Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

I never suggested that he would not attend, simply stating my position.
It as not been an easy decision to make but I have simply had enough. There is no logic in appointing Nicholson (except for the fact that he may be unpaid - and for how long?). I further do not believe that attending on Wednesday will answer some of the questions that need answering.
I have attended matches and contributed to the players fund this season whist at the same time watching four regulars on the Popside gradually walk way from watching the club every week. Now I have decided to do the same - Cox gave me hope, Nicholson gives me none. I simply find it too painful to watch - If that makes me a lesser fan than others on this site then so be it. Do I wish the club well, of course I do as I wish all the best to the fans that remain.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The crass stupidity of a part of the clubs own support, is truly worrying.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

We keep talking on here about the apathy from the South Devon public towards TUFC and the lack of people coming through the turnstiles and here we go again. People staying away from Plainmoor just because Nicho's in charge. Let's all give up now shall we and lock the doors, because that's what will happen.

Irrespective of who the gaffer is or who you wanted to see as boss, I urge everyone to get down to Plainmoor as much as possible. Otherwise it will become irrelevant as to who's in charge as there will be NO club to support.

Cmon you Yeeeelllloooowwwwssss :scarf:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:We keep talking on here about the apathy from the South Devon public towards TUFC and the lack of people coming through the turnstiles and here we go again. People staying away from Plainmoor just because Nicho's in charge. Let's all give up now shall we and lock the doors, because that's what will happen.

Irrespective of who the gaffer is or who you wanted to see as boss, I urge everyone to get down to Plainmoor as much as possible. Otherwise it will become irrelevant as to who's in charge as there will be NO club to support.

Cmon you Yeeeelllloooowwwwssss :scarf:
With the major irony being that the board probably thought that this appointment would add to the gates. I wonder how stupid they'll feel when they realise that it won't be the case and the early signs are it will be the opposite sadly. The only thing that will add to the gates (of the vast majority of clubs) is on field success.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Think nicho is having a pop at Hargreaves in the last 3 paragraphs!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34381814
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personally don't think the club appointed Nicho in the hope of adding to the gates, think the appointment is likely down to him living in Torquay, working towards his UEFA badges, and did, actually, really want to do the job.

This highly qualified, proven manager we all wanted, would have come at a price, out of the 129 applicants, how many of the serious ones would have re-located to Torquay on the financial package they'd have likely to have been offered and the player budget they'd have been working with, probably none of them, hence why we've ended up with Nicho.

The club didn't appoint Nicho to hack anyone off, and Steve Breed is working his nuts off to save the club, quite frankly deserves a lot better than he's getting, from what I can describe as idiots, saying they wont come any more because Nicho has been appointed, if you want flounce off, then off you go, but don't come crying when the clubs gone bust.

Personally if we're left with the 1400 or so TUFC fans that were at the Boreham Wood game, yes it'll mean more cuts, but fine, every man, jack of them sang their hearts for the club that night, those are the fans I to want stand with.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

I really like the phrase - a no excuses environment from now on.

I hope Kevin is true to his word.

Excusing ourselves ( the team, the performances, the support) has been one of the biggest factors in our demise.

We have allowed ourselves to feel sorry for the club. It's not the same as acknowledging the almighty task the current board, team and management face.

Don't pity the players. Don't pity the management. They need to relish the challenge if we are to survive. If the squad senses that we feel sorry for them all then mundane, average , apathetic performances are what we'll get and are what we've been getting.

We're crap but we did the best that could be expected is the mantra of many a relegated side.

Get fired up! This isn't about b******ing players unnecessarily it's about putting wind in their sails and letting them know we expect more.

We have some good young players. Let them know we think it. Let them know we expect to see them with the bit between their teeth. Had enought of the "there, there, never mind" attitude.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I don't just want to see the players fired up, our clubs got a real battle on it's hands, I, personally as fan, want to see the whole club fired up, including it's fans, crying is what babies do. If you're up for it, get to the match Saturday.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

forevertufc wrote:Personally don't think the club appointed Nicho in the hope of adding to the gates, think the appointment is likely down to him living in Torquay, working towards his UEFA badges, and did, actually, really want to do the job.

This highly qualified, proven manager we all wanted, would have come at a price, out of the 129 applicants, how many of the serious ones would have re-located to Torquay on the financial package they'd have likely to have been offered and the player budget they'd have been working with, probably none of them, hence why we've ended up with Nicho.

The club didn't appoint Nicho to hack anyone off, and Steve Breed is working his nuts off to save the club, quite frankly deserves a lot better than he's getting, from what I can describe as idiots, saying they wont come any more because Nicho has been appointed, if you want flounce off, then off you go, but don't come crying when the clubs gone bust.

Personally if we're left with the 1400 or so TUFC fans that were at the Boreham Wood game, yes it'll mean more cuts, but fine, every man, jack of them sang their hearts for the club that night, those are the fans I to want stand with.
Here here!

How about more supporters contribute to the fund? Quadruple the amount we pay individually, and send the money twice as often! Then we might stand a chance of an experienced, suscessfull manager.
'Experience' doesn't just mean they have experienced all the required needs to win football matches, it also means they've 'experienced' appertising wages which this club don't have to offer.

Out of the 129 Candidates, Nicho was probably the only realistic option. Also out of the 129 how many we're serious?
I am aware of somebody who applied using his experiance on Football manager as his key to the job. And NO that wasn't me!!

Give Nicho a chance, he's not a crap manager until he proves to be a crap manager!
He has my full support!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:Think nicho is having a pop at Hargreaves in the last 3 paragraphs!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34381814
:lol:

That was exactly my first thought when I read it!!! I get the impression that after what went on there is not much love lost between them now .... I certainly reckon if Nicho ever remarried he would choose a different best man next time, that's for sure!

OK, 24 hours on and I still feel like it's a huge gamble that the BOD have taken in appointing another "rookie" Manager and a real danger of history repeating itself with what happened to Greavsie. But we are where we are and rather like Nicho has said ... it's time to stop the moaning ... we just need to get on with it and see what happens.

The reality is none of us KNOW how good or bad a Manager he will become, because he has never done it before and so it really is a case of only time will tell. What I will say, in his favour, is that he does always come across as bright, articulate and with a sense of humour - all good traits for a Manager at this level - he also seems to be a positive person who we are now told isn't going to make excuses - something we heard far too much of from his old mucker! I also think he has a steeliness about him that might also serve him well - he has gone on record as saying that Paul Buckle was the best Manager he ever played for and if he can recreate that same sort of resolve in the dressing room that the class of 2006-8 did then that can only be a positive.

My biggest concern was that he would suffer from a lack of contacts, but given what we have learnt from SG about John Milton helping out in that area, I feel a lot happier with that side of things. I never thought Milton was given the recognition he deserved by the club for the work he put in in building that squad, from literally nothing, when Paul Buckle was first brought in. It should also be remembered that Milton was also the first person that Buckle turned to when he returned from the States to take over the helm at Cheltenham last season - which, whilst the association was short lived and ultimately unsuccessful, does go a long way to show the high regard Buckle must hold Milton in.

Anyway, time to wish Nico the best of luck and hope it works out well for all of us.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

And he looks the interviewer in the eye!

Hargreaves would look anywhere but, with his gaze wandering around the room in interviews, annoyed the hell out of me.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

A "no excuse environment" - says we are all in this together; it smacks of commitment, no-blame, working together, all aiming in the same direction. Another positive in my book.

Oh, and those "fans" that walk away when the club has never needed them so badly before - can they truly call themselves fans? What happened to TTID? And yellow and blue in my veins? If we get to Wembley in the Trophy, will they stay away? No - so they can say "I was there". We need your backing NOW fellow Gulls. Show your true colours. :scarf: :scarf:
TUST member 200 ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes none of us really know if he will be any good or not. Some of us look at the facts and think it is likely that he will fail going the same way as Compton, Saunders, Hargreaves and the like. Others will say that he will succeed through blind optimism or more likely stupidity but at the end of the day no one can foretell the future.
Its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get three points on Saturday - unlikely but you never no.
Writing nonsensical messages like the one above about the FA Trophy are just as irrelevant as well.
The FACTS are that this team cannot win games. Cannot beat teams who train twice a week and generally appear to have a complete lack of footballing ability. They concede a ridiculous amount of goals which is the main reason why we cannot win games.
We have no money, crowds are getting lower by the game. We don't have a decent goalkeeper and our most experienced player is a liability. The new manager (who it seems is employed as a player as well) will most definitely weaken the team further if he steps on the pitch.
Unless Nicholson can perform a minor miracle we are getting relegated to the Conference South (can anyone ever believe that was likely to happen).
I hope he succeeds but personally I don' t see it happening.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

brucie wrote: Writing nonsensical messages like the one above about the FA Trophy are just as irrelevant as well.
Of course it's nonsense, despite our getting to the semis last season when we were pretty dire in the league. My point was about fairweather fans. Like you? Or is it always raining in your world?
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

torq2u wrote:A "no excuse environment" - says we are all in this together; it smacks of commitment, no-blame, working together, all aiming in the same direction. Another positive in my book.

Oh, and those "fans" that walk away when the club has never needed them so badly before - can they truly call themselves fans? What happened to TTID? And yellow and blue in my veins? If we get to Wembley in the Trophy, will they stay away? No - so they can say "I was there". We need your backing NOW fellow Gulls. Show your true colours. :scarf: :scarf:
Didn't Alex Rowe once say that along with TUFC fans have nothing to fear?
Got to say I am disappointed with his recent non input. Some could say he couldn't be blamed for walking away after Wild Bill "take as much advantage as I can" phillips dumped on him over "Bodingate" but I really hoped he'd rejoin after the present Mr Phillips took over as I did have him on the true supporters list.