Portsmouth v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Maybe I was watching a different game to others as I would say we were not dominated in that game at all, save the last 15 - 20 minutes when Pompey got increasingly desperate to score and we started to play deeper (which Greavsie allowed for in his subs), with the intention of doing them on the break if it came.

Pompey, for all their late "dominance" only really had one notable shot in that time - this was shown on the FL show last night. The only other shot they had, which in my opinion stood more chance of going in, was saved by a moment of excellence by Tonge.

Poke had a quiet game yesterday - when he was called upon he was solid enough, but he had a fantastic centre half pairing and, more importantly, a midfield that were bossing the game in the middle of the park.

Yes, Pearce is a great big unit who didn't fail to get stuck in when needed, O'Connor likewise, but it was the brilliance of Lathrope, who seemed to be everywhere the ball was in front of the main two, and the creativity of Labadie that really did Pompey. They just didn't seem to have the answer for those two and it was this that led us to a very one sided first half.

As I said in my report last night, albeit a drunken one(!), the only player that I could find any fault with was Benners. He was a constant frustration to me. He never gives up, I'll give him that, but he was out muscled a lot of the time yesterday and wasted a golden opportunity for Stockley (I think) to put us two up when, instead of a simple cross into the box, he decided to take on two defenders and was, ultimately, shoved off the ball.

That aside, it was a good game of football, a fantastic display of dominance by our midfield and a young centre half pairing who look like they've played together for years.

We need not fear relegation if we play like that again every game.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A fantastic day yesterday and a really gutsy result. It was nice to see bodies being thrown in the way of the ball and everyone gave their all. A superb effort when you consider the rigmarole of the hotel farce. That sort of thing breeds team spirit and at the final whistle you could see it there in spades.

Creativity and lack of goals is clearly an issue however our biggest concern earlier in the season was that we were shipping goals all over the place. Greavsie has come in and we have conceded 1 goal in 3 tough away matches, he has tightened us up at the back straightaway and that is an excellent platform to build on.

He seems to have overloaded us with midfielders and strikers now, that should give him plenty of options and combinations in order to find the magic formula that will see us more of a threat in front of goal. I actually think he got his tactics spot on yesterday and it was never going to be easy in the second half with the wind behind us- we all know how strong it was blowing into our faces- the ball just flew straight through to their keeper.

It wasn't pretty yesterday, but it was a great result, the sort of match that inspires confidence, the sort of result that was our forte under Ling and we all know what momentum that created at times.

There is serious competition for places now and that can only be a good thing. I have no doubt that the squad is way too big and Hargreaves will soon be separating the wheat from the chaff, but if having a biggish squad allows us to pick up 3 or 4 wins out of February then that is a financial risk worth gambling on in my opinion. The league is so tight (and devoid of quality) that a little run will take us to mid table.

Was a great atmosphere yesterday and 741 is an outrageous away figure considering we are second bottom. It was a really good day out and one which will live long in the memory. Bury, Accrington and Northampton all to come in the next 3 weeks, its time to sort our home form out.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Even though CH does appear to have overloaded us with midfielders and strikers as you say Ben, I get the feeling over the last few weeks of the season, we may some rotation, not a bad thing when games will come thick and fast and will keep the squad fresh and on it's toe's. I really don't think we are going to see the current starting 11 played every game and flogged to death.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I agree Dave, undoubtedly some of the fringe players will be sent out on loan or contracts settled up, but if Greavsie can maintain a squad of 18-20 players all scrapping (not literally) to get into the X1 then we should be in a strong position and allow for rotation on a horses for courses basis. We all remember well that we knackered ourselves out at the back end of Ling's first season, I really can not see that happening this year. Still a long way to go but things are already looking so much more positive than a month ago.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a good point about team spirit and the hotel problem. Its a really good plus despite the horrific build up to the game we went out and won anyway - a point I made before the game. In our position that can only stand us in good stead, and on the day no excuses were needed.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Its a good point about team spirit and the hotel problem. Its a really good plus despite the horrific build up to the game we went out and won anyway - a point I made before the game. In our position that can only stand us in good stead, and on the day no excuses were needed.
Was that point made before or after your 4-0 loss prediction......

:)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Excellent result yesterday. Well done all, players and fans alike. Take a bow everyone. :bow:

Very important month coming up, with plenty of 6 pointers. This would be the perfect time to start a run, especially when playing against our relegation rivals.
Dave_Pougher wrote:Great day my first game in far to long really enjoyed the match, (even though some selfish people tried to ruin it by having a famous Mexican stand off argument YEAH yeah YEAH! who was that Aldershot tit in the light blue sweat shirt? Do us a favour mate, don't come to TQY game again.)

Hardly recognised the team and there was some new players too lol. Particularly encouraged by the way we performed when we were under the cosh, all of Pompeys moves resulted in very little, everyone seemed to be up for it right up to the final whistle, that was the difference.

Really looking forward to Bury now for Jesus's long overdue home debut.
What happened then Dave?
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Carefull Brucie, that was almost positive then.......

I agree with you though....
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

A few highlights

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

After watching that I will say it again - The kit looks much, much better with blue shorts! :~D

Well done to everyone yesterday, players, coaching staff, club and its brilliant supporters. :-D
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

chunkygull wrote:After watching that I will say it again - The kit looks much, much better with blue shorts! :~D

Well done to everyone yesterday, players, coaching staff, club and its brilliant supporters. :-D

spot on.... :clap:

:goodpost:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

chunkygull wrote:After watching that I will say it again - The kit looks much, much better with blue shorts! :~D
As opposed to no shorts at all... =D
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:Excellent result yesterday. Well done all, players and fans alike. Take a bow everyone. :bow:

Very important month coming up, with plenty of 6 pointers. This would be the perfect time to start a run, especially when playing against our relegation rivals.
What happened then Dave?

It was all a bit pathetic really, just a bit of heated argument between some singing youngsters in front off me and an older guy to my right behind them. Don't know what it was about but a few more of the youngsters got involved when he wouldn't back down and started singing something about "go home if you can't take the banter" WELL ARD! Stewards got involved but nobody was ejected. Then as it was calming down a bit smelly Tom got involved (thought he was banned, maybe wrong) and escalated the situation back up to the previous level, why I don't know as it had absolutely nothing to do with him. But through out the knob in the light blue sweat shirt from Aldershot was trying to put his four penneth worth in. Again why did he have get involved the guy was an embarrassment. Made me decide to move for the second half and go and talk to Jonas the fish!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Smelly Tom! Ha, perfect description, know who you're talking about straight away! We made one hell of a noise yesterday, one of my favourite away days ever, got the train back afterward so pretty quickly hid our colours exiting the ground, plenty of not too happy Pompey fans in the pub, especially after watching the rugby. Well done all.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nick wrote:
Also, think we should request the club play that Beatles song before games at Plainmoor to get the fans going.

:)
I kept starting that song at the end and loved every minute of it. Totally lost my voice because of it but totally worth it. It could easily be our 'anthem' song. Short and sweet but got everyone going.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com