Jamie Reid (again, probably)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 19:02 Harrop for Head Coach :)
:O :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Caldwellanddobson wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 15:59 If you read what I wrote you will see that I challenged him, I didn’t “have a go at him”
This comment is great! I’m sure you “challenging” him will help him to question his performance and therefore improve it. Why didn’t we think of this before?

I was standing next to some bloke at the Dover game who tore into Rhys Murphy who was stood 10 yards away - everyone around me found it hilarious. It’s all part of the negativity surrounding the club and the owners that will eventually get us relegated. Why would these players give a shit and play for these types of fans?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

:'( Oh dear; aother one who thinks footballers have to feel the love every time they step on the pitch. Even if they have been crap they must be lauded and applauded.........oh dear; get real!

Rhys Murphy is a grown man not an under 9 for Christ's sake!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Totally agree with Merse here who is 100% bang on the money. In my experience of going to the footy it is clear to me that shouting negative comments at players doesn't make them play better but on the flip side neither does wholehearted vocal support.

I remember during the season the club went down from the FL the players out there on the pitch were supported like heros most weeks. I went to most away games and we all were shouting encouragement at all the players constantly throughout the games. I remember being 3-0 down at Fleetwood and constantly shouting to Ricey i think it was in goal to keep his head up and he's doing ok despite having picked the ball out of his net 3 times. Went on to concede 4 too.

The players got some of the best support i've ever seen and been a part of that season and they finished rock bottom. Nothing improved them because they were weak minded, just plain shite and were expected to be inspired by wet lettuce Hargreaves.

Of course it's better to shout good stuff rather than bad stuff but this notion that good stuff makes players play better is a complete load of bollocks.

Players need to be mentally tough, have a certain amount of ability and apply themselves. Show all three to an acceptable standard and they won't have people shouting at them and they will win a few football matches.

If i am a footballer and take to the field in front of 200 travelling fans and i'm being a shite lazy arse then i'd expect to be told about it. The bloke shouting it is contributing to feeding my kids so i should have some respect for him and the rest of the clubs fans by doing my job to the best of my ability every single week.

This namby pamby bullshit is partly the reason why the club is screwed and not because some fans are shouting a few negative remarks.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

In general i just don't get lower league footballers anyway. If i was a young lad and able to earn over £300 a week playing football then i'd be coming off that pitch every game barely able to move. I would hope that with a little extra focus on my ability and improving it then i would be able to gain the respect and support of those who pay my wages and at the same time be able to forge a career for myself.

I started out working at B&Q on the night shift in my working life and if i could have earned the same peanuts by playing football instead then i'd have bit your hand off. Stacking shelves with deadheads or doing something you love and giving fans memories? I know what i'd have preferred.

Players are so bloody lucky to have the opportunities they've got and if they don't want to take them with both hands and appreciate them then they deserve shouting at. Might drum some sense into them and wake them up.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

JamieE wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 13:58 This comment is great! I’m sure you “challenging” him will help him to question his performance and therefore improve it. Why didn’t we think of this before?

I was standing next to some bloke at the Dover game who tore into Rhys Murphy who was stood 10 yards away - everyone around me found it hilarious. It’s all part of the negativity surrounding the club and the owners that will eventually get us relegated. Why would these players give a shit and play for these types of fans?
I don’t think it’s my negativity that will see the club relegated, rather abject performances on the pitch and a lack of direction off it. In general, unless poor performance is challenged it will continue in any walk of life. With regard to whether players would give a shit about ‘playing for these types of fans’, this should be immaterial as it’s their profession and their own professional pride should ensure that they perform well regardless of who they’re playing in front of.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The trouble with many modern footballers is they have no loyalty to the club they play for. If a player's had a rubbish game he should be told - if not by the supporters then certainly by the manager (or both) and I have the impression that neither Owers nor Kuhl hold back with their comments in the dressing-room after games.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Yorkieandy wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 15:12 In general i just don't get lower league footballers anyway. If i was a young lad and able to earn over £300 a week playing football then i'd be coming off that pitch every game barely able to move. I would hope that with a little extra focus on my ability and improving it then i would be able to gain the respect and support of those who pay my wages and at the same time be able to forge a career for myself.

I started out working at B&Q on the night shift in my working life and if i could have earned the same peanuts by playing football instead then i'd have bit your hand off. Stacking shelves with deadheads or doing something you love and giving fans memories? I know what i'd have preferred.

Players are so bloody lucky to have the opportunities they've got and if they don't want to take them with both hands and appreciate them then they deserve shouting at. Might drum some sense into them and wake them up.
:goodpost:

And absolutely right.

My first job was a kitchen porter
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yorkieandy wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 15:12 In general i just don't get lower league footballers anyway. If i was a young lad and able to earn over £300 a week playing football then i'd be coming off that pitch every game barely able to move. I would hope that with a little extra focus on my ability and improving it then i would be able to gain the respect and support of those who pay my wages and at the same time be able to forge a career for myself.

lets face it, most of them are a set of wusses anyway - just wanting their ego massaging. they should try rugby league - they wouldn't last 5mins...
ive only ever been paid for footie in beer tokens, but we were a good side and 1-14 gave their all for the team. the best we could hope for was playing on the hallowed turf at Oakwell in a cup final. with some of the "gentlemen" I played with it really was life and death - some of those made Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris look normal. you certainly knew from them if you'd not put it in....
I was quite fit in those days, but still remember coming off the pitch so f**ked not even being able to drink a cup of tea, never mind a pint!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 16:48 lets face it, most of them are a set of wusses anyway - just wanting their ego massaging. they should try rugby league - they wouldn't last 5mins...
ive only ever been paid for footie in beer tokens, ...............
And there was me thinking it was pies ;-)
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 17:28 And there was me thinking it was pies ;-)
nowt wrong wi' pies.
and you're rude (as usual) David.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 19:02 Harrop for Head Coach :)
Awe Dave. I knew you loved him really.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 17:45 nowt wrong wi' pies.
and you're rude (as usual) David.
Aye. But quite correct lol :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It'll be interesting to see how his relationship with MK develops when he throws his first tantrum 😉
Dave

madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 08:54 I see the potential in him...
I totally agree, he has that spark in him that teams long for, but - tellingly for the level he is at - he is incredibly frustrating to watch as he is a long way from the finished product. He reminds me of Theo Walcott; always seems to be in two minds about what he should do, he really needs to learn to just get the ball and say 'right, I'm gonna cut in and shoot' or 'I'm gonna beat him and cross'. We don't need him to be a miracle worker, just single-minded; look at players like Arjen Robben, you KNOW he is gonna cut inside and try to shoot or lay it off, he only really succeeds in a small number of attempts, but he gives the opposition a nightmare and pulls them out of position because he COMMITS to it.

I think he gets a lot of stick because he is in one of those positions that by nature are more likely to lose the ball; most positions can get away with playing the easy ball, but he will always stand out because he has to make the hard pass or the run. The right words in his ear and the right commitment to improving would get him a long way.