Takeover of the club at an advanced stage

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Build it and they will come.
TUST No 278
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Venue is the key word. Does Torbay have anywhere that could put on the kind of event the others can?
If it does you'd have to ask the council why they aren't looking to entice such a thing to add a little to the local economy.
:goodpost:

exactly Dave.

Scarborough with their nice venue in the North Bay and the gigs they now attract - even Bridlington are at it!!!

And what about dear old Blackpool?

If these places can do it, then Torquay certainly can.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

The Chiefs model is based around their conferencing and banqueting facilities, playing off their easy access to the M5 and Exeter's strong business community. Alas Torquay does not have the strong business community, has loads of conferencing space thanks to the local hotels and Riviera Centre and the days of companies heading down here for their national conference has long passed. Best we get is Nigel Farage every few years and waste companies. They do host the odd gig though but it's not their expertise.

That's why I mentioned the only way a Torquay gigging venue would get anywhere is if it was run by people with connections, a decent marketing machine across the south west and knowledge of the market. None of which the new owners seem to possess, they'd also be at an inherent disadvantage to the Pavilions of not having indoor facilities for bands that want to play indoors but it'd have a better location than Plymouth.

Still makes more sense than greyhounds or speedway mind.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Ok. Those who feel that we can host big names.........I will hold my breath. We seem to have exhausted pop concerts, greyhounds and speedway.
Perhaps we should agree to disagree.
It seems that the deal is almost complete and out of our hands now.

Lets hope it works well and OUR Club is saved.

Now lets talk footie.............and a result at Gateshead
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

SenorDingDong wrote: That's why I mentioned the only way a Torquay gigging venue would get anywhere is if it was run by people with connections, a decent marketing machine across the south west and knowledge of the market. None of which the new owners seem to possess.
Yeah, if only they had someone like this guy, who was responsible for putting on events with major international bands at the Milton Keynes bowl...
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/bill-glass-35506729

Oh no wait, my mistake, they do. It is him.

I admire everyone's scepticism - I myself am also sceptical until they tell us how they are going to make money, but I would expect people to at least do some cursory research before passing comment.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Kit_robin wrote: Yeah, if only they had someone like this guy, who was responsible for putting on events with major international bands at the Milton Keynes bowl...
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/bill-glass-35506729

Oh no wait, my mistake, they do. It is him.

I admire everyone's scepticism - I myself am also sceptical until they tell us how they are going to make money, but I would expect people to at least do some cursory research before passing comment.
You are of course correct, I forgot they had involvement in Milton Keynes. Which just solidifies the idea of music events being much more viable than men on bikes going around in circles or dogs.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have it on good authority that Exeter Chiefs on a big weekend can turn over £100,000.

It is all about quality. Get it right and people will come from a wide area.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

portugull wrote:I have it on good authority that Exeter Chiefs on a big weekend can turn over £100,000.

It is all about quality. Get it right and people will come from a wide area.
Well 10,000 tickets at £20.00 plus each is £200,000,a little less I expect because of season and concession tickets. You then have to add on profits from corporate entertainment and catering.........don't forget the beer sales!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

wodger of awabia wrote: Well 10,000 tickets at £20.00 plus each is £200,000,a little less I expect because of season and concession tickets. You then have to add on profits from corporate entertainment and catering.........don't forget the beer sales!
I presumed portugull was referring to non-sporting income, but perhaps he would like to clarify?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

MF68 wrote:Ok. We seem to have exhausted pop concerts, greyhounds and speedway.
Perhaps we should agree to disagree. It seems that the deal is almost complete and out of our hands now.
Your right after all Bill Glass of Gaming International is only the Director of Greyhound Board of Great Britain, Director of Greyhound Racing Fund, and Director of Race Course Promoters Association - so no need to speculate about the ludicrous idea that there may be a model for greyhound racing at a new multifunctional Torquay stadium. I don't think I mention he is also Venue Director at the Milton Keyes Bowl which has featured Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, Haim, and major dance festival The Electric Daisy Carnival. Now I do not believe for one second that Milton Keyes is the centre of the music world so why do so may plaudits think Torquay cannot replicate what Milton Keyes does. I wont mention speedway anymore as most appear to think Gaming International have brought Torquay Utd for its pure football magnetism and in order to make their fortune or failing that, for the sheer joy of owning a Southern League football club - O' the joy - the sheer joy!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:It depends upon the nature of the concert. If you put on Max Bygraves or Little and Large only the grockles will go - and they're only here for a few weeks.
Er ...... Max Bygraves is no longer with us so that would be a dead loss. Unless you're thinking of a seance ?? :whistle:

Out of interest, does anyone know where Steve Breed is these days? Up until Christmas, he seemed to be on the radio or the tele or in the Herald Express virtually every week, but these last three months, he seems to have vanished. The rare nuggets of information we get come from the chairman, David Phillips, who previously left everything to Steve Breed. Has Steve Breed, as Chie Exec, made any comment about the takeover?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

ooh co me on Guys. we do have big names that could fill venues down here. I could fill the canteen and SG could fill the bogs. I will leave you to guess what he could fill em with but he could fill em. and if Brucie or Wivell were hired I'm darned sure they could fill the stadium with gloom.
Failing that.. lets Get Max begrimes with Rod Hell and is EMU. the event could be called cross over to the Dark side
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

We now have an "Official Statement" from Torquay Fans Limited who for some strange reason seem to think that their cause will be best furthered by only posting on the least used TUFC forum

Torquay United Fans Limited
Official Statement.

We apologise to all fans and organisations who have emailed us requesting clarity on the shares offer. We would like to clarify our position:

1. In the event that we do not purchase the club in the near future, all money raised via the purchase of shares would be returned to each shareholder.

2. In the event that we do not purchase the club in the near future, all money raised via donations will also be returned to the individuals and organisations who made the donation.

3. Torquay United Fans Limited is purely for the benefit of Torquay United Football Club and the fans, both current and future. We are committed to the success and longevity of the club.

4. All monies raised from the sale of shares and donations will be used for the benefit of the club. Our intentions are as follows:

a) To purchase the club from the current owners.

b) To invest in the team.

c) To install the much needed new drainage system for the pitch.

d) To purchase the freehold of Plainmoor from Torbay Council, whereby protected

covenants would be placed on the land so that no one can develop the site for

personal, financial gain.

e) Torquay United Football Club would only move to a new ground if substantial

funds were available and a new stadium was built first. Then and only then would

Plainmoor grounds be sold for development.

All monies raised would go back in to Torquay United Football Club.

We have had a couple of meetings with the TUST and we have a great deal of respect for the organisation. Unfortunately, they have been unable to raise the substantial sums of money that this venture requires. In November 2015 they had approximately £12, 500

available. We have at this point, significantly more than £12,500 and this does not include any pledges, money raised from shares or fundraisers. We will continue to raise funds for the survival of the club.

We believe that the intentions of the TUST honourable and are for the benefit of the club. However, as a corporation, we believe that we have a greater chance of success due to the established corporate knowledge and sponsorships that we have available.

We would like to state that Mr and Mrs Roberts withdrew as Directors of the current board because they had grave concerns about the direction the current board members and a member of staff (who is no longer with the club) would take Torquay United Football Club. The club is now in the position that they feared it would be. It is always easy to criticise when you do not have the full facts. Mr and Mrs Roberts are devoted fans of Torquay United Football Club and as such, have the best interest of the club at heart. Mr Authers has become a dedicated supporter along with his children and his company has donated in excess of £21, 000 over the last three years. This is by way of machinery and works carried out at the grounds.

We would like to confirm that we have attempted to secure the future of Torquay United Football club since November 2015, but we refused to pay £500, 000 to the directors for their shares in the club. This is because this money was to be paid to the directors individually; therefore, not for the benefit of the club. We understand that they have invested in the club but feel that it is morally wrong that they should profit when the clubs previous owner, Mrs Bristow, gave so much to the club and relinquished her role, requesting nothing. Clearly, the money should be invested into the clubs’ future.

We have always been blocked by the board, with no valid reasons provided. In our opinion, the reasons are becoming crystal clear. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the fans for their dedication and devotion to club and for providing invaluable information.

We have respectfully requested that Torquay United Football Club board of directors come up with a realistic price for the club so that we can move forward with the fans to secure the future of the club. We will keep the fans fully informed of any and all responses received.

We believe that Plainmoor should not be put at risk for development. The fans have already shown how they feel about any proposed development of the land and the risks this would impose on Torquay United Football Club. For those fans and organisations wishing to purchase shares or make a donation, please contact us at [email protected]

Yours sincerely

Torquay United Fans Limited
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The current board laughed off Authers 'approach' and as a joke he was told to come back when he had 500 grand. The bloke is obviously a dreamer and was treated as such rather than waste their time dealing with him. I wouldn't trust him or the Roberts who reneged on a deal once already and have been shown to be pretty disruptive at a time when the club needed unity.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

God! Who to trust? If Breed and Phillips were joking wouldn't they have come up with a more unrealistic offer? Anyway, if this statement from Torquay United Fans Limited has been made in last few days, the calling for additional funds is all a bit too late given a takeover is almost complete.