Torquay v Lincoln Sat. 3 Sept. (k.o. 5:30 pm) match thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Torquay v Lincoln Sat. 3 Sept. (k.o. 5:30 pm) match thread

Post by Gullscorer »

Lincoln City FC, our visitors this coming weekend, have made a good start to the season. They're currently in third place with 15 points, and have scored 19 goals, more than any other club in our League this season, with a goal difference of 12, above Dagenham also on 15 points.

Lincoln has a long history as a Football League club, and we've had some great tussles with them over the years. Between 2002-2003 and 2006-2007 they reached the play-offs in five consecutive seasons, losing in the final twice (2002–03 and 2004–05) and the semi-finals three times, but they were relegated to the National League in 2009. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_City_F.C.

I haven’t been able, in the time available, to ascertain their financial situation, nor the size of their playing budget – perhaps somebody could enlighten us - but, like us, they desperately want to get back to the Football League. Their manager since 2014 is Chris Moyses.

As for us Gulls, after a shaky and uncertain start, we now appear to be back on the rails and getting into our stride, having won our last two games (home and away) with improving performances. It’s still early days of course, but a win for us against Lincoln could see us in the top half of the table (possibly depending on goal difference).

Top goalscorers:

Torquay: Jamie Reid 2, and five others on 1 goal each.

Lincoln: Jonathan Margetts 5, Matthew Rhead 4, Adam Marriott 3, others on 1 goal each.

Last time out: Monday 29 August 2016:

Braintree 1 Torquay 3

Our team: Moore, McGinty, Rowe-Turner, Chaney (Scrivens 74m), Sparkes, Verma, Gallifuoco, Young, Ward, Reid (Chamberlain 77m), Blissett (Williams 66m); subs not used: Gerring, Robba.

Lincoln 3 Gateshead 0.

Lincoln’s team: Farman, Wood, Habergham, H Anderson, Rhead (Margetts 70m), Waterfall, Marriott (Power 84m), Beevers, Raggett, Arnold (Hawkridge 79m), Woodyard; subs not used: Walker, McCombe.

Last season’s games:

Lincoln 2-0 Torquay, on 26 September 2015

Torquay 1-3 Lincoln, on 21 November 2015

I reckon this is one of those games which is going to be really worth watching against one of the early season front runners. Take someone with you, and help make it one of the biggest attendances of the season. Remember, the kick-off is at 5:30 pm. Following the last two good results, our lads deserve a decent crowd, good support, and an exciting atmosphere up at Plainmoor.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote: Their manager since 2014 is Chris Moyses.
Their manager is actually Danny Cowley the ex Braintree boss.

They sold their top scorer (Margetts) to Scunthorpe this week.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jerry wrote: Their manager is actually Danny Cowley the ex Braintree boss.
They sold their top scorer (Margetts) to Scunthorpe this week.

:) Thanks Jerry. Unless I misread something, their O.S./Wiki pages are out of date.

Anyway, we'll win 2-1.. :scarf:
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Thanks for starting this topic Gullscorer.

Looking forward to this one with our recent change of form. Let's bag another 3 points. 1-0 cheeky win for me.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

ImpDale
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: None

Post by ImpDale »

The Lincoln playing budget is reportedly in the region of £400-500k. The fans also raised approx £50k last month and Lincoln sold Jonny Margetts for an undisclosed fee yesterday. Although Margetts was the leading scorer with 5 goals, he scored 4 of them in one single game. Matt Rhead has 4 and Adam Marriot has 3. So far Lincoln have scored 19 goals winning 6-1, 4-0 and 3-0 recently.

Lincoln have also recently struck a deal with Coop Bank to repay an overdraft and an overseas investor is reportedly putting in a six figure sum of money over the next 4-5 years. The financial situation at Lincoln is better than it has been fir years and crowds are up about 1000 per game on last season (3500 ish).

Lincoln are also 3rd favourites for promotion behind Tranmere and Forest Green at odds of between 7-1 and 9-1.

They are also looking for their third consecutive win after beating Southport (H) 4-0, Macclesfield (A) 2-1 and Gateshead (H) 3-0. Lincoln are on a roll with free scoring strikers, a creative midfield and decent defence. They may well have a striker, Macauley Bonne, in on loan from Colchester by the weekend and are rumoured to be interested in Ricky Miller with a price tag believed to be in the region of £100k.

Danny and Nicky Cowley are the management duo.

Could be a tough game for Torquay. I'm going for 2-0 Lincoln.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ImpDale wrote: They are also looking for their third consecutive win after beating Southport (H) 4-0, Macclesfield (A) 2-1 and Gateshead (H) 3-0.
Yes - that all looks very impressive. But didn't you lose at home to Sutton Utd 3 -1 ......... ? :whistle:
ImpDale
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: None

Post by ImpDale »

We did indeed. We lost to a well funded Sutton side with 2500 football league appearances between members of the squad. We had a man sent off on 30 minutes and had Matt Rhead go off in the first 15 minutes with a pulled hamstring. Not making excuses, we were well beaten by them on the day. They are an experienced outfit who will do the same to a few other teams this season. A very clever lot who use gamesmanship to influence the ref at every opportunity.

I think we've got into our stride a little since then though, pulling off wins against a couple of decent sides in Macc and Gateshead, plus the trouncing of Southport. Torquay will be another good test though. I'm hoping the loss of Margetts won't knock us off our stride. I don't think it will as he's only been with us for 6 weeks and to be honest, I think it could have been any one of our 3 main strikers receiving interest from higher opposition.

I was looking at the betting odds the other day too and we were evens to get the result on Saturday and at 6/5 at present. Odds mean nothing when the game is on though and I think it will be a decent show for those watching on BT Sport. We have a nasty habit of putting on a poor show in front of the cameras so you never know.

Good luck, I wish you guys all the best and hope we see a good entertaining game.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Lincoln are overdue a return to the Football League, so good luck to them this season (but not at the expense of Torquay United of course)! :)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

My prediction:
TUFC (0) 0 Lincoln City 2 (2)

Att: 1767
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

We're generally rubbish in front of the live TV cameras as well.

Heart says we'll batter them but head says it will be a scoring draw. I'll plump for 2 - 2.

COYY

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

wivelgull wrote:My prediction:
TUFC (0) 0 Lincoln City 2 (2)

Att: 1767
Another blinder from Cheerful Charlie and his gang. And your point is .... ?

PS I hope Whitby get stuffed by Winsford tomorrow :lol:
TUST member 200 ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Forecast for tomorrow evening is wet and windy. That could have a bearing on the result and as a T.V. spectacle. I agree with Gullscorer that the Imps deserve a change of fortune after many seasons out of the league, but they can start winning again after tomorrow's draw. ;-)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I hope Nicho keeps Richards on the bench as he's been having problems and should ease him back. The players will have belief and that is like an extra player in your side.

There will be a lot of scouts watching our youngsters as well.

Just hope the weather holds and we get a good crowd and a good win. :keepie:
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

TUFC twitter about 10mins ago

The match is on. The groundsman is confident. See you soon for #YellowDay. Maybe wear a fisherman's mac? That's yellow... #tufc
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Can't make this one as I'm going on holiday tomorrow. Will be watching on the tele!

Hoping for a win but a draw wouldn't be the end of the world against a side on good form. Would like to see Chaney (not necessarily starting) in a central role. Richards still not 100% so not worth the risk with reasonably good cover in this area of midfield.

2-1 Gulls
Att: 2087