Torquay United v Wrexham - Saturday 4th October 2014 - 3pm

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:Wrexham deeply ordinary. As FGR, we gave them a blank cheque to fill their boots and they didn't even work Rice. They had all the ball because we KEPT giving it to them. They did nothing with it. When we finally got possession in the second half, we were miles better than them and managed to miss half a dozen really good chances. Wakefield terrible, Cruise one of the worst individual performances I've seen, Bowman wasteful, Rice howler. Everyone else did fine in patches, especially after HT.

Big Mac's booking was a farce. Had the ball kicked at him, it hit his shin and he was booked for it.

Wrexham are up the top for the same reason that Stevenage were there in L2 a couple of years ago. They waste time, they disrupt the flow of play and they generally do all they can to annoy the oppo before they even think about themselves.

Referee Ryan, can you confirm the ruling regarding their goal/Bowman's telling off, please?

Matt.
Matt you can't ask the referee that as you know the outcome :red:
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

njgull wrote: Nice to see Briscoe chip in with a goal but I feel naming a stand after him may be a bit premature.
Nice one did not think anyone would notice. :keepie:
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Well done to all the team and management - a win I think will prove to be very significant. Time to play Briscoe as a no. 10 on a regular basis?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

lucy6lucy wrote:
Matt you can't ask the referee that as you know the outcome :red:
:rofl:

Ethan, where are you reading that the opponent can't be in the box?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Massive win today. A 3rd defeat would have sent alarm bells ringing. It does seem that these lower placed teams have a very similar team tactic, yet the top half of teams at least play for the win( though it does appear Wrexham despite their position, didn't). In hindsight If we could only win the Telford match or Wrexham match, I would have picked Wrexham. Confidence will be buzzing. Looking at the table, +GD is very low apart from only 5 teams!. At this point, we should as a club be planning for a promotion challenge and back CH.
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

That was a good win today. I really thought we would lose this and before the game would have happily settled for a point, and even more so at half-time. But once we equalised you sensed the game was there for the taking and it was fitting that a wonder goal did it.

I missed most of what happened with Wrexham's goal - I looked up in time to see Moult rounding Rice but did not see the incident where he was alleged to have kicked the ball from Rice's hand. Rice was getting some stick from the Pop Side, not least from the former chairman, so I assumed it was his fault - perhaps the 5th goal in the last 3 games he has been 'dodgy' for, but the radio afterwards seemed to paint a different picture.

The first goal was good, a super build-up which resulted in the excellent Briscoe - creator of many of our best moments - finishing well and that 2nd goal. A thing of beauty. An excellent win, in my view, Wrexham are a decent team and now we are only out of the top 2 on alphabetical order, with our record identical to that of Halifax.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

hector wrote:That was a good win today. I really thought we would lose this and before the game would have happily settled for a point, and even more so at half-time. But once we equalised you sensed the game was there for the taking and it was fitting that a wonder goal did it.

I missed most of what happened with Wrexham's goal - I looked up in time to see Moult rounding Rice but did not see the incident where he was alleged to have kicked the ball from Rice's hand. Rice was getting some stick from the Pop Side, not least from the former chairman, so I assumed it was his fault - perhaps the 5th goal in the last 3 games he has been 'dodgy' for, but the radio afterwards seemed to paint a different picture.

The first goal was good, a super build-up which resulted in the excellent Briscoe - creator of many of our best moments - finishing well and that 2nd goal. A thing of beauty. An excellent win, in my view, Wrexham are a decent team and now we are only out of the top 2 on alphabetical order, with our record identical to that of Halifax.
Alphabetical discrimination. We are a higher value, surely a legal challenge in order, allowing us to go 2nd
Lucy
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Opposing players have to be outside the box for goal kicks, there is no need for them to vacate the box when the GK has the ball in hand as the ball is in play.

To expand on matts post, the law 12 interpretation document expands thus:
It is an offence for a player to prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
• A player must be penalised for playing in a dangerous manner if he kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it
• It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him, e.g. at the taking of a corner kick

To be honest, I'm not sure Bowman contravened any rules. I'm not sure tracking the movements of the goalkeeper without touching him can be called 'unfairly impeding him', however I doubt we all want to see a forward dancing around in front of the gk every time they catch it so I don't mind the fact the ref gave it. Completely different to rice, who decided to kick the football at a stationary object.

Not sure where Matt is getting his cheating view of Wrexham. I can't remember them faking any injuries or diving around. Take proof in the fact that our players only got booked for off the ball stuff. And we wasted more time than them in the short time we were leading.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

hector wrote:I missed most of what happened with Wrexham's goal - I looked up in time to see Moult rounding Rice but did not see the incident where he was alleged to have kicked the ball from Rice's hand.
Ever thought of being a sports reporter Hector? You're wasted on here :bow:
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Brilliant turnaround by the lads. Rice and the back 4 were poor in first half and ajala and bowman missed sitters in first half. Wrexham didn't seem much of a side in terms of ability but were competant and did simple things well in first half.

In second half we turned it on. Briscoe and young were superb. Ajala was better on the right and briscoe excellent up front reminds me of billy kee. Young scored the best live goal I have seen in 20 years of watching torquay.

Relieved and so happy we have pulled this character building win off.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

"All opposing players must be outside the penalty area until the ball is in play. The ball must be kicked out of the area before its in play."

http://www.csuci.edu/recreation/basicsoccerrules.pdf

Also if any of you have player fifa. (This runs on all FA rules.)
Then you can't enter the box when the keeper tries to kick it out from hands or feet
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

A Luke Young stunner sealed the points for the Gulls, something he is making a habit of doing! Possibly the best Torquay goal I have ever seen? Well it is certainly up there with the best. Torquay showed great character today to come back strongly in the second half and claim 3 points after trailing at half-time. I was concerned our season was on the slide but this was a very important and deserved win. Crowd 2,350, 205 from Wrexham, sponsors MOTM Luke Young, twitter MOTM Briscoe.

Torquay started brightly today but they did not make the best of their chances. The best chance fell to Ajala after a Young shot found Ajala clear only a few yards out. Ajala screwed his shot wide. The opening 15 minutes was a decent spectacle and pretty end to end stuff. Wrexham had a strong header from a corner that crashed off the post. The game then went through a bit of a lull with neither side creating much. Then a calamity from Martin Rice on 29 minutes. It should have been a routine drop kick from Rice who had a Wrexham player close on him. However Rice's kick cannoned off the Wrexham player and back off Rice and the ball fell loose inn the penalty area. It was a mad rush who would get to the ball first and the Wrexham player slotted the ball into the net. There were appeals all around as many referees would blow up but the goal was given. Speaking to others at half-time, they believe the Wrexham player did not impede and it was Rice's fault. Right at the end of the first half Briscoe laid a beautiful through ball to put Bowman through, however Bowman shot weakly at their keeper. A big chance missed.

Briscoe and Ajala swapped in the second half with Briscoe joining Bowman up front and Ajala going on the wing. Briscoe throughout the game had a good game using his strength, good feet on the ball and eye for a pass. Before Torquay equalised on 62 minutes, they were building a good momentum and troubling Wrexham with some decent moves. But the question was, did we have anyone to finish off our good approach play? Briscoe came to our rescue by controlling and thumping an unstoppable low shot from inside the penalty area set up by Ajala. Later Torquay were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area at a difficult angle. There seemed little hope of scoring from there. Luke Young curled a beauty over the wall that crashed off the post. Then on 84 minutes Young went one better. About 30 yards out Young chested the ball across the field and then unleashed a volley that smashed off the inside of the post and went in. It was an unbelievable effort from a special player and as you can guess the players and fans went mad. It was one of those moments that as a fan you can boast that I was there to see this amazing goal. Torquay deserved the lead as they got stronger as the second half went on. Wreexham, who I thought were a solid, workmanlike team, had no answer.

This was a significant win and Torquay showed great character to come back and beat a resolute Wrexham team. After our last two blips our season is back on track. I thought Cameron and Briscoe were our main threat going forward today and we missed O'Archie today. But Briscoe came to our rescue and showed that he can finish. Wakefield had a steady game in midfield replacing the suspended Richards and Pearce calmly did a steady job in place of the suspended Downes. Luckily we have a gem in Luke Young, a bit like when we had Mark Loram, who can be our match winner and he again came up with trumps. What a goal!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

ethantufcbaker wrote:"All opposing players must be outside the penalty area until the ball is in play. The ball must be kicked out of the area before its in play."
It was from open play though, so that's not relevant. From a goal kick Moult would have had to have been outside the area.

You're not allowed to impede the goalkeeper whilst he is releasing the ball from his hands, but if Rice kicked it against him then it's a fair goal - Rice's mistake. If Moult stopped him dropping the ball it would be a foul.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The best goal I've ever seen at Plainmoor was Darren Garner's wonder strike against Lincoln in August 2006.

Anybody remember that? Was Young's better today? That's the goal I have to gauge it against at the moment!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Scott Brehaut wrote:The best goal I've ever seen at Plainmoor was Darren Garner's wonder strike against Lincoln in August 2006.

Anybody remember that? Was Young's better today? That's the goal I have to gauge it against at the moment!!
I remember that one, great hit!