Steve Breed Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
InsideDevonFootball
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Luke Young

Steve Breed Interview

Post by InsideDevonFootball »

Hi All

We wanted to introduce a new project called Inside Devon Football and, as Torquay residents and fans, we felt a good way to start the new season was to conduct an interview with a key figure in United's recent history.

The links are below and if you could give us a like or share, it would be much appreciated.

Interview courtesy of Inside Devon Football, a new project shining a light on the wonderful world of football in Devon. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/insideDFmag/ and twitter https://x.com/insideDFmag

Many Thanks,
Inside Devon Football
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Looks good, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook, nor Twitter..
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Gullscorer wrote:Looks good, and I wish you the best of luck with it.
quote]

At last! Another human being! I've found one! :bow:

If I may add to Mick's agreeable sentiments, nor do I 'follow' or 'like' or 'tweet' anything or anyone.

Again, would love to read Breedy's accounts as I respect the bloke so much for what he was as a die hard fan and what he did for the club but just cannot do faecesbook, twatter or snaptwat so :'(

Looks like i'll miss out but keep my eye on here if anyone posts anything about it as i'd be very interested.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote:Looks good, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook, nor Twitter..
Neither do I, but you don't need to be on Facebook to read it, just click on the last link and you're good to go :-D
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

As Jerry says, you can just click on the link and read the interview. And if I can manage it, anyone can ...... !! The interview is primarily about his new role with Watcombe Villa. He is careful not to say why he has severed ties with Torquay Utd. This is the main bit about his departure -

After a year at the helm, with Torquay somehow surviving from the brink of financial ruin and relegation from the National League, Steve sadly left the club in circumstances that still hurt.

“I do have some bitterness at the way it ended,” he said. “We came into a club in crisis and had to make big decisions, some of them we got wrong and some were right. Running a football club is very difficult, especially when you’re hamstrung by a lack of finance.

“The way that I left the club will stick with me for a very long time and I fell out with some people who I was very close with. The healing has started now but Torquay United was a major part of my life, and not having that anymore does hurt".

He also admits that mistakes were made during the season and that they went in 'heavy handed' which resulted in good people at the club being dismissed. On another thread, Dawlish Warren has posted that Thea Bristow has resigned as a director of Plainmoor Ltd (she only became a director in March). What the hell is going on at Plainmoor ?
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Gullscorer wrote:Looks good, and I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook, nor Twitter..
Me neither
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yep, I've tried the links provided and, as Jerry says, they work fine.

Looks as if Steve Breed left because he had a serious disagreement with others at Plainmoor, which is all rather sad. But as Andy says, respect to Steve for what he did for the club. At the present time we can only speculate as to what that disagreement was, whether it was to do with Gaming International or the proposed move to a new ground, or something else, perhaps a personality clash.

Whilst I agree with Mr Philips that investment is badly needed, I also agree with Dave (Southampton Gull) that now is not the time for a move to a new ground and we should focus first on getting back to the Football League. If Leicester City could become Premier League Champions, then we can win promotion, with larger gates (bring a friend) and Players Fund donations, it can be done.

My only immediate concern, given the problems with the team coach, is how the current finances of the club are being organised and prioritised.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I use neither Facebook nor Twitter.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Gullscorer
At the present time we can only speculate as to what that disagreement was, whether it was to do with Gaming International or the proposed move to a new ground, or something else, perhaps a personality clash.
In turn we can only speculate as to why Gullscorer chooses to highlight 'proposed move to a new ground' as a possible cause of any disagreement. I'd suggest it's been picked out because of Gullscorers personal opposition to a ground move, rather than any basis for connecting any such opinion with Steve Breed.

Let's not forget that when it came to enthusiastic utterances about a move to Nightingale Park, Steve 'Win Win' Breed was leader of the pack.

It was, of course, support in principle, ticking those boxes marked 'Community', 'Recreation' and 'Sports Hub'.
It all sounded very grand and positive. Breed understandably used the phrase 'win-win' to describe United's take on the scheme.
But the major message which also emerged was – No Housing Land, No Stadium ... Ball Kicked Firmly Into Council's Lap.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/t ... story.html

It's also worth remembering that you can't always choose the order in which things can be accomplished. Would Leicester City currently be in the Premier League at all, let alone have won it, if they hadn't moved to their new stadium ?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Joe, yep, I should have put a question mark after that sentence, because I was indeed speculating rather than stating the causes of the disagreement - I had forgotten that Herald Express article mentioning Steve Breed's view on a new stadium! I myself am not opposed to a new stadium, indeed I believe it's a great idea in principle, but it's one for the future and which requires a great deal of thought before getting involved with property development companies. Isn't Plymouth Argyle still waiting for their new grandstand, following their takeover by the same company which was going to develop Oldway Mansion? But all that, and Steve Breed, are side issues right now. We should be more immediately concerned, as I said, with success on the pitch and the current state of the club's finances and the way they are being handled.