Woking v Torquay match thread Monday 28/8/17 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I have now! Just seen on Gulls TV the Solihull goalkeeper's goal on Saturday. It really was pathetic to watch. Are we really as bad as that?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I agree with Wivelgull. I posted on the other thread that on those highlights we should have won the Solihull game 1-0. For their first goal all Higgins has to do is stand directly behind their forward. Yet he is two yards away from him. It is primary school defending.

As for the second goal why on earth does Lavercombe come charging towards the ball when it is blatently obviously going to bounce over his head. A six year old would have saved that.

I can accept that we are terrible but giving games away like this is beyond the pale.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

I can't disagree with anyone who feels it's time to stop going, how can anyone justify constantly spending your hard earned money on this tripe?!

If we do that though and give up on the fight are we not making it easier for GI to get what they want? A club with no support, seemingly dead and languishing in some dodgy south west league offers less ability to lobby the local council and oppose any dodgy moves but a club with a hardcore 1,400 fans in attendance shows the potential of what it could be again if the council don't let GI destroy it all together?

While we have a hardcore support, the ground and our heritage I still believe we have a chance of going again one day.

I've no clue what's best and no nobody should be crisistsed for walking away, I just fear that actually plays into GIs hands.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

brucie wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:38 I agree with Wivelgull. I posted on the other thread that on those highlights we should have won the Solihull game 1-0. For their first goal all Higgins has to do is stand directly behind their forward. Yet he is two yards away from him. It is primary school defending.

[highlight=yellow]As for the second goal why on earth does Lavercombe come charging towards the ball when it is blatently obviously going to bounce over his head. A six year old would have saved that.[/highlight]

I can accept that we are terrible but giving games away like this is beyond the pale.
No communication between goalkeeper and defenders probably. Lavercombe doesn't know whether to stay in goal or get closer to the Solihull striker, in the end he does a bit of both and the result speaks for itself.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:14 By paying money to go and watch Torquay United you are helping GI. The destiny of the club isn't in your hands whether you attend or not. I accept my turn of phrase was insulting and unacceptable and for that i do apologise. All i want is for fans to actually wake up and realize the reality of what has been happening to the club over the past 5 years and what is likely to happen in the near future if the trend continues. After the start to the season i'd say it's business as usual.

Handing your money over to GI just helps them spend less and doesn't change the direction the club is going in.Handing your money over to sh*te footballers with no semblance of self respect doesn't change the direction the club is going in.

It's like all these Gooners moaning about Wenger and Kroenke. Those two aren't bothered because those fans will moan then still pay thouands of pounds for tickets every season. They can't lose. GI can't lose. There is zero resistance and fans still, STILL keep on giving the f*ckers money!!
Says it all really. But don't forget the happy clappers who applaud crap. I know some call it supporting the club but it is not. It allows under achieving players and management to get away with feeling they did OK. It is up to the fans to be critical when criticism is justified and that has just not happened in recent years with everyone making excuses. GI also deserve criticism but already there are people on here saying well they are putting money into the club so they must be alright. Christ wake up and smell the coffee.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

sgf wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:01 After 40 years today is the final straw. I won't be posting on here anymore and will be going to no more games. I have fallen out of love the club and will instead staRT taking in local games. No stress, no abject disappointment

The club does not deserve the loyal following it has. It has become a joke of epic proportions and I csnt watch the club that has played such a big part of my life die before my eyes.

Those of you who keep the faith, I wish you luck but I fear this decline is terminal

I am so **** off by every Saturday being ruined by these bunch of talentless clueless ****. If you can't play football to a professional standard then spare me the pain and **** off

Peace out, for good.
Well, Lucyx2 called it right. There are always plenty of goals when we play Woking :@ Sgf - stick with it just a bit longer. Let's wait to see who the next manager will be. Advice to Richinns (similar to what I suggested to Lucyx2) - just ignore the Village Idiot - it really isn't worth the time spent replying to his infantile posts.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I enjoyed a very nice day at the beach! Bless my family and friends who made the journey to Woking this morning. Can't see us winning and can't believe that any manager will change my opinion. Can only think of the worst, especially with GI.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 18:38 I enjoyed a very nice day at the beach! Bless my family and friends who made the journey to Woking this morning. Can't see us winning and can't believe that any manager will change my opinion. Can only think of the worst, especially with GI.
Hoping it wasn't Eastbourne beach ? Hopefully the only eyes being rubbed today were those of Gulls fans in disbelief at Woking and not you in your budgie smugglers at Eastbourne beach whilst trying to fend off an incoming chemical mist. :lol:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 18:43 Hoping it wasn't Eastbourne beach ? Hopefully the only eyes being rubbed today were those of Gulls fans in disbelief at Woking and not you in your budgie smugglers at Eastbourne beach whilst trying to fend off an incoming chemical mist. :lol:

Oddicombe beach in Babbacombe, actually :na: .

And I had a much better afternoon than being in Woking!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Only thing you can do in this situation is bet on the opposition each week. Woking were 7/5 today, easiest £140 off a ton I will ever make.

All we can do is hope and pray the new manager can work wonders. If not (and yes, I do realise our problems like a lot deeper than that) it'll be all over.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

wivelgull wrote: 28 Aug 2017, 17:31 I have now! Just seen on Gulls TV the Solihull goalkeeper's goal on Saturday. It really was pathetic to watch. Are we really as bad as that?
YEP
Grecian71
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Fred Binney

Post by Grecian71 »

A quick eye witness account from a Grecians fan at the game - I live in a village not far from Woking and thought I'd take in some football. I'll keep it short as you probably won't appreciate a City fan having witnessed that - but just to say that for the sake of professional football in Devon I do hope you turn this around.

I didn't really understand your line-up given the circumstances, far too attacking leaving a back four of limited ability, and low in confidence, exposed. You were outnumbered in midfield and while I guess Luke Young is a decent player he didn't have a great game today - tidy enough when in possession but offered little protection to the back four when in defensive mode. (Watch the third goal to see how he bounced off the Woking player who then crossed for a decent finish).

Their first goal should have been a save all day long, but it looked like the keeper saw it late, still got to it but then misjudged the trajectory and appeared to palm it into the net. Poor defending on your right from a routine throw-in on the halfway line led to the second. And then you get back into it with a great strike following a long throw which was cleared well enough, but returned with interest.

That just went to show how brittle Woking were, they briefly went to pieces at the back and you had a decent penalty shout straight afterwards which if given would have put them down to 10.

However normal service resumed in the second half, no changes to personnel or tactics and the third goal followed, which as I say resulted from poor midfield cover (and a non-existent left back) followed by a smart finish around the six-yard line. The fourth was another good finish from someone who again had too much space to attack the back four.

I understand the doom and gloom but I honestly think that was a game you could have got something from with a more defensive set-up, hit the channels for wide runners and then relied on set pieces. At this point the management should be just stemming the bleeding and accepting some grubby 0-0 draws, or with luck a one-nil win against the run of play. Some of the basic ingredients are there - Gosling can deliver a good cross, you've got your guy with the throw, and judging by Keating's record he's got an eye for goal.

Some final points;

- good positive away support, though I didn't wait for the end to hear the reception at the final whistle
- I honestly think the players kept trying despite everything.
- Fallon offered very little, he just gets in the way of players with more to offer.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was at work most of the day, was hoping for a draw, but expected a narrow defeat, 4.1, words fail me. Just underlines the need for a new manager to be in place by Thursday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AlsagerGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by AlsagerGull »

One point that hasn't really been discussed today was, yet again, another unbelievable fact. Yes after only six games of a tiresome season we only had 15 fit players and couldn't even fill the bench!!! Well what happened to the kit man we trailed in preseason?? Maybe KN really understand how bad the squad was and was trying all avenues? The reality is that the pieman, program seller, office admin assistant and even the grounds man could get a game now. Another question was Osbourne (on the bench) the owner?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Very good impartial post from an Exeter fan. Thanks Grecian71. Do you need another striker to replace Ollie Watkins. You can have Rory Fallon for free ....... with a couple of cornettos thrown in !