Dominic Solanke

General chat about anything else goes here.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Dominic Solanke

Post by leetufc »

The stories going around about this kid just highlights the gap between the Premier League and lower league football, and how ridiculous the demands of young players ( or those representing them) have become.

£50K per week is absurd money for most teenage footballers to be on, let alone an 18 year old who has played one game for Chelsea and has an average goal to game ratio in Holland. Potentially another case of believing their hype before they achieve it.

No doubt he will get a staggering contract somewhere as clubs look to snap him up, but it just staggers belief.

I hope he doesn't make the same mistake as previous young players at big clubs who end up wasting heir talent because they lost motivation by earning too much to early
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

it's one of those where you can't blame a kid or his family for taking the insane money they're offered, though. Clubs feel the need to throw money at young players, and if you're 18 an can get enough to (theoretically: see Lucas Neill for details) set yourself up for life, you're going to sign.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

If he had been offered the money by Chelsea then fair enough for taking it - that's another issue altogether.

However he (his step father) is demanding this much money from his club despite having achieved very little in the game
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I always think about John Bostock with these tales. Broke in to the Palace first team at 16 but decided to take the cash and sign a pro contract with Spurs. Spent five years there - out on loan at five different clubs before being released. Last I heard he was plying his trade in the Belgian second tier. Obviously there are no guarantees in football but you would think that had he stayed at Palace he could have established himself in the first team and played Championship/Premier League football.
It's the same with any young lads we get, I always think they are better staying with the smaller club - more chance of first team football and making themselves a career. I guess this guy is a little different being he is already a Chelsea player but really - what chance does he have of ever actually playing for them?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

leetufc wrote:If he had been offered the money by Chelsea then fair enough for taking it - that's another issue altogether.

However he (his step father) is demanding this much money from his club despite having achieved very little in the game
Well, yes - but if his demands are considered too extortionate, he won't get a contract, and he'll either have to accept less or find another line of work.

I could apply for a job myself and ask for 200 grand a year (if only!) - the company might tell me to get the hell out, or they might say "well, we can go to 180". BECAUSE CAPITALISM.
I'd rip their arm off, too ;-)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.