Announcement this week??

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

Kit_robin wrote:3 years?

What the f**k.

I can only presume it was a negotiation along the lines of "if you want me to work here for that pittance, Dave, then you'll have to give me an extra year on the contract."

Well, he is basically un-sackable for two years, so I hope he lives up to the hype!
FOR F**KS SAKE STOP MOANING WE HAVE A GOOD MANAGER TIED DOWN AND GEOFF HARROP ISN'T CEO BE HAPPY :@ :@
TUST Member 405
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Kit_robin wrote:3 years?

What the f**k.

I can only presume it was a negotiation along the lines of "if you want me to work here for that pittance, Dave, then you'll have to give me an extra year on the contract."

Well, he is basically un-sackable for two years, so I hope he lives up to the hype!
I know! Great news huh? Like a professionally run football club we now have a platform on which to build and move forwards (and upwards) :clap:
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The propensity of TUFC fans to moan at anything is reaching new levels.

Sometimes, if you have an asset you think is worth keeping, you need to take a bit of a gamble. Nico's tenure so far has been nothing short of successful - all requirements achieved with games to spare - so on what grounds do we have to not be over the moon with this development today?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The right thing to do. Nico has totally without any doubt earned this. But what pisses me off is some posters already moaning about the length of the deal and the 'player' bit before the ink on the contract is even **** dry. For gods sake its like mufc fans whinging because they haven't won a trophy in the six months.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Plainmoor78 wrote:The right thing to do. Nico has totally without any doubt earned this. But what pisses me off is some posters already moaning about the length of the deal and the 'player' bit before the ink on the contract is even f**king dry. For gods sake its like mufc fans whinging because they haven't won a trophy in the six months.
To be honest, I can *kind of* see where those people are coming from, because we've been burned before when we've had to sack to a manager only to then be on the hook for the rest of his contract. While I'm optimistic that won't happen here, I can see why - if you're a naturally negative, pessimistic type - that would be where your mind wandered
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

People see, to have difficulty separating their views on nicho as a manager and what makes good business sense for the football club.

I wanted nicho to continue. But 3 year contracts in non league football are about as common as pink unicorns. There's a very good reason for that, because even the best of managers have poor runs and end up getting sacked, and in non league football a bad run on the pitch has a massive impact on finances compared to the football league because there is basically no other money.

Nicho did what he set out to do, which was keep us in the league. However he has never, with us or anyone else, had to build a squad from scratch over a summer. That is a completely different problem than inheriting a squad you've already seen play, move players out and get others in - often players who will accept less than normal because they're either not playing or without a club. We've seen the best managers get this wrong, all far more experienced than nicho. I'm hopeful he will succeed but there is certainly a chance he won't, and what then? 2 years of wages? No, like with Hargreaves 18 months ago we will be stuck because we can't afford to change.

Nicho earned his reengagement but 3 years benefits only him, not the football club. A 2 year deal would be acceptable but is still a gamble, but gives you the opportunity to negotiate to extend at any point over the next 18 months. I would also concede Nicho would push very hard for at least two years and that giving him 2 years is just reward for his work last year.

The custodians if the football club will argue that nicho will be so amazing it will make us money when he goes to manage in league 1 next summer - well I truly hope that's the case.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Kit_robin wrote:People see, to have difficulty separating their views on nicho as a manager and what makes good business sense for the football club.

I wanted nicho to continue. But 3 year contracts in non league football are about as common as pink unicorns. There's a very good reason for that, because even the best of managers have poor runs and end up getting sacked, and in non league football a bad run on the pitch has a massive impact on finances compared to the football league because there is basically no other money.

Nicho did what he set out to do, which was keep us in the league. However he has never, with us or anyone else, had to build a squad from scratch over a summer. That is a completely different problem than inheriting a squad you've already seen play, move players out and get others in - often players who will accept less than normal because they're either not playing or without a club. We've seen the best managers get this wrong, all far more experienced than nicho. I'm hopeful he will succeed but there is certainly a chance he won't, and what then? 2 years of wages? No, like with Hargreaves 18 months ago we will be stuck because we can't afford to change.

Nicho earned his reengagement but 3 years benefits only him, not the football club. A 2 year deal would be acceptable but is still a gamble, but gives you the opportunity to negotiate to extend at any point over the next 18 months. I would also concede Nicho would push very hard for at least two years and that giving him 2 years is just reward for his work last year.

The custodians if the football club will argue that nicho will be so amazing it will make us money when he goes to manage in league 1 next summer - well I truly hope that's the case.

Perhaps we move away from the sacking culture?
Nicho has proven he has what it takes, so what if we have a bad run of form at some point? The fact that he has a three year contract means he has the space to learn and grow and build a team, build the club (back up).
Your idea of a short contract so that he can more easily be sacked if we lose a couple of games encapsulates so much that is wrong with the modern game.

And when (or if, depending on your levels of pessimism) the bigger clubs calling we will be able to demand some decent compensation.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I appreciate what kit robin says and can totally accept it is a good point. But I also have to agree with what philgull says about the sacking culture. This is one of the many corrosive aspects of the modern game.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I don't think my point has anything to do with a sacking culture. 2 years is adequate to give a manager some sort of security at the beginning of their tenure.

Anyway, I am very much hoping that this point is moot and either he is still here in three years or we have received some nice compensation for him, as both of those means TUFC have moved forwards.

What I do hope is that nicholsons own words on Facebook are heeded, and that those out there make some sort of
Commitment to the cause and get a season ticket, money in the players fund etc. He has done enough to be trusted with our money to have a go at building a competitive squad, and the more we support him the less of a problem the three year contract will be! ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PhilGull wrote: Perhaps we move away from the sacking culture? Nicho has proven he has what it takes, so what if we have a bad run of form at some point? The fact that he has a three year contract means he has the space to learn and grow and build a team, build the club (back up). Your idea of a short contract so that he can more easily be sacked if we lose a couple of games encapsulates so much that is wrong with the modern game.

And when (or if, depending on your levels of pessimism) the bigger clubs calling we will be able to demand some decent compensation.
Absolutely totally agree with this. What the club is crying out for is some stability and continuity. During the last three seasons, we have had two managers per season - Ling/Knill, Knill/Hargreaves and Cox/Nicho and Gawd knows how many players have come and gone in that time. You can't run a successful team like that. Forest Green finish second in the league after being out in front with Cheltenham all season and their manager gets the sack before the play-offs. It's madness ..... unless there were other off the field reasons for his sacking. I'm delighted that the present Board have had the foresight to give Nicho a three-year contract which I hope the new prospective owners have agreed ....... presuming that they are still the prospective new owners.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

There are likely to be at least three variables involved in a negotiation with a prospective manager: salary, length of contract and playing budget.

The three variables will flex depending on those negotiations. A high salary can go with a short term contract and low playing budget. A lower salary can only be achieved if the contract term is longer and there is the promise of a larger playing budget - after all any manager has to think of their family and the role is precarious at the best of times.A longer contract and bigger budget is their insurance policy.

I suggest that the only way the Board could get their man (Nicho who most on here have been championing) within budget was to offer a longer term contract. So why are some moaning already about the contract length. Nicho deserves the greater security this offers him given the fantastic job he has done this season with a very poor hand of cards.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!