Guiseley v Torquay United 19/08

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PaulBreen
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by PaulBreen »

As a Charlton fan who follows Torquay as my lower league team I picked a bad day to go, but then that's been the case for a while. The first 30 minutes were atrocious from Torquay, even worse than games I have seen before against Dartford, Maidstone and Ferriby. Then that 2 minute spell brought the team to life when they got two goals and confidence grew. By the middle of the second half they should have been 6-1 up though at the same time Clarke made a few crucial saves and the post was shaved more than once. Then when Guiseley got a lucky equaliser the team's confidence just went to s**t. It was visible. They looked like nervous wrecks. It was inevitable they were going to concede a third. But the real difference was probably the fact that Guiseley have a squad of nearly thirty players and were able to stick on 3 subs of equal or possibly better quality than the players they replaced. From what I have seen for the last 2 years the Torquay squad is absolutely threadbare and they seem to have lost that guy Nicholson whose name appears at the bottom of the team list. From what I gather on here and from what I saw at Lincoln at Easter, sometimes his substitutions have played a part in defeats. Today I noticed Robbie Herrera held back on subs though did make two before the end. Those weren't what swung the result though. It was the absolute collapse of confidence in the defence. With a goalie like Clarke that shouldn't happen. But it did. Hoping to go to Bromley in a few weeks time. Hopefully things will have changed by then. Should have stayed in Charlton, where they ran out 4-1 winners over Northampton. But at least I got to see the countryside and a few glimmers of hope in today's Torquay performance. With a bit of confidence and with Gowling and Davis in the team things might change.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Some points from today's match.

Harrop and Ralph where in attendance here today, in the first port a cabin after turnstiles.
Clarke was very disappointing today, couldn't catch the ball.
First 20 minutes was awful, we could have been 3-0 down
We then got into gear, and scored 2 quick well taken goals.
Now for the 2nd half. Probably the best performance I have seen from Torquay, we absolutely battered guiesley. If only we had shot first rather than try and pass/walk it in, we would have scored 6+.
Keating gets subbed on 85 minutes and then it goes horribly wrong, I'm not sure what happened but it was heart wrenching at the end. How Keating is awarded the own goal, just highlights the farce of the BBC and sky sports.
Fantastic 2nd half support and banter from the yellow army, reckon around 150-170
As painful as it was at the end, clearly this team can play, we just need a leader now. Yes, we lost but it doesn't tell the story.
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arrywithanh wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 17:17 I think you would find we would have lost regardless, we played the same style, lacklustre, relying on players who are not good enough, unless I am mistaken...
thanks for your (incorrect) insight there......
especially as you weren't f**king there.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Back from match - what a strange one. Their first goal should have been prevented, and the leaky defence was breached several more times in the first half, with Guisley hitting the post and crossbar more than once, and some Clarke saves. Yet after their goal we did up the tempo a bit, with some neat passing, and snatched 2 goals. Keating was my man of the match. Yes he misses chances, but he also creates them out of nothing, and holds the ball up well. If they all worked like him, we would be fine.
Second half we were in control, and many chances went begging - mainly a reluctance to pull the trigger quickly. Reid wasteful. JP ?? Still, it was just a question of when we would score as Guisley seemed demoralised. But near the end of normal time they scored, and we would have settled for a draw. But that was followed by a frantic 7 mins when they threw everything forward, Their 3rd goal was an almightly scramble of blocked shots- even the stadium anouncer said he had no idea who scored. To put it into perspective, a couple of mature Guisley regulars behind me said Torquay were the better team and Guisley lucky to win.
But last years main problem, a leaky defence is still there, and the midfield needs strengthening as well. Felt sorry for Herrera in the end
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 20:40 Some points from today's match.

Harrop and Ralph where in attendance here today, in the first port a cabin after turnstiles.
Clarke was very disappointing today, couldn't catch the ball.
First 20 minutes was awful, we could have been 3-0 down
We then got into gear, and scored 2 quick well taken goals.
Now for the 2nd half. Probably the best performance I have seen from Torquay, we absolutely battered guiesley. If only we had shot first rather than try and pass/walk it in, we would have scored 6+.
Keating gets subbed on 85 minutes and then it goes horribly wrong, I'm not sure what happened but it was heart wrenching at the end. How Keating is awarded the own goal, just highlights the farce of the BBC and sky sports.
Fantastic 2nd half support and banter from the yellow army, reckon around 150-170
As painful as it was at the end, clearly this team can play, we just need a leader now. Yes, we lost but it doesn't tell the story.
agree with the points that Lucy has made. feel absolutely gutted. a game we should have won comfortably. if had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it to stop guiseley taking any further unnecessary punishment,
they had two opportunities in the 2nd half and were lucky to score them!
as lucy has said dire first 20, but amazingly we played better from 1 down.
some nice passing, plenty of width from reid and gosling and deserved to go in 2-1 up at HT.
then for 40mins of the 2nd half we were all over them - they barely got out of their own half - just waiting for the 3rd goal - if it had gone in we'd have ended up with 5 or 6.
devastated for the players as the effort was there today.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Who is Ralph? Do you mean Chris Rich?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 20:55 Who is Ralph? Do you mean Chris Rich?
Oops yes. I must have been thinking of the groundsman
Lucy
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

By the way, the end of the match saw McGinty furiouly arguing with another Torquay player. He had to be restrained. But I did not see who he was arguing with. Please tell.....
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

chestertorkyman wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 21:07 By the way, the end of the match saw McGinty furiouly arguing with another Torquay player. He had to be restrained. But I did not see who he was arguing with. Please tell.....
Probably klukowski, they had a rant in 1st half. This was due to klukowski not communicating. He was poor today, so I can only presume until we see Tv footage, that mcginty had an issue with klukowski defending at the end. But equally he needs to grow up..klukowski that is.
Last edited by lucy6lucy on 19 Aug 2017, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Reckon Mc Ginty is as frustrated as most of us are. He was pretty vocal in a PSF against Plymouth at one of our trialists.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I've not problem with it...i saw him ranting at end....id be more worried if he didn't give a toss ....i came away actually feeling promise...if we can just keep doing what we did on 2nd half we will be ok...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The issue was with Mcginty and Jamie Reid apparently
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

BBC website showing our league position wrong...radio Devon just done a sport report saying we are 2nd from bottom ???? No we are bottom
..piss poor from the BBC
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Obviously the first priority of the new manager if Gowling and Davis are still weeks away is to get a loan
centre back and left back in, things could have been different the last four games if they had played
Nicholson can count himself unlucky there
Yan or Yak Klukowski as the Herald called him (probably more appropriate) didnt sound like he had a good game
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I was having a lovely day at Bigbury on sea yesterday. Turned the radio on at 4.25pm roughly, 2-1 up, listened for a few minutes and gee we are playing well. Said to the missus we will lose this 3-2 so I'm not listening anymore as I don't want to ruin my day. I didn't even want to look at 5.15pm so the missus did, when she said 3-2 I thought, thank God I spent the afternoon here doing something else.
TUST MEMBER