Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Matchday topics are moved here for easier viewing.
Post Reply

Dazza
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 587
Joined: 07 Jul 2014, 21:54
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Torquay v Dover Saturday 7/10/17

Post by Dazza » 07 Oct 2017, 22:42

A lot of you kid yourselves. We had one shot on target all afternoon. We are where we are for a reason. I heard Owers shout at Murphy re Parry 'don't mix it with him' well -as the guy was through him every time he got the ball exactly what was he meant to do ?! The language from the management duo is riper but on the pitch the players move even less than they did under Herrera. At least he called out for speed and quick thinking. We are now lumbering - when we move at all.


merse btpir
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1149
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 10:58
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 07 Oct 2017, 22:58

Dazza wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:42
I heard Owers shout at Murphy re Parry 'don't mix it with him' well -as the guy was through him every time he got the ball exactly what was he meant to do ?!
Be mobile, move him about and try to break up their back line; dismantle their shape!
Dazza wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:42
The language from the management duo is riper but on the pitch the players move even less than they did under Herrera. At least he called out for speed and quick thinking. We are now lumbering - when we move at all.
That's not what I saw at Dagenham and I doubt very much it was like in the first half against Maidenhead. Maybe the team were jaded after a tough Saturday/Tuesday and also a bit 'heavy legged' because there has been so much catching up to do because of the last regime's appalling fitness levels.......I would equate this to being a necessary second pre-season programme they must all be on at the moment.

That said; Manny Parry is a beast who has been bullying and sticking to his opponents like glue for all of last season and this. He needs to be played in a distinctive manner and Dover's goals against column pays testimony to this.

One of my son's friends ~ Keiran Farrell ~ played alongside and understudy to him whilst on loan at Braintree last season from Millwall and he said he learned so much from him as to how to approach football in this very tough league.
Last edited by merse btpir on 07 Oct 2017, 23:19, edited 3 times in total.


Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Posts: 75
Joined: 06 Nov 2016, 18:05
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon » 07 Oct 2017, 23:01

It might have bounced on Tuesday, but that cat sure is dead.


arcadia
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1812
Joined: 07 Oct 2013, 17:48
Favourite player: S Chaney McGinty
Location: Preston Sands

Post by arcadia » 07 Oct 2017, 23:04

Merse I agree about Parry he should have took him out the middle.


tomogull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 10:49
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull » 07 Oct 2017, 23:07

Let's face it - we were beaten by a far better team. Strong, well organised and good movement off the ball - they were well in control for 90% of the match. If we'd lost 4 - 0, we couldn't have complained. Their defence was very solid. Dazza is right - we had just ONE shot on target - a free kick from Luke Young in the second half. Lumbering McQuoid looks about six months away from match fitness to me. Murphy was more intent on playing the player instead of going for the ball. We played a nice passing game in midfield at times - bit like Engalnd the other night. But we aint going to win games farting around in midfield. Allison the ref was dreadful yet again - how many more games is he going to spoil at Plainmoor? Why do we have him so often? He gave strange decisions against both teams, but a few more against us I think. Come back, Brett Huxtable - all is forgiven.

Dover are the best team we have seen at Plainmoor so far this season. If they continue playing like that, they will be up there amongst the leaders at the end of the season. Credit to Gallifuoco as well - he had a very good game.


tomogull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 10:49
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull » 08 Oct 2017, 00:06

merse btpir wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:58
Maybe the team were jaded after a tough Saturday/Tuesday and also a bit 'heavy legged' because there has been so much catching up to do because of the last regime's appalling fitness levels.......
Nothing to do with fitness levels. We were soundly beaten by a physically stronger and superbly organised side. Full credit to Chris Kinnear and his management team. Dover are doing very well this season and will continue to do so if they play like they did today. They were a far, far better team than Maidenhead on Tuesday night, although I think they were affected by their M4/M5 delays and no pre-match preparation.

User avatar

MellowYellow
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 525
Joined: 26 Jul 2013, 15:26
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow » 08 Oct 2017, 00:07

merse btpir wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:58
Maybe the team were jaded after a tough Saturday/Tuesday and also a bit 'heavy legged' because there has been so much catching up to do because of the last regime's appalling fitness levels
We have to stop looking for reasons/excuses for another dire performance. We have come a long way (downhill) when Torquay fans are uttering Dover are a good side. 'Jaded' and 'Heavy legged' ! How can Maidenhead go out and secure a pulsating 3-3 draw against top team, Aldershot this afternoon after what they went through on Tuesday on and off the pitch. Their players got home on Wed morning at approx. 2.30 and all of them had to get up a few hours later to do their day job then go to work Thursday and Friday and some even worked Sat morning and got to the ground for mid-day. Unlike Torquay players no rest day/s or recovery time for them and yet they can still run out onto the field and play a good standard of football. And there really can be no excuses about player fitness, Torquay have the opportunity to train 5 days a week whilst Maidenhead train two days a week .

As unpalatable as this may sound, why don't we just admit we are not good enough for this league and will have to attempt to regroup in the National League South next season.
KEEP THE FAITH!
Image
TUFC


Dutchgull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1297
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 13:15
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull » 08 Oct 2017, 00:56

Because you are talking crap and its October not April so there is time to turn this around. If what you are saying is true then it is pointless turning up for any game this season !! Lets look forward to a local derby with Weston-super -mare !! FOR FUCKS SAKE !!


TUST_Member_Rob
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 581
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 16:53
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by TUST_Member_Rob » 08 Oct 2017, 04:00

looking forward to the start of this week, believe Jordan Lee and George Dowling will be back

Dowling for Lathrope i can imagine will be a sure thing, they will give us a bit more lift and attacking force


Forest gull
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 674
Joined: 07 Dec 2011, 12:36
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Location: Forest of Dean

Post by Forest gull » 08 Oct 2017, 07:52

Shock horror. Team at bottom lost to team challenging for promotion. Have a day off fellas, we were never going to turn into a title winning team after 1 win. We started off the season clearly unfit, with pre season matches against local village sides, no wonder we have taken too long to get going. We now have better players and a proper coach. Things will improve. How many players have we lost to injury? There will be real competition for places soon enough.


merse btpir
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1149
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 10:58
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 08 Oct 2017, 08:38

tomogull wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 00:06
Nothing to do with fitness levels. We were soundly beaten by a physically stronger and superbly organised side.
The squad was so fundamentally fractured in terms of organisation, fitness and quality; that is changing but won't change overnight. Owers is clearly doing his best to bring about change, but as we have seen at our club and other clubs that once a squad is in a tailspin then the likelihood of improving enough to avoid the drop is low.

It is a long term job that HAS to be completed before the season's end!


brucie
Player Manager
Player Manager
Posts: 2977
Joined: 06 Sep 2010, 17:51

Post by brucie » 08 Oct 2017, 12:10

With all due respect to Dover - they might jet down on a plane but we should be able to compete with them. They are hardly a team of world beaters - Christ they struggled against Solihull and Guiseley recently.

For me probably our most disappointing result of the season. One shot on target and we seem to be back to square one. Making the excuse that Dover are top of the league is bollocks really.

The issue still seems to be that our players still are not fit enough.


Dazza
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 587
Joined: 07 Jul 2014, 21:54
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza » 08 Oct 2017, 12:57

Not fit Brucie yes, but also not skilful enough, don't think through the game- no vision, no grit, don't shoot, don't score. They are currently not fit for purpose. Dover were useful but we more or less just gave it all up.

Like you with a fair journey to get to each match I am beginning to ask myself questions about it all...


tomogull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2371
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 10:49
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull » 08 Oct 2017, 13:40

brucie wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 12:10
With all due respect to Dover - they might jet down on a plane but we should be able to compete with them. They are hardly a team of world beaters - Christ they struggled against Solihull and Guiseley recently.

For me probably our most disappointing result of the season. One shot on target and we seem to be back to square one. Making the excuse that Dover are top of the league is bollocks really.

The issue still seems to be that our players still are not fit enough.
I think if you had been there Brucie, you wouldn't describe this as our most disappointing result of the season. There are times when you simply have to give credit to the opposition and say they played bloody well. I didn't think we played particularly poorly - we were beaten by a far better side. They are the best side I have seen since Lincoln last season - physical but fair (maybe their centre-half got away with more than he should, but Murphy didn't help himself) and superbly organised in defence. I actually enjoyed watching their play - i would happily go to watch them every week if that is their usual standard. Dover lost several of their better players during the summer but whether by luck or by design, Chris Kinnear has put together a very good side.

I'm not sure Murphy and McQuoid are going to get us out of the trouble we're in, but there were some positives from yesterday's performance.

User avatar

Lloyder5
Team Captain
Team Captain
Posts: 599
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 16:51
Favourite player: Josh Gowling
Location: Newton Abbot

Post by Lloyder5 » 08 Oct 2017, 14:13

tomogull wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:40
brucie wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 12:10
With all due respect to Dover - they might jet down on a plane but we should be able to compete with them. They are hardly a team of world beaters - Christ they struggled against Solihull and Guiseley recently.

For me probably our most disappointing result of the season. One shot on target and we seem to be back to square one. Making the excuse that Dover are top of the league is bollocks really.

The issue still seems to be that our players still are not fit enough.
I think if you had been there Brucie, you wouldn't describe this as our most disappointing result of the season. There are times when you simply have to give credit to the opposition and say they played bloody well. I didn't think we played particularly poorly - we were beaten by a far better side. They are the best side I have seen since Lincoln last season - physical but fair (maybe their centre-half got away with more than he should, but Murphy didn't help himself) and superbly organised in defence. I actually enjoyed watching their play - i would happily go to watch them every week if that is their usual standard. Dover lost several of their better players during the summer but whether by luck or by design, Chris Kinnear has put together a very good side.

I'm not sure Murphy and McQuoid are going to get us out of the trouble we're in, but there were some positives from yesterday's performance.
I pretty much agree with what you write, although I don't think Dover were far better. I do think that they were a bit better in every department and that gave the impression of a gulf. I think we could have done more to challenge them but played into their strength, e.g. Murphy deciding he wanted to be cannon fodder for their centre-back, rather than moving the guy around, making life difficult in that way.
TUST number 080

Post Reply