Torquay vs Dover Sat 27th - Matchday Topic

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mr. Quelch has recently retired as Latin master at Greyfriars School.
stueyb
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: williams

Post by stueyb »

From a Dovers perspective whilst yes, we feel a bit hard done by, and certainly felt we did enough to get at least a draw, I think you just about shaded it. Both teams wasted some glorious chances and no more bigger opportunity was wasted with Thomas's header half way through the first period, but I wouldn't say you were lucky, in fact you surprised as a bit, in that you probably played a lot better than your early results indicated would be the case.

For once we definitely weren't as organised defensively as we usually are and in a very tight game you made us pay for that, but letting in a goal within seconds of equalising was a real kick in the goolies, and very unlike us, but at least we battled through to the end. Yes we had load of corners, but simply didn't do enough with them, and whilst Arnold was by far the busiest of the two keepers and we in turn simply didn't work yours anywhere near enough. Because our boss rarely changes a winning side, which even if some of us disagree with, we are used to it also meant Moore and particularly Miller were on the bench again and as the last fifteen minutes proved had they not been, it could have easily been a different story, but football is all about ifs and but's and there is little point dwelling on what could have been.

We know we can't and won't win the league, but with a couple of more signings to supplement our really small squad, we do genuinely feel we are more -than capable of staying in the play off mix and along the way doing what we do best and enjoy most, beating up on the more established and far more wealthier sides in the league.
As Kinnear says we don't expect to win every game, and as supporters we believe we will always win a lot more than we lose, and though any defeat hurts, hopefully we will move on quickly enough for tomorrows game against Aldershot and am sure we will, we normally do, Result apart though we enjoyed the trip and wish you guys all the best for the campaign.

Notice you were over 400 down on your alleged break even figure yesterday, which rather suggests your chairman will probably be more concerned than your manager!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Lloyder5 wrote: Be fair to Brucie, he does his best with predictions, none of the rest of us could do any better, with not seeing the team play and all... ^.^
Here's a tip about understanding what it is to a supporter, Brucie. Rather than posting interminable negative, defeatist comments from afar, try having a bit of faith and a little hope, and sending positive thoughts.

And pay the entry fee occasionally. Meet me in Gulls Nest and I'll buy you a pint (flat lemonade, naturally). :)
TUST member 200 ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

torq2u wrote:Meet me in Gulls Nest and I'll buy you a pint (flat lemonade, naturally). :)
Is that all they have to offer? :O
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Mr. Quelch has recently retired as Latin master at Greyfriars School.
Ha - very good, Wivel. Another good away point for Whitby sees the seasiders move up to sixth in the Evostick North Premier. You must have suffered a nosebleed when you looked at the league table this morning. :scarf:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks for your post Stueyb from a Dover perspective. You're certainly one of the better sides in this League and gave us a good game. We've lost to worse sides, but I'm sure we'll improve as we go along despite not having a huge squad, and hopefully we'll both end up with successful seasons.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

What I was trying to say is once we got our quick goal after theirs we had no composure we had Williams up front who could hold the ball but all he wanted to do is beat a player and we did not use the width and keep it there we were looking for another goal which could have been suicide as the shot that hit the post could have gone in. That was lucky!

It was nail a biting game but the players have a lot to learn once they are ahead.

I enjoyed it after the 93 minutes BRILLIANT.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Great result, just shows we can compete. What a strange league this will be this season, not often after 6 matches you have 7th-20th place separated by 3 points. What's going on at Woking.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

lucy6lucy wrote:Great result, just shows we can compete. What a strange league this will be this season, not often after 6 matches you have 7th-20th place separated by 3 points. What's going on at Woking.
Woking another club claiming 'poverty' as Gary Hill manager said " There’s no doubt about it, next season is going to be even tougher and people should realise we have got a bottom-four budget,”. Is Torquay one of the bottom four? I do wonder how can we claim to be in such a poverty stricken state when teams such as Working and Dover are part time and some team have gates under 1000 e.g this Sat - Guiseley 565 Barrow 966 even Dag& Red just scraped over a 1k and their 2nd in league. (Have we not got more season ticket sales than that?). I think most clubs are poverty stricken expect those with Chairman who pump money into the club then off-set the lost against their profitable businesses. However, Torquay are one of the better supported sides and one would expect any loses to be minimal and with the sale of Gus and a half decent cup run this season one would look to them being profitable at seasons end. This being based on a club taken over without any debts, or so we were told. Or am I being over-simplistic!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

MellowYellow wrote: Woking another club claiming 'poverty' as Gary Hill manager said " There’s no doubt about it, next season is going to be even tougher and people should realise we have got a bottom-four budget,”. Is Torquay one of the bottom four? I do wonder how can we claim to be in such a poverty stricken state when teams such as Working and Dover are part time and some team have gates under 1000 e.g this Sat - Guiseley 565 Barrow 966 even Dag& Red just scraped over a 1k and their 2nd in league. (Have we not got more season ticket sales than that?). I think most clubs are poverty stricken expect those with Chairman who pump money into the club then off-set the lost against their profitable businesses. However, Torquay are one of the better supported sides and one would expect any loses to be minimal and with the sale of Gus and a half decent cup run this season one would look to them being profitable at seasons end. This being based on a club taken over without any debts, or so we were told. Or am I being over-simplistic!
Yes, you are! A sustainably successful club is one where income exceeds expenditure. Having made the ludicrous decision to offer season tickets at £200 we have increased our break-even figure from 1800 last season to 2200 this season. It didn't take long for us to fall below that figure and when we get into the depths of the season when the short-term windfall of 1000 season ticket sales has been spent and the crowds for Tuesday night barely exceed 1200 expect to see our losses mount rapidly. Then ask yourself why on earth would anyone want to pump more money into what is a bottomless pit!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Our losses have already mounted. It's believed the club will have to pay back between some where between £50-70k to G.I, then add in the believed 5 figure loss the will have to pick up from Yellowfest 2, happen to think the season ticket deal was a good idea though, had the club kept the prices as last year, they'd have sold less than a third of what they did sell, with no guarantee those extra fans would have paid on the gate, it guaranteed our club a certain level of income, and our club has to rebuild it's fan base, there's a lot who've turned their backs on the club who are not coming back, the club has to win new fans, and cheap season tickets are one way of doing that.

Yes we are being over-simplistic; attendances mean nothing, as rightly pointed out it's income v expenditure, figures used for argument sake only.

Club A has an average gate of 2,000 earns £100 and spends £99.99, club B has an average gate of 1,000 earns £50 and spends £25 which club is better off.

As I pointed out on another thread, it's my belief that the running costs of part-time club, can be, are significantly less than a full time club, the running costs of a full-time club down here in Torquay at the level we now play at, can be higher, where I believe our club is even more hamstrung by our location that our football league days, reason, the club is minus about £600k a year income that came with football league membership, supporter numbers are down partly due to home supporters , largely due to lower away supporter numbers in the main.

Again figures for argument sake, if who have top London based player at this level being offered a part-time contract to remain in London for £375 a week, and being offered full-time professional football at Torquay for £400 a week, what's he going to do, not relocate for an extra £25, so our club to attract the right players are probably having to offer more than they'd like to, or afford on the clubs income.

Difference between now and our last spell in the conference, our club was relatively cash rich back then, Buckle was backed with a hefty player budget, by a new board who pumped money in, Buckle was able to offer 2 year contracts on top conference wages, signing players was easy, problem is, the losses wracked up, and the money ran out, so Nicho does not and will not have that luxury, nor will he be able to keep his best players and add quality over time, unless the clubs income rises, either by 1500 extra fans turning up, or a new stadium.

None of the above is to hard to work out.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

forevertufc wrote:Our losses have already mounted. It's believed the club will have to pay back between some where between £50-70k to G.I, then add in the believed 5 figure loss the will have to pick up from Yellowfest 2, happen to think the season ticket deal was a good idea though, had the club kept the prices as last year, they'd have sold less than a third of what they did sell, with no guarantee those extra fans would have paid on the gate, it guaranteed our club a certain level of income, and our club has to rebuild it's fan base, there's a lot who've turned their backs on the club who are not coming back, the club has to win new fans, and cheap season tickets are one way of doing that.

Yes we are being over-simplistic; attendances mean nothing, as rightly pointed out it's income v expenditure, figures used for argument sake only.

Club A has an average gate of 2,000 earns £100 and spends £99.99, club B has an average gate of 1,000 earns £50 and spends £25 which club is better off.

As I pointed out on another thread, it's my belief that the running costs of part-time club, can be, are significantly less than a full time club, the running costs of a full-time club down here in Torquay at the level we now play at, can be higher, where I believe our club is even more hamstrung by our location that our football league days, reason, the club is minus about £600k a year income that came with football league membership, supporter numbers are down partly due to home supporters , largely due to lower away supporter numbers in the main.

Again figures for argument sake, if who have top London based player at this level being offered a part-time contract to remain in London for £375 a week, and being offered full-time professional football at Torquay for £400 a week, what's he going to do, not relocate for an extra £25, so our club to attract the right players are probably having to offer more than they'd like to, or afford on the clubs income.

Difference between now and our last spell in the conference, our club was relatively cash rich back then, Buckle was backed with a hefty player budget, by a new board who pumped money in, Buckle was able to offer 2 year contracts on top conference wages, signing players was easy, problem is, the losses wracked up, and the money ran out, so Nicho does not and will not have that luxury, nor will he be able to keep his best players and add quality over time, unless the clubs income rises, either by 1500 extra fans turning up, or a new stadium.

Exactly!

I spoke to someone associated with Basingstoke Town a couple of years ago and what you have said above is spot on. I don't know the exact numbers but many of the players Basingstoke had lived in London and did part time jobs. They trained a couple of evenings a week I think.
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

forevertufc wrote:Our losses have already mounted. It's believed the club will have to pay back between some where between £50-70k to G.I, then add in the believed 5 figure loss the will have to pick up from Yellowfest 2, happen to think the season ticket deal was a good idea though, had the club kept the prices as last year, they'd have sold less than a third of what they did sell, with no guarantee those extra fans would have paid on the gate, it guaranteed our club a certain level of income, and our club has to rebuild it's fan base, there's a lot who've turned their backs on the club who are not coming back, the club has to win new fans, and cheap season tickets are one way of doing that.

Exactly!

I spoke to someone associated with Basingstoke Town a couple of years ago and what you have said above is spot on. I don't know the exact numbers but many of the players Basingstoke had lived in London and did part time jobs. They trained a couple of evenings a week I think.
TUST MEMBER
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Excellent post. Also we are hamstrung by extra travel costs, those clubs clustered together around the m25 and the midlands are at an advantage compared to us. Also I understand with any profits made from transfers 50% goes to Thea Bristow so a large slice of the Angus windfall is already gone.