Yes it was but it all depends on your priorities in life.

We've had a new management team for 1 week. 1 week.
There are a handful of new players who have known each other for 5-6 days maybe. They've had 2-3 training sessions together.
Yesterday, after about 3 minutes, Reid got tackled in the corner between the away end and Popside. Straight away, a few people moaned, groaned and commented loudly on "how **** useless he is". That possibly affected him, maybe it didn't. Either way it doesn't help after 3 minutes.

We are adrift and we are not looking healthy but nobody gets relegated in September.
If we're still 10+ points adrift in March, we can all start to slit our wrists, tie nooses or check train timetables. Until then, lets give Owers and Kuhl time and a chance. to assess the squad and try to coach what we have. :scarf:
Good post Burnham. Yes - we have to stick with the TUFC roller coaster with Gary and Martin at the helm and just hope that it doesn't lead us to Weston-Super-Mare next season ........ ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

"I didnt come here to watch that" say Owers. Well at least you didnt have to pay to watch it Gary !
In fact you got paid to watch it !
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Macclesfield were not that average - they played the ball out from defence confidently, their players seemed happy on the ball, they supported one another, their lively centre-forward came off his markers to bring others into play and got the support from behind - in short, basic teamwork playing the ball mainly on the deck. If only we could aspire to such teamwork - it has been lacking all season.
Our centre-forward on the other hand was often isolated with the ball whacked at or over his head, our wide men nearly always looked to go backwards if they had the ball to feet and our two midfield men had too much ground to cover because the wide men were too static; hence we revert to park-style hit and hope and become fragmented, and have no hope of trying to control a game (even though we are the home side and desperately need any points).
How professional is that? It was difficult to see how we expected to score, apart from the 12th-minute glorious through ball and unbelievable non-red-card for the keeper, and from a couple of very good headed chances spurned by our defenders getting forward for set pieces.
Hopefully our new manager can introduce a teamwork ethic (and even some basic passing, ball control, and purpose) even though we have a disparate squad of players whose main effort seems to be to show promise singly rather than collectively. Making the opposing keeper earn his money would be nice to see as well.....
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

All what you are saying comes with confidence and we know that a win could bring this back. I believe that if two positions were sorted out and we get a win we could recover.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

arcadia wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 19:33 All what you are saying comes with confidence and we know that a win could bring this back. I believe that if two positions were sorted out and we get a win we could recover.
I wouldnt want to knock your confidence but i think at least 5 positions are lacking IMO.
A win would in a lot of cases be a turning point but in most teams suffering a stretch of bad form or loss of confidence. We have all that and issues behind the scenes that are potentially catastrophic in the long term.
The turn around will be slow but we could recover especially if the players buy in to the prospect of the most monimental great escape in history assuming our current management team are the chosen ones.