A lot to look forward to?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It depends what you look for in sporting entertainment. I enjoy seeing two guys or teams battling it out to see which is the better. I don't care whether that's V8 utes banging round a motocross track (Lucas Oil racing, it's as mad as everything else Australian) or a 5 day test match.

Baseball is the same. It's a minimum of 54 pitcher v batter duels (although such a game would be truly remarkable) to see which is the better man. Retribution can be swiftly had, a couple of inning and one almighty swing of the bat after a K (a strikeout, for the uninitiated), a batter can be sauntering round the bases with a rare 4 RBI home run (the mythical "grand slam") to his name and, conversely, to the pitcher's shame.

Yeah, there are sometimes whole matches where startlingly little happens, but that's true of any sport. Take the rough with the smooth. For every Torquay 4-3 Aldershot, there's a Chelsea 0-0 Athletico Madrid.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

This evening I was watching night cricket from Dubai; mostly Indians but also some Aussies and others. Exciting game: two runs from the final ball to win it, proving that not only is Rugby far superior to Gridiron, but Cricket is far superior to Baseball. When is America going to catch up with the rest of the world..??
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

Will say firstly that I've never been to an MLB game, but have well over a hundred NPB games under my belt, all attended from 2003-07, including 54 games in 2007, culminating in my (other) team winning the championship. 2007 was certainly a bittersweet year on the other side of the world, guess I was somewhat fortunate not to be on the same continent for the Roberts debacle, but trust me it was still felt like a dagger.

I digress. NPB is a lot more musical than MLB. I am sure the atmosphere makes a difference. Do very much enjoy the American variety on TV mind. Got hooked by watching the D'backs come from the dead against the Yankees in 2001.

The game can be boring I agree. It can still be enthralling to watch a pitcher outdo the batter while not necessarily being exciting.

But once you get a runner on base, the dynamic changes, particularly if it's the leadoff hitter. It's a cliché but it's a game of inches. The bases are just the right distance apart. The field positions are tailored just enough to make a difference or otherwise. Maybe it's me but I live the mathematics of it. And that's before you add the stats (and I do live a good stat).

And, due to it's less interesting moments it is also the perfect sport to have a beer and a chat whilst watching.

It's not football though, baseball does not quote have that ability to surprise or provide that moment of ecstasy (but I direct you back to the D'backs in 2001 to show you it comes close).

Many have disagreed with me before mind. But I don't care.