Danny Stevens to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

You want certain relegation? Then wish for bottlers Bodin and Stevens to appear in the same starting line up.

Hargreaves has read the hard luck story and feels sorry for the little ***t.
He's being given the opportunity to run errands for real pros and at the same time get fit for a South Devon League Division 6 side.

That's it, it's a non story.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Rjc70 wrote: Probably over the course of the season, I'd agree. Performances of the like we had in the earlier part of the season - eg: when we last played Northampton - had tailed off to a degree before he became overlooked as a starter. He's young. It happens. But a nice little kick start again, be it in the form of extra competition on the training ground, needn't be entirely a negative.

One thing our manager has a good insight into is how Stevens trains. Maybe he hasn't seen enough of his intensity from his current crop of wingers? They were all benched for last weeks formation, bar Thompson, who was previously on Worcester's bench.

I can see the logic in this one. Look at how the player without a contract trains. Look how lucky you are. It's not just about that, I know, but all of our wingers are young and Greavsie may well be giving them a kick up the backside whilst at the same time assessing a player at no cost to the Club. Win win.

Good luck, Danny.
Take the point about his attitude, which is clearly exemplary - but irrespective of how well he trains, I still remember how well he plays, and the odd decent goal surely isn't enough.

With regards Chappell, he picked up an injury before the City game I think? Unless that was an excuse used to justify dropping him. Maybe he's struggling to regain full fitness. But over the season, he's been the one bright spark.

I've seen this suggestion of assessing a player at no cost to the club - but the list of players currently without a club is huge. Is he really the best one on it?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

dazgull wrote:Chappell was playing on the right when he was playing his best then Knill swapped him over and he hasn't been the same since. He had a man of the match performance against Pompey because he kept coming inside and beating them and having a couple of real cracking shots. However he never went outside the right back all day and that's exactly what Stevens did for us. Play him on the left he will cut inside 95% of the time and run into a mass of players. Yes he can have a shot now and again but every cross is the same and no threat to a keeper.

Thanks but no thanks, he failed to get contracts at Leyton Orient and Aldershot.
Absolutely 100% spot on. This is the only reason I had for not giving him the total benefit of the doubt. He did this for years and surely, surely to God he must have known that this was an vitally important area of his game he needed to work on yet continued week after week doing the same thing. It also condensed play often in the middle when Danny would run into the middle and in addition it didn't really help Nico because instead of bombing on in advanced wing positions looking for the ball he would invariably come short TOWARDS Nico and making Kev's options more limited. I could never understand why someone with such an obvious and well documented flaw to his game wouldn't try to eradicate it by doing the opposite. Rarely did we see him beat a full back or opt to knock the ball on and stretch his legs and it was so, so frustrating for the fans.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

Trojan 67 i think you are being very harsh on Stevens,i was talking to john Bartlett at work today,and we were saying that john and i will welcome Stevens with open arms back to the club,we will back Stevens and the club 100%.and we will not tolerate the abuse that you give him.. :O
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

robbotufc wrote:Trojan 67 i think you are being very harsh on Stevens,i was talking to john Bartlett at work today,and we were saying that john and i will welcome Stevens with open arms back to the club,we will back Stevens and the club 100%.and we will not tolerate the abuse that you give him.. :O

You and Bartlett can go * * * * yourselves!! :@ :red: :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You idiots don't seem to recognise the fact that Danny, once he reaches his full height and fitness under the guidance of Chris Hargreaves, will turn out to be the Lionel Messi of League Two.. :-D :na:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

He played under Buckle too and his style wasn't like Ling's. Agree though, Chris's call and we get behind them both if so.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:He played under Buckle too and his style wasn't like Ling's. Agree though, Chris's call and we get behind them both if so.
As I recall, Danny did rather well under Buckle, even in League Two. Then came Ling and Knill..
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Think about Danny is his quick feet and ball skills but the fact is he is not fast, he make look as if he is but his little legs are going nine to the dozen.
This is the reason he always has to cut inside , he hasn't got the pace to past his full back with pace.
Having said that he is an intelligent footballer an I believe he could turn out to be a playmaker in the mid field
Ok I await for all the knock backs from the assertion.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'm totally non-plussed about this whole situation. Just like every single time on here, as soon as we get someone on trial lots of people get up in arms about it.

The way I see it, Greavsie doesn't have much of a budget left and at that stage of the season there are precious few experienced FL pro's who are available. Danny is amongst the few, is known to Greavsie and in certain circumstances can do "a job" at this level - don't forget, he's been part of two Conference P/O sides and two L2 P/O sides in his short career.

Few sessions in training, if Greavsie likes what he sees then he can get him in cheap for the rest of the season as another option. I'm not buying into this "it'll stunt the development of Cameron" - from the times I've seen Cameron this season what would be best for his development would be a loan spell in the Conference South, as he looked truly awful (granted I didn't go to the City game when he was apparantly a lot better).

If he's not up to scratch then no deal, simple as that.

I'm not going to sit here and preach about how amazing Danny Stevens was - at times he was frustrating, weak, a bottler, anonymous, ran down blind alleys and all the rest of it. But on other days he was a match winner, and you don't make 131 League starts and score 15 goals if you a total mug.

If there is no better, financially viable alternative then I have no issue with him being signed up. Should it happen, between now and the end of the season he will make some king of positive impact in a game which could be the difference between staying up and going down.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jeff wrote:I'm totally non-plussed about this whole situation. Just like every single time on here, as soon as we get someone on trial lots of people get up in arms about it.

The way I see it, Greavsie doesn't have much of a budget left and at that stage of the season there are precious few experienced FL pro's who are available. Danny is amongst the few, is known to Greavsie and in certain circumstances can do "a job" at this level - don't forget, he's been part of two Conference P/O sides and two L2 P/O sides in his short career.

Few sessions in training, if Greavsie likes what he sees then he can get him in cheap for the rest of the season as another option. I'm not buying into this "it'll stunt the development of Cameron" - from the times I've seen Cameron this season what would be best for his development would be a loan spell in the Conference South, as he looked truly awful (granted I didn't go to the City game when he was apparantly a lot better).

If he's not up to scratch then no deal, simple as that.

I'm not going to sit here and preach about how amazing Danny Stevens was - at times he was frustrating, weak, a bottler, anonymous, ran down blind alleys and all the rest of it. But on other days he was a match winner, and you don't make 131 League starts and score 15 goals if you a total mug.

If there is no better, financially viable alternative then I have no issue with him being signed up. Should it happen, between now and the end of the season he will make some king of positive impact in a game which could be the difference between staying up and going down.
:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We don't need a winger though as we have four and they are all way better than Stevens. So we don't need a fifth winger (and a useless one at that)
Be realistic - he isn't good enough - some people have lost the plot in trying to justify this.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Danny may or may not turn out to be just one of the cards up the manager's sleeve. But whatever Hargreaves decides, if it's okay with him it's okay with me, unless and until history proves otherwise, and even then, it's all about the progress of the team and the club, not any one individual player..
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

potnoodle wrote:Got to give Danny a chance. Chris's choice. Got to back the manager. Never know what he lacked under Ling. We may see Danny flourish under Tarzan.
People seem to have short memories. Dannys best season here (by far) was Lings first season with (league) 38 starts and 8 goals. Thats better than the (league) 35 starts and 4 goals he managed in the previous 2 seasons added together...He had injuries problems last season that curtailed his appearances...Not that im saying he should be playing for us. I dont think he has the pace to be effective on the right wing and on the left he invariably needs to cut in.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Not the most exciting transfer news but Danny is far from the worst player we have ever seen. Extremely technically gifted, it's full credit to him that he had a couple of extremely good Football league campaigns with us despite being told that due to his physique he never would.

No-one should be expecting 10 goals and 10 assists by the end of the season, but if we could utilise him for 20 minutes here or there, against tired legs, he could be an asset. If it's a weekly contract then we really have nothing to lose. When match fit a better option that Cameron, Sullivan and possibly Thompson at this point in time, in this situation, and more likely to notch a goal than the ever prone to panicking Bodin.

Out of contract, with it all to prove, looking to resurrect his footballing career. As long as he has kept himself fit then I see no problems with this. Players with the unique TUFC mentality and are what we need.