Torquay v Eastleigh 13/01/2018 (PP)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This would have been Eastleighs fourth game in nine days - and with a very quick turnaround after Saturday on a heavy pitch this would surely have given us an advantage, particularly as they have a few players over 30.

On that basis despite a poor performance on Saturday I would have fancied us today.

It does seem that everything is conspiring against us.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Sun now shining but ground very wet.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I was actually going to go today but waking up to that rain this morning and the dismal reports from Boreham Wood, certainly hadn’t put me in the mood for 30 mile drive to watch us lose, so I’m kind of relieved it’s off.

It also (hopefully, but I won’t hold my breath) gives us some time to recruit before the next game at Wrexham who, despite appointing a #legend, are doing well and offers not even small crumbs of hope for us, unless we can invigorate the squad, not that Owers has done anything useful in this regard so far.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

On the other hand brucie we may have signed two new players who just might make all the difference. I am ever the optimist!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Surely 0930 hrs is too early for it to be called off. I understand the traveling of fans to the game etc, but surely it was in TUFCs interest to play this game today; Eastleigh's 4th game in 9 days, large NY day crowd???
couple of hours draining under the sun that's beaming down since 0930 and it might be ok???
Last edited by goody2449 on 01 Jan 2018, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Early decisions have to be made I know, but by 3pm pitch would no doubt have been playable given
another 5 hours or so of drying time, sunny and windy now. Not quite as good as Boreham Woods Arsenal
financed pitch but Chris Ralphs summer work has improved it even more, a lot fewer divots this year but
hopefully we will have a couple of new strikers for the next game
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

desperado wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 12:03 Early decisions have to be made I know, but by 3pm pitch would no doubt have been playable given
another 5 hours or so of drying time, sunny and windy now. Not quite as good as Boreham Woods Arsenal
financed pitch but Chris Ralphs summer work has improved it even more, a lot fewer divots this year but
hopefully we will have a couple of new strikers for the next game
:goodpost:
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Quick weather update from St Marychurch.....Sunny and windy all morning. Wonder how hard TUFC lobbied to have the game kept on? Call me an old cynic but perhaps Mr Owers had a look at his potential line up and thought 'this lot couldn't win a raffle if they had every ticket in the hat.'
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well there's a lot more to consider than just travel arrangements. How waterlogged is the pitch at 09.30, what's the weather forecast for the day, is the pitch playable at 09.30, is it going recover in time to be playable at 15.00, if we start this match, what's the chances of the game being abandoned before the end, logistics and cost of that, including the cost of Eastleigh's travel, and so on and on.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

There's always cynical speculation when a game is called off..........

Nothing to beat being out on that pitch at the time of the inspection and experiencing for yourself the underfoot conditions; how much water is in the sub surface and being the person to judge at that time just how much capacity there is from it moving from an unplayable to a playable state AND stying that way until late afternoon.

Despite there being a local derby nearby that I wanted to watch ~ Hendon v Wingate & Finchley on a 3G pitch ~ I've contented myself with devoting a hundred per cent on my 5 year old daughter who is with me for a couple of days; and going for a little jog behind her riding her bike in the parkland around my home.....would have loved to have been listening to that commentary from Plainmoor though!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

well, we start the New Year rock bottom
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Can't think either Owers or Kuhl had the day off. Wonder whether one or both motored to Wrexham's game to prepare for Saturday.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well if they did travel to Wrexham, 244 miles, need a clear M5, they might just get there in time to have seen Barrow score a 94th minute equaliser in a 3-3 draw.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

nickbrod wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 16:48 Can't think either Owers or Kuhl had the day off. Wonder whether one or both motored to Wrexham's game to prepare for Saturday.
Well the answer is there was a normal training session held.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Yer Tiz!

Tomorrow’s matchday thread.

As this is a rearranged fixture, did we have to play this game on the 13/01/18? Could we have pushed it back further to our advantage?

I would have thought that a Tuesday night with a decent striker on board might have been more useful to our League survival.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: