Torquay United v Macclesfield Town, Match Day Thread 23/9/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

How quiet this forum is speaks very loudly about how we are all feeling about this club.

I care so incredibly deeply. Supporting this club has pretty much defined my existence. But I am genuinely considering stopping to care. That's not even possible either but it really do wish I didn't care. I could have gone today but it would have been a significant effort and I'm not well enough. I would also have been alone. I'm glad I didn't go. In another club a new manager would come in and there'd be some signs that things are changing. But I don't get that impression from Owers at all.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Oh dear. Not the Brave New World after all. I have to say I feel sorry for Miles Anderson. It is blindingly obvious the poor lad is being played out of position every week. Why does every Torquay manager insist on him going on to the pitch? He has all the safety awareness of a short sighted, hard of hearing, arthritic hedgehog attempting to cross a motorway....it is always going to end badly. Apart from the beautifully weighted pass through to Murphy in the first half there was little guile in midfield. Efete looked promising going forward and the keeper kept us in it. McQ positive when coming on as sub. TUFC's lead at the top of Racing Post's Worst team to follow table is guaranteed for a while longer.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Terrible performance.
Apart from the goalie and josh gowling, none others can claim credit.
As has been obvious all season, we have no attacking threat. No one who can at least hold the ball up.
You can see more emphasis has been placed on playing the ball on the ground against our normal hoof ball.
Unfortunately this means more misplaced passes, (gave the ball away) poor ball control (gave the ball away) and too many back passes, one of which lead to their goal.
We gifted the opposition another 3 points, they weren't great.
The only positive was, I was sat in the sunshine, with a lovely view of the moors.
Next home game, if the suns still shinning, I know where I'll be.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble is, think we're all running out of words to describe the same old same old. To be fair did anyone really, I'm seriously think Owers was going to this mess around in a week, I wasn't, it's going to take him 6 weeks plus to start moving things in his direction, can he turn it around in time, if at all, we'll see.

Today, the team huffed and puffed, had some good moments, some bad, no urgency until it was to late, lost the game to a horrendous mistake, that's about all, apart from Dorel the keeper, class act, way to good for us, and young lad from Norwich had a good game.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

If Nicho didnt think so much of the club and fans i bet he would be laughing his head off right now. Which given the slagging hes had who could blame him. The bottom line is we are shite, have players no one else wanted bar a few and frankly even if Sir Alex walked through the door on monday morning it probably wouldnt do much good with what weve got.
We need a miracle at the minute , pure and simple !!,,
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

He signed all the crap ones!
Tust member 191
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Horsesh.t to blame him entirely. Maybe you forget the current regime we still operate under. Im just saying that if weve pulled out all the stops to get the right man in who has carte blanche ,usually that can do the trick even in the very short term . There is no evidence of that. Given that nicho had 4 games i guess there will be those calling for GOs head week after next if we dont get 3 points on the board eh ?
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

He had well over 60 games.
I am not blaming him for all. His time was up. He wasnt motivating the team and the fitness levels were dire.
He himself said he had a bigger budget this season.
Football is about results, nice guy or not.
He deseves thanks for his effort but its time to get behind the new guy now.
Tust member 191
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

As disappointing and frustrating as that was (and it was), I actually thought we looked OK until the goal went in. It's unbelievably frustrating that one stupid f**king pass from Anderson gifted them their goal. WTF was he thinking!?
TUST member 203
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I was surprised that Anderson was at left back I thought that lesson was learnt but of coarse Garry Owers has got to find out for himself. Both Ried and Anderson are just not up to it.

The team was set up 4-5-1 and we got to half-time just about but you must ask the referee why he did not send the keeper off when I think Murphy was clean through.
Second half with two up front we were better McQuiod looked a very good player and we started to create chances until Anderson changed sides and gifted them with the winner and yes both Ried and Anderson were Nichos signings and should not have been retained.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

If we sign anyone else I want it to be a no nonsense CM. someone who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck win 2nd balls and give us a bit of fight!

And still we clearly lack a target man, aimless balls forward came back from 79year old CB Lowe today!
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 18:08 Horsesh.t to blame him entirely. Maybe you forget the current regime we still operate under. Im just saying that if weve pulled out all the stops to get the right man in who has carte blanche ,usually that can do the trick even in the very short term . There is no evidence of that. Given that nicho had 4 games i guess there will be those calling for GOs head week after next if we dont get 3 points on the board eh ?
Unlikely. Nico asked to be judged when it was his team. We judged and he went. Only a handful of players are Owers players.

I Anderson was a shambles at LB.
Murphy's attempt to get a Free Kick in the first half was poor. If he had had more conviction taking it around the goalie, he would have had a clear chance and an open goal to aim at.
A shot stopped on the line and a couple of brilliant chances for Gowling from FK's was more goal action than we've seen in weeks.
Dorel is brilliant and we can only hope that he stays all season.
Efete showed great promise and make a few runs down the wing.
Keating had a good chance but seemed afraid to pull the trigger and the moment was gone.

Disappointing to lose again but it is going to take a few weeks before a style of play starts to take shape.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I agree with most of what is said above. The players have low confidence, exemplified by their fear of passing the ball & their tendency to avoid taking risks by hoofing the ball up the field again and again. Confidence isn't helped though when referees make decisions like the clown in charge today. The Macclesfield keeper should have been sent off for the challenge In the first half, no question at all, the ref screwed it up and should be utterly ashamed. We had a few chances to score, but rarely threatened in the last quarter. Not great to watch today, we made Macclesfield look good, which they clearly aren't. The fans are now expecting poor performances, sad to see them being delivered so regularly.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

No coach in the world can legislate for players making the sort of mistake that gave Macclesfield their goal. We just can't retain any sort of possession of the ball and at no point do we get any control of the game. Danny Whittaker for Macclesfield is the perfect example of what we need in the middle of the park - simple passes, finds space and keeps them ticking over. And that obnoxious little turd Dorrell also had quite a good game for them too.

Its going to be a long haul.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Even Nicholson had enough sense not to start a game with Anderson at left back. A decision that cost another point. We played like a team with five centre backs in. Too many players without any balance or movement - a team of soldiers I'm afraid. We have a long long way to go - probably via the National South on that form...