Next Years Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
fred disley

Post by fred disley »

I agree a lot with what has already been said re the squad, which is effectively Nicholson's own.
By his own reckoning he would try and sign all his loan players but lets be honest, Butler, Mcdonald, Smith ,Rees, Young, Blissett are all good enough to play in the football league, and unless our new potential owners have deep pockets we will not be seeing them again next season.
With that in mind I would keep Gerring, although I agree with some sentiments that he is no footballer, Hancox definitely can go ,anyone who tells him he has a career as a footballer is doing a big dis service to him. I am probably in a minority with Chaney, he has little or no positional awareness, is too easily tackled and cannot work with other forwards, anyone who says he is a young O,kane is deluded, send him out on loan see if can start turning this alleged potential into reality.
I would keep Fisher, we will always need a No 2 keeper, and he has probably learnt a considerable amount in this last four months, and besides he wont cost a lot.
Do they still do utility players, if so we certainly need a couple, one at the back and a large version for midfield where we have the creativity but seemed to get bullied a lot, I have seen teams this season at Plainmoor where one player weighed nearly as much as Young, Richards and Rees combined.

Either way I hope against hope we keep Nicholson, with a full pre season I have high expectations for next season
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: And yet Lee Mansell is a regular in the Bristol Rvrs side that's challenging for automatic promotion to Div 1 and was also a regular in their promotion side from the Conference last season so the other 10 players in the team must be sh*t hot ..... :whistle:
:goodpost:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Whitby Town beat Barwell 2-1 last night to secure their place in the Northern Premier League (Evostik Northern Premier League Division 1). The next season will be our 19th consecutive season in that league. You might ask what that has got to do with United's squad for the new season: well, the same as Whitby's. We want and need promotion, but are hamstrung by lack of funds and poor attendances (although we may get 2000 for Thursday night's match against Darlington who need to win to gain promotion).1750 will come from Darlo and 250 from Whitby.
The only way to get promotion is to get hold of better players - nothing else will do.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Whitby Town beat Barwell 2-1 last night to secure their place in the Northern Premier League (Evostik Northern Premier League Division 1). The next season will be our 19th consecutive season in that league. You might ask what that has got to do with United's squad for the new season: well, the same as Whitby's. We want and need promotion, but are hamstrung by lack of funds and poor attendances (although we may get 2000 for Thursday night's match against Darlington who need to win to gain promotion).1750 will come from Darlo and 250 from Whitby.
The only way to get promotion is to get hold of better players - nothing else will do.
WELL DONE THE SEASIDERS !!!! So both of your teams have survived torrid seasons, then ! It's rather too simplistic to say get hold of better players. Firstly, the finance has to be there to bring in so called 'better players' but that's not the be all and end all. You have to have a manager who can build a team, generate team spirit and bring out the best from those players. Everyone quotes Leicester for obvious reasons, but Eddie Howe at Bournemouth has done fantastically well to keep the Cherries in the Premier. Burton Albion and Rochdale (Div 1) and Accrington (Div 2) have had amazing seasons with, as far as I know, limited finances to bring in 'better players'. You will remember managers at Plainmoor who knew what they wanted and brought out the best from their squads - Frank O'Farrell, Dave Smith, Cyril Knowles, Leroy Rosenior and Martin Ling ....... and hopefully now, Kevin Nicholson.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Given the recent form we already have the manager and players to get back in to the Football League, all we need is the money to keep them all!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Talking of promotion, I have now reached the 800 mark in my postings. I believe that the next promotion comes at 1000 postings, so I will have to get cracking. I wonder who is the most prolific poster of all.....
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

If you go to this link and select to order list by post you will see! :scarf:

http://torquayfans.com/memberlist.php?m ... memberlist
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

wivelgull wrote:Talking of promotion, I have now reached the 800 mark in my postings. I believe that the next promotion comes at 1000 postings, so I will have to get cracking. I wonder who is the most prolific poster of all.....
2 places below you WivelGull. Going to have to up my game and post more banal nonsense. Shouldn't be a problem........
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, but I want promotion!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Blimey! I'm a long way behind brucie! Incidentally, I noticed one contributor is listed as 'banned' Why was that? What can we be banned for?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:Blimey! I'm a long way behind brucie! Incidentally, I noticed one contributor is listed as 'banned' Why was that? What can we be banned for?
Making silly score predictions :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Yellow4life wrote:If you go to this link and select to order list by post you will see! :scarf:

http://torquayfans.com/memberlist.php?m ... memberlist
Sweet baby Jesus, look how many Austrian Andy made, he is still way out in front by a few thousand and he hasnt posted under that name for a couple of years, add to that the ones he did under his other moniker. :-o :O
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Satisfied with a solid top 20 there!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I notice that two characters have been banned (I only trawled through the first 25 pages!). My favourite, the wonderfully named BERT, has only posted 20 times; I am a little surprised. Good old BERT!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

wivelgull wrote:Blimey! I'm a long way behind brucie! Incidentally, I noticed one contributor is listed as 'banned' Why was that? What can we be banned for?
Well the highest banned poster has made over 7000 posts, mostly involving blasphemy, often involving insults and on occasions involving bigotry.

It must be incredibly difficult in the field of Law to make a reasoned argument without including slanderous comments.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"